Y/Fin on the menu

Page  123 13>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fishntips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Y/Fin on the menu
    Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 8:49pm
fishntips View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Was eating out with the Mrs the other night and noticed there was yellowfin tuna on the restaurant's fixed menu. After a few questions to the owner, they said it was fresh and on their menu year round. When asked where it came from they said "the local boats out here". I know the local boats go and fish all the way up past the Kermadecs but could this be right, would they have fresh yellowfin year round from our local boats? I was doubtful to say the least.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 9:20pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

doubt it very much
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote C A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 9:30pm
C A View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

i didnt know samoa was considered local, nor asian fisherman 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fishntips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 9:42pm
fishntips View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Was in Paihia in case you're wondering. Wasn't that impressed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 9:50pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Kinda had to double take and reread your openning line there F'n'T!!!

Herby should be able to answer this one....i say all restaurants serving tuna, swords etc should be boycotted and told why.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clemmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 10:19pm
Clemmo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Kezza Kezza wrote:

Kinda had to double take and reread your openning line there F'n'T!!!

Herby should be able to answer this one....i say all restaurants serving tuna, swords etc should be boycotted and told why.

x2
>)))))> www.harbourheatpumps.co.nz <(((((<
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clemmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 10:22pm
Clemmo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

What kind of tuna would the 'fresh tuna' in your standard sushi restaurant be?
>)))))> www.harbourheatpumps.co.nz <(((((<
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 10:35pm
The cook View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Several companies that supply fresh yellow fin all year round.
Most comes from Samoa & Tonga.
Airfreight to NZ, very good quality usually (not that I'm advocating selling it on menu but have worked for plenty of places that use it).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 10:36pm
The cook View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Clemmo Clemmo wrote:

What kind of tuna would the 'fresh tuna' in your standard sushi restaurant be?
Almost always yellowfin or big eye
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Saltiga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 10:42pm
Saltiga View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

just got back from vanuatu and the com boats there were unloading heaps of big ass 80kegs + yellowfin for export, 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 10:43pm
Fishing Addiction View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm lucky enough to have tried it but certainly feel for the long term future of these magical fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote roddholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2012 at 12:58am
roddholder View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

they have been catching them out from new plymouth until recently, of the challenger rise.

they are a legitimate commercial catch, no quota. they are caught outside nz waters, so why the boycot.

game fishermen dont treat their tuna catch with respect, they have to be bled and gutted as soon as they are caught to be any good for eating.
game fishing rules prohibit a gutted tuna from being weighed.

i remember seeing heaps of y/f tuna dumped in the whakatane tip after the tuna tournament in years gone by, so dont tell me its the commercial boys that do all the damage.
she was only a fishermans daughter, but she reeled at the sight of my rod!.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2012 at 6:09am
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Because they are getting f##ked over in every ocean they swim in....regardless of who caught it or where it came from it is a crap idea engouraging a market for it.....it's either up to the end user or a complete collapse of the fishery....i have the feeling i know which model will win that race! But in the meantime every little over priced seared medalion of tuna served on some swannky bed of swannk on a large white plate is just another nail in the coffin for the species!

How many recreational yellowfin were caught during say the 2011/13 season and 1999/2000 season......and i agree the wastage at some comps was complete BS but in the grand scheme of things a drop in the ocean without justifying it at all!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote roddholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2012 at 1:00pm
Gold
Gold

so just who is to blame for the lack of y/f tuna in our waters?.

mostly it is ocean current changes, but certainly not commercial fishing.

do you know the history of y/f tuna in our waters?. i very much doubt a pup like you would know when they started turning up here....... or why.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boz19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2012 at 1:06pm
Boz19 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by roddholder roddholder wrote:

do you know the history of y/f tuna in our waters?. i very much doubt a pup like you would know when they started turning up here....... or why.

Are you for real? You must be having a laugh. Surely... Confused

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Merlin the marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2012 at 1:08pm
Merlin the marlin View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

If a NZ fishing vessel is working outside of our EEZ Exclusive economic zone 200miles+ It's quite possible that they could be unloading it in NZ ports as over the years a lot of them have been doing this.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2012 at 1:30pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

hahahaha....your "old dog" brain letting you down there champ!....If you really believe a change in currents has effected the global biomass (these fish don't belong to New Zealand just incase you weren't aware of that) then it is probably time to up the dosages....

Pup?....FFS dude....last time I looked nearly 40 isn't exactly a spring chicken but I guess that is all relative thou....I've seen with my own eyes NZs recreational catch of YFT go from awesome to Shiiiithouse in a very short time ,read enough scientific data and the like to have an informed opinion whether you like it or not and if you don't like it - how about facts from the report linked below:

Just to bring you in to the current century - tuna stock demise is due to the end user paying restaurants/super-makets to satisfy the worlds appetite for fresh tuna, those guys then pay fish receivers, who then pay commercial fishermen, who pay fishery companies, who then pay share holders and/or the government (can be one in the same)....how many hands are being held out for their slice of sashimi-gold? this is why there is a 'bounty' on the head of the last tuna that swims because of supply and demand - that old chestnut!....remove the demand and what happens?

not once have I blamed 'commercial fishermen' in this thread - that is in your over active imagination gramps - the cause of dwindling biomass on a global scale is the entire process and money go-a-round it creates.....by all end users boycotting tuna products that would mean the entire process fails and becomes uneconomic...no demand no what?...more tuna in the water that is what...the other scenario of a complete collapse is the other one that will make the economy of scale in the tuna fishery unviable when it costs more to untie the tuna harvester vessels for the return they get....again more tuna in the water if a male and female happen to get it together.

Rod-Holder (apt. name by the way) your rose-tinted bifocals are a bit foggy on this subject...this is NOT A New Zealand centric issue or one of blaming the commercial guys doing what they do.....sure some of the methods of harvesting are very destructive but its world hunger for fresh tuna and the process that means if you are able to get your zimmer frame aboard a boat it will be unlikely you will catch another YFT recreationally in NZs water....good luck to you if you do thou!

I'm really not sure why you made it 'personal' but you obviously have your reasons.....but that is the last from me....peace-out!

PS - very curious as to when Tuna did start turning up here?....a few million years at a guess?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote roddholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2012 at 6:27pm
Gold
Gold

the y/f tuna was first caught in b.o.p. waters in march 1961.
i know that for a fact because i was on the boat that caught the first recorded one.
the angler was alan park of rotorua.
it was hooked when trolling near plate is. (off pukehina)
it was about 1m long and we first thought it was an albacore.
the fish was sent to wellington and i.d. was made.
they showed up in large numbers soon after that and ray buchannan, tony hultain and rod bellerby were the first guys to target them as sport fish.

it was about this time the weather forcasters started talking about el nino, and el ninio weather patterns.
if you were alive at that time and were farming the you would know about the changing weather paterns.

if y/f tuna were here always as you contend why were none caught?.

re-read the report and even you may understand that ocean water temps and currents are to blame for the non appearance of y/f tuna near our coastline..
the report stats are based on game fishing clubs records, but there is no record of water temps to catch rates.
they do give a clue though as fish were only caught between october and may.
commercial fishermen were catching them just north of n.z. all year round, as indeed they do now.

y/f tuna dont breed in our waters, so they are only ever summer visitors. and always will be.

so back to your proposed boycott of tuna on the menu. the fish are legitimately caught, and you cant blame a fisherman for selling his catch and making a living.

as for making it personal, i will do so in future if you continue with more ill informed rants.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JAKE D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2012 at 6:48pm
JAKE D View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Im sorry but what? have you ever thought maybe the reason they werent caught before 1961 is because not many people had the boats,the technology or the ingenuity to target them? or maybe they just didnt bother weighing them or notifying anybody about it as game fishing had not taken off yet in NZ?
As what happens with basically every single fishery in the world is one some discovers it, others find out about it, technology is formulated to target it, and it gets fished. Simple
People only really knew about the SBF tuna running off the sth island west coast less than 10yrs ago, can we assume they werent there previously aswell?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2012 at 6:48pm
mark c View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Page  123 13>