Can some one edumicate me?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can some one edumicate me?
    Posted: 13 Aug 2002 at 12:16pm
Cookie View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

In the early days growing up as a kid in Otaki it was not uncommon to be able to go to the beach and cast your line out into a hole and regularly catch snapper.
As the years went by the trawlers constantly hammered this coastline to a point where the snapper have not, did not or simply could not return to the inshore waters.
I cannot remember any body catching snapper off a surf caster over the past 25 odd years to my knowledge.
With the advent of a marine reserve and the definite slow down in trawlers this coast line has slowly recovered to a point where snapper can constantly be caught over the summer periods, between 10- 20 meters of water and I am sure if we were to target snapper from the beach again we could lure them on to surf casters.
Having just had our best summer in my memory from the boat it was disappointing to suddenly see one day while out fishing five trawlers making runs up and down this coast line for a solid period of 2 weeks and wouldn�t you know it, when they left the snapper had basically dried up. 
My question is how close to land can these trawlers run, who do you call if this limit is being abused and is there any particular forum for registering complaints should you have one.

I don�t want to sound like a moaner, but I sure as hell don�t want to have to wait another 25 years should this be excessive and allowed to carry on.  I am an open minded bloke so any comment greatly received.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1000PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2002 at 7:32pm
1000PA View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm afraid I only have a negative answer to this problem -

On the Kaipara we saw two trawlers enter the heads, turn off all lights, trawl (we could just make out what they were up to) for a while, then light up and scarper. We did the right thing and phoned the MAF number we had with us and were asked to give a triangulation of bearings to pinpoint these boats.

I informed the very helpful person that we were sitting on shore and couldn't have moved to give them x3 different sightings and didn't carry a compass anyway! That was the end of the exercise. No video tape was not enough even showing our position on a handheld GPS.

We haven't called them again!

Ross

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2002 at 6:02am
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I must admit that MAF is unhelpful and tends to only take the easy way out. The HFOs do a great job but when it takes less than 20 minutes to get a chopper to that area and MAF would have the sitings they require but they choose not to, it certainly makes you wonder. Maybe a complaint to the police (for theft) would have a greater affect.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2002 at 6:34am
Cookie View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Your right guys it does feel a bit like theft when your sitting out there watching these ships doing their business. Perhaps a no trawl zone within 5km or more of the coast may help, at the very least it would create a mini reserve for stocks to regenerate within. I have been told there is a gentlemen�s agreement of 1 km between the companies, but that�s a joke, as they couldn�t come much closer for fear of running aground. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gordon G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2002 at 8:45am
Gordon G View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

So is there any chance of a "name and shame" on these guys?  I'm not sure this would do any good and would they care but maybe if persistent offenders are spotted then MAF would have to act.  Either that or go to the docks and chuck dog sh*t all over the wheel house.  (sorry about that last bit but some fishermen can be the most ignorant bastards and it gives everyone a bad name)

Gordon

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2002 at 9:13am
Cookie View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good point Gordon, we did pass the ships numbers on, but waste of time. Would still like some one to tell what are the regulations are if any. Must confess though back in the early days I think we were also getting hammered from asian trawlers, as you could here them on  a calm night and their rubbish bags would be on the beach in the morning. But havent seen or herd this for a while, but still common to find their crap on the beach every now and then.