go on , post something?

Page  123 12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote matto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: go on , post something?
    Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 7:16am
matto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

whats up in saltfly? new products , summer ambitions , burning questions, bring back wolfie ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troutzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 7:57am
Troutzilla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

ok matto posted new topic. To disprove the fallacy men can't multitask i completed this while eating toast!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote matto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 8:07am
matto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I like your surface fly Troutzilla , I bet you appreciated my post "to post" to go with your toast. Lets take that surface fly for a swim. 
I am surprised how excited I am about catching pannie snapper in the upper harbour again, I think it is that combination of knowing that pausing and twitching the fly produces solid , crunching hook ups. That is if you don't get hit on the first drop!
Other than that I look forward to some spring Kahawai action and more 6wt fishing, kingies in the shallows and I am still after a really big snapper 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 8:11am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I want to go to Cuba.

But in the meantime - yes! Spring fishing! Getting the boat ship-shape for fishing again after a long mud-ridden duck/goose/pheasant season. Per Matto, can't wait for a few decent hits and scraps. Cool
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 8:33am
smelli View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I got sent these by a mate who uses them for fishing in estuaries and surf etc so am looking at bringing them into nz.
he catches snapper and kahawai on the plastics but the hooks get a bit hammered by the snapper so unless they can use a stronger hook wont be much good.
but mainly looking at the silver and gold lures.
This is how he uses them

Use your soft bait rod or longer rod. I use spinning reels spooled with 8 – 15 lb braid. Monofilament or fluorocarbon trace of about 3-4’. Cast slightly upstream into the current and allow to arc back into you on a tight line. Rip the lure through the water occasionally and pause after the rip. You will feel the lure vibrate madly every time you rip and it is this sonic vibration which attracts the fish.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=717361
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 8:51am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Those piper wiggle tail things have been around for a million years. Kingies love them. We used to troll them over shallow reefs and get them smashed.

We lost interest in them though because they were too light to cast with conventional tackle. Probably good on a fly rod in the Tongariro Wink.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 9:11am
smelli View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Yea these Eddies i got sent the hooks are pretty light for snapper but he has fun with them. KY too..
This is how he rigs them,the ball is 1 1/2" and about couple mtrs of line and he uses it in estuaries,river mouths and surf,casts it out and slow retreives it back in

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 9:55am
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Is this just a random post thread?

<stands up>
I SWF fished naked once. It felt good. I will do it again (just not with a clouser).

Ok. I'm done. 
<sits down>

Stern Smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote matto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 10:05am
matto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks Millsy ,
(nervous chuckle)
(looks at clothes , and decides to remain unnaked )
(contemplates snapper stalking nude)
(shudders , considering how badly that could end).
Yes Autumn is a great time for big snapper !

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clemmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 10:15am
Clemmo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

haha..  

We used a similar set up in England for Bass smelli.  Use a big bouncy ball.  Man you can cast them a good distance.
>)))))> www.harbourheatpumps.co.nz <(((((<
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 10:40am
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by smelli smelli wrote:

Yea these Eddies i got sent the hooks are pretty light for snapper but he has fun with them. KY too..
This is how he rigs them,the ball is 1 1/2" and about couple mtrs of line and he uses it in estuaries,river mouths and surf,casts it out and slow retreives it back in

You'd be a genius casting that on a fly rod!

Drop me a PM when you do mate and I'll bring the camera 'round.
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 10:43am
smelli View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Yes sure would be good... He uses a spinning rod tho.. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 10:48am
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

well I am buying a new boat for salt fly and popper fishing, it has to be one that I can stand up in but I dont want a cabin boat or any of the bling bling. I am going to get a dory to do this, the one I am looking at is a little under powered but time will tell, lots of spots up here around our coast where a small boat like this will work well for a few applications.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 10:52am
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Show us the dory BA.

Is it currently on TM? Yellow?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 11:07am
Titanium
Titanium

yip that one and one other but have eyes on a Panga, 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 11:19am
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Going to get the Xi2 and Shilton SL7 combo out of the cupboard and catch some decent fish on it over spring/summer

What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 11:21am
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I looked at a few Panga designs/ideas. They certainly have some good points. Maybe next time.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote matto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 11:26am
matto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

excellent work, lots of random posts !
Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mike.Thomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 11:33am
Mike.Thomas View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I am off to Sydney for work for 2 weeks on Monday, so no fishing for me for a while, FYI
Mike
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 11:53am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by bigbaySWF bigbaySWF wrote:

I looked at a few Panga designs/ideas. They certainly have some good points. Maybe next time.

yes mate I have been looking at a few for a while now, I feel the work is there for one in survey etc, a fair few options to use one up here and I dare say a marlin would be on the cards.
Page  123 12>