go on , post something?

Page  <12345 12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2012 at 9:28am
smelli View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Blue Asparagus Blue Asparagus wrote:

.finger crossed

How much is that one? Plenty of room
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=717361
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2012 at 10:31am
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ahab [and Craig] and others...

I must say I disagree with the practice of using natural burley.

Here me out.

I have used mussel spat, kina and other naturally found organisms as burley in the past. In the past.

I changed one day. I remember it well... <your screen going wiggly and wavy now okay>

I was watching some Asians at Whatipu scrapping mussel spat of the rocks.  Before anyone gets their tits in a tangle, clearly they were of Asian decent. They are also the only race I have seen collecting mussel spat this way. They were using from what I could make out through my binoculars (and I could make out a lot), piano or similar gauge wire. They would hold a piece of wire maybe 2ft long stretched out and held at both ends by a bit of tree (probably a young kauri) and use this to "work" over the surface of the rock, thus scrapping all living things from the rock. This was then collected and boiled no doubt back at home.

I thought very hard and not very long about some of my own practices around the foreshore. 

This is not a dig at Asians. This is about doing things a little smarter and looking after what we have. 

The reason the fish are found in these places which then leads us  to spend hours thrashing the water to a foam with our fly line, IS because of the barnacles, mussel spat etc. We should be protecting that environment not destroying to put our odds up because ultimately we all loose.

Same goes for the practice of catching species such as kahawai for burley or killing stingarays or cutting their tails and barbs in order to maybe save the next Steve Irwin. It is BS. We are not the owners of such things, we are meant to be part of them.

'Pure fly' for me is the epitome of this kind of philosophy. This makes us better than bait fisherman.

Okay, this isn't Sunday and I am not going to preach anymore. 

A side note on the Panga's. Build them you soft co#ks, if I can manage it, you can. Wood is Good.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2012 at 12:24pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Nice little rant there Millsy Smile

Yes the scorched earth policy of some invertebrate collectors around the rocks is a bit of a worry. The scraping barnacles thing is fairly benign because the harbour authorities appreciate their wharf piles being cleaned by random nutcase fly fishers. One of those push hoes are the go.

Very rarely use natural berley around the rocks 'cause it is damn hard work. And since pilchards make my hands smelly it's pure fly more and more. Hard to get those good visuals and sight fishing without berley though.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2012 at 12:52pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yip big bay,
the whatipu ranger said that wh`en you go around the foeshore on a low spring tide,its completly devoid of life,
and i mean devoid[ all the way from cornwallis to whatipu,]
and the reaon is the practice youve mentioned by the same said persons
apparently its then ground up to make fish sauce.
even tho theres a ban on set nets in the hole area, whenever ive or others called in Fisheries officers[when netting has been spotted], there has benn NO RESPONSE .
needless to say this side of bthe harbour fishing wise is frigging unproductive,
And then theres the commercial fishers,
F!@@$$%%^K, dont get me started  on that
im stopping now
heart rates soaring just thinking about itCry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ahab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2012 at 2:03pm
Ahab View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Interesting thoughts Bigbay.

I would be pretty careful to minimise my scraping practices to lessen the impact. However those particular poles are apparently earmarked for removal, as they're pretty unsightly when looking out over the harbour. 

From what Craig says/writes, it seems like less is more when using berley for fly in any case.

My current practice of using salmon berley does give me a twinge of guilt. As I understand it, it takes 5kg of jack mackerel to make 1kg of salmon.

Will be heading out next Tuesday for a rock fly mish at Waiheke, and will be trying purefly there and then. Would love to never use berley again, truth be told! A lot of money, weight and mess. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2012 at 7:31pm
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

FBF. I have pulled 2 nets out of that stretch between Huia and Whatipu in one day. One had a dead turtle in it. I dumped them both on the boat ramp in front of some immigrants and ranted at them. I didn't event think that they were theirs but they got a message/pre warning.  Both had been in the water for some time. I don't think twice about pulling nets out, fu#k 'em I say.

Random post below.

Favorite rum at the moment.

Cruzan Black Strap. 

This stuff takes me back to sucking on mummy's titty. With coke (not that diet crap either!!) it's like a wet dream in techno color.

Drink rum and SWF naked at the same time I say!! Just not with other people...Embarrassed

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2012 at 8:40am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

LOL

... ah, Millsy, about that fishing offer...

.... suddenly, I can't make it....  LOL

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ahab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2012 at 8:47am
Ahab View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Far out BB, a turtle. I once saw a net in Canterbury abandoned on a beach and it was absolutely full of drowned shags. Last year in HB I saw a couple of netters throwing about 20 spotted smoothhounds back into the surf, dead. They didn't keep any.

I can't for the life of me think of one positive about set nets. It's not like it's that hard to catch a feed with rod and line.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2012 at 10:16am
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Ahab Ahab wrote:

I can't for the life of me think of one positive about set nets. It's not like it's that hard to catch a feed with rod and line.

Me 3.

Net fishing is one step harder than going to KFC. Granted it drowns more people than KFC. Usually at Port Waikato.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushkid2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2012 at 6:52pm
Bushkid2 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

interesting thread containing much interesting stuff.
Sev and I went and pillaged scallops which were in fairly good condition. Also dived along tamaki drive and ti point wharf for about 10kg of good sinkers, squid jigs, lures, jigs, spinners etc, thanks to all those fishos who lost gear in those careas.. it's now mine.
Ahab, have chased the trevs off tamaki drive on bait but chasing them on fly is on the must do list, they are there now and few people chase them. kings there in summer should be fun too.
Big bay, scraping rocks is gay and so are nets of any sort. So is cutting funding to surf life saving, I belonged to the Raglan club years ago and it was good fun.
Heading up top of coro in a couple of weeks to annoy more big snapper, will try to take a camera.
easterly winds are also gay.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2012 at 10:00pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Interesting stuff??? I'm too scared to fish within 1000m of any of you guys after reading through this.

<<<<<< Backs out of thread slowly.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flygimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 2:41pm
flygimp View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey Matt and others...

Long time, no fishy fishy for me... Pimping my Pelin hull...
Transom rebuilt, cabin chains-sawed off, new under floor built, 
console built and fibre glassed... under coat painted, trailer spot welded.

Now time to lay the floor, lay carpet, insert steering and cables and apply top coats of paint.

Buy engine before christmas... talk to you all in another couple of months. Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 2:53pm
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Has anyone else noticed the weather has turned?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushkid2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 2:55pm
Bushkid2 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

for the worse?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote matto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 2:56pm
matto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Fly gimp , you sound busy , there are some interesting flyfishing craft coming from out west , between your self and BigBaySWF.New season excitement kicking in!There might even have to be a pre summer beer had somewhere?Tongue 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushkid2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 5:49pm
Bushkid2 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I like beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flygimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 6:46pm
flygimp View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

AMEN to that! 2 pints I'm anyones, that's what married life does for ya...LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 6:51pm
smelli View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Sucks waiting to find out if going to get the job i applied for today,,mind you havnt had a proper job since january so whats anutha few days gunna matter...lol
If get the job i might not need to sell my bx500xn combo but money still come in handy to reduce credit card--lol
Wishing myself luck for job

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 7:20pm
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Rum? or beer is good.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 7:22pm
smelli View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

only rum i like is appleton's--other it jimmy or jack and beers
Page  <12345 12>