How to fillet Kingfish and John Dory

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to fillet Kingfish and John Dory
    Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 11:41pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Not my work but certainly better than my efforts, here's a link to a great post by The cook in The Kitchen forum:

Click Here:
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 10:26am
The cook View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks smudge, always nice to share a bit of knowledge.
With regards to cooking crispy skin John Dory, it might look a bit daunting but its not to hard once you get used to it. I encourage you all to give it a try, even if you dont get it quite right it will still taste great.
As with most things in life practice is the key.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Andymyers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2012 at 6:53pm
Andymyers View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks smudge you have posted an edifying thing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote chillwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2014 at 10:56am
chillwave View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

just thought i would add this clip to compliment the OP; its a kingi broken down into flat fillets rather than steaks. whats most impressive is the respect for the fish and the maximum use of the catch - barely any waste

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2014 at 12:11pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That knife is seriously sharp!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 9:49pm
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

hahaha breathe on that knife it'll cut you but very well done love him cleaning knife after every cut
i just want to go fishing..........amd ignore all my adult problems
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote miahd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 9:42am
miahd View Drop Down
Content Manager
Content Manager

Originally posted by chillwave chillwave wrote:

just thought i would add this clip to compliment the OP; its a kingi broken down into flat fillets rather than steaks. whats most impressive is the respect for the fish and the maximum use of the catch - barely any waste
This makes me want to go and get a set of Japanese knives... Serious $$ but would be so worth it. 

My old man has a set of quality filleting knives which he's had for years and have been sharpened so many times that they getting a bit thin. These would make a great replacement. If anyone has any recommendations on where to get quality (and I'm talking premium quality, not just "good quality from Top Catch" kind of thing) then I'd love to know about them :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 9:59pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice video. Thanks for posting.
Looks like kingfish was bled too. Almost no blood in the bone line.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 10:21pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I know Yeehaa in Panmure were bringing in some japanese sashimi knives recently. Otherwise Victory do nic stainless knives, and Svord do lovely carbon steel knives but they need a little more care
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 10:35pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The Victory factory is just around the corner from the NZFN office, off Lunn Ave, Miah.
Pop in with cash and you can get a very nice knife for a great price.
I asked for carbon steel and the ladies eventually found a couple. Bonus.

As for Svord, Telecaster, i think the key is knowing how to sharpen a 'convex' blade. The likes of Steps and others on here obviously do, but it's a completely different technique to a standard edge which is simple to sharpen on a Spyderco etc. I can't get the hang of it the convex, unfortunately.
I loved the concept of a Svord, locally made by hand etc, but wouldn't recommend it to someone who isn't an expert in sharpening different edge types, or able to learn.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 5:01pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So good to watch an expert fish knife-man in action.
Yes, noted the constant cleaning of table and knife👍
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote me2munir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 12:03am
me2munir View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I think the video in this section provide a good information on filleting the fish. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 6:47pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just to go a step further, treating your kingfish similar to Tuna.

There are 2 things that will make your Kings taste better, bleeding and FULL Ikijime

1st Step is iki spike at 45 degree 

2. Cut just under the gill plate and bleed the fish out, put in a tub to bleed out not all over your clean boat. I dont like using a bat Iki is 100% assured dead fish.
3. Thread wire or 200-300lb mono up the spine to kill off all residual nerve action. Note: there is one more process that the first video didnt show and also where to cut to bleed the fish, its a cut to the tail which paralyzes the fish, but some people put the wire up the tail instead as seen here:

4. On salt ice immediately
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 8:15pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Didn't realise you were so clued up on this FF.  I don't do the whole thing down the spine trick. Is it as easy as it looks in the video or does it take a little practice? In my world, bleeding and on ice are pretty important and have never had bad kingfish. What am I missing out on? 

Do you use livebaits or jigs? On the Manukau we mostly livebait but I know some who do really well on jigs.

where have you been catching them?

Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 8:58am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Why kill off residual (if there is any actually there) "nerve action"
 It is my understanding that its not a never action thing but rather  uncontrolled muscle memory thing.
Like when change gear in a car you dont actually think about doing it or even rem doing it  or turning the pedals when riding a bike.

My thought is to bleed correctly/ well cut the throat, while the heart is still pumping, and pump as much blood out before the heart stops, then  gut/drain if any left.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raging Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 10:01am
Raging Bull View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt
Big Sexy

Interesting thread, obviously many ways to “skin a cat”.

In my experience a bat to the head is the easiest and quickest way of killing kingfish, I have a purpose built bat for doing just that! I have tried to Iki them but can’t seem to get it right.

I fillet king fish the same as a snapper and always take the fillet off over the ribs so I don’t have to gut them.

Old mate in the video obviously knows what he is doing though. My tip for king fish is to use an old towel to lie them on as the usually don’t fit on my chopping boards and they slide around all over the stainless bench but a towel stops all that.

If your really knew to catching kingfish and want it smoked but don’t have a smoker, another option is to kill them and put them on ice, then when you get home put them in a black sack and then chuck them into the freezer whole, guts, blood and all.

Then ring Marcsic Brothers in Glen Innes and find out what day they are smoking fish and drop it in the day before and get them to smoke it for ya, this method works great!! ;) you can leave the whole frozen fish until your ready to drop it off!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote boatman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2021 at 7:38am
boatman1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thank you for the topic and the video. Really helpful
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JackRussel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 8:20pm
JackRussel View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks, I found some new tips for cooking fish in this thread.

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Not my work but certainly better than my efforts, here's a link to a great post by The cook in The Kitchen forum:

Click here

And I really liked the pictures in this thread. Thanks too :)