Wanganui Sea Fishing.

Page  <1 4243444546>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alkirker@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 7:37pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Not at all, I fish quite far north (more fowl ground further north) about waitotara 30-40m mark the tarakihi hang around quite high off the bottom(like start 5-6m off the bottom to target these guys) use a small size hook and bait I find they love white flashers generally plenty round and for the JD live bait held about 2m off the bottom
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Frewza F14 man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 10:43pm
Frewza F14 man View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers, I have done well with pearl white flashers in Wellington also.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote crashman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 10:33am
crashman View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

grumpy smurf tuna are out there gave them good bash on the sunday straight out from bar in about 50 mtrs albies and kings going hard under the birds
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alkirker@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 2:54pm
Bronze
Bronze

I have caught them out there before what lures/colours are you running out there for them?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alkirker@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 3:10pm
Bronze
Bronze

I have tried switching to these lures for them to see what happens
dragged them for a total of 2 hours off foxton and wanganui on two days with no luck maybe just too big?
anyone else caught the tuna with different lures?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote paul_fishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 11:12pm
paul_fishing View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I use green and blue. The same size as yours on the left. It should work fine. I got these around Foxton. a few weeks ago. Don't really know how to find them. I just keep driving. Excellent eating tho

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alkirker@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 3:59pm
Bronze
Bronze

[IMG][/IMG]

New Pb 22pound on Saturday
Loads of kings around 5 being caught and a lot more seen
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alkirker@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 4:07pm
Bronze
Bronze

this whole week is looking pretty good hoping to go off to mana and kapiti later this week to chase the pukaSmile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 4:15pm
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Very nice work!Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 6:44pm
neil_cb125t View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Grumpy smurf Grumpy smurf wrote:

Not at all, I fish quite far north (more fowl ground further north) about waitotara 30-40m mark the tarakihi hang around quite high off the bottom(like start 5-6m off the bottom to target these guys) use a small size hook and bait I find they love white flashers generally plenty round and for the JD live bait held about 2m off the bottom

Awesome stuff - thanks heaps, how long does it take for you to get there? at what speed roughly?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alkirker@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 7:00pm
Bronze
Bronze

Go about 12nm
Good fowl ground the further you go
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 8:15pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice effort Alan you beat me by 1/2 a pound. Definitely miss my Whangas spots. See you in May?
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alkirker@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 5:36pm
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Steve
Were off to try get some hapuka tomorrow out past mana hoping that easterly don't chop it up too much out in the straight
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 8:41pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Good luck on the puka mate. Hope you do better than me and Bryan did years ago out there a few grand daddy hapuka and very sore arms
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alkirker@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 9:11pm
Bronze
Bronze

[IMG][/IMG]

Was a interesting day no puka sadly
However got this very large tuna (maybe skipjack ?) And a gem fish so didn't go home empty handed
Also got to get up close and personal with a sun fish which I think is quite rare?
Ps tape measure is set to 1m
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alkirker@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 9:15pm
Bronze
Bronze

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alkirker@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 9:16pm
Bronze
Bronze

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 9:46pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Looks like a Slender Tuna, Allothunnus fallai.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 8:50am
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I see (Wanganui Chronicle) that the council has approved funding for port development.
I wonder what this will mean for us? Hopefully regular dredging.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alkirker@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 9:50pm
Bronze
Bronze

Thought I would bring this thread back to life, hows everyone going out there? 
have been really keen to get back into it,but every time the weather starts to settle the bloody wind picks up Angry a few mates went out a couple of weekends ago plenty of snapper but she was a bit lumpy out there.
Page  <1 4243444546>