Wanganui Sea Fishing.

Page  <1 444546
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 10:17am
neil_cb125t View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeah mate, im lucky the wifey still likes me!!

We got on the water at around 0650 - I dont have any forward white lights so this was as dark as id like to be hitting it. Nav lights on and we were away - The Chart plotter was great thou to dial up.

Given your advise we went to South and North Traps near Patea, Near perfect conditions heading up that way. Got onto good blue cod but went a bit quite so we moved to a new spot and then drifted in the 16-22m marks - fishing was great, non stop good stuff really, blue cod and snapper. Only 1 shark (4-5footer) at the start before we moved on to the drifting.

drifting won out, most were biting the straylines on either fresh cod or squid. Bin nearly full - we headed back, was like GLASS......44mins to the boat ramp.

We covered 93kms (incl the drift), 37liltres burned......how good.

Wanags club was busy but cleaned up and filleted with some good dudes - great facilities there worth while being a member!. We were happy to get some good snapper all 35-50cms and good blue cods.

Sing out West t when your down, I have alot of week days off and and I struggle to get fishing buddies - happy to take people out!

Chappy

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote west t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 1:15pm
west t View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Awesome stuff mate yup fresh cod works really good too. Gotta love those that say winter fishing is crap, so pack the boat away. Means little to no waiting time to launch and retrieve. Use to be a member of the club when I was living local. Awesome facility, weigh in your fish they have annual prizes etc cheap beer and it’s a good place to catch up with others. Cheers for the offer. If the weathers good might be going puka hunting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote joshaugreon01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 5:23pm
joshaugreon01 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

if you dont mind me asking where are the south and northen traps i am trying to find a couple of spots because i am trying to convince my old man to take me over there to go for a fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 11:31am
Silver
Silver

Not hard to find with any chart plotter and or google. Even Swell mapshows you the forecast at those spots. They are close to each other.

The reality is on a mint day (for your boat what ever that is) your looking at around 40ks from wangas to the traps. So take your boats speed into it there. At 50kph we make the traps in 45mins.

theres a few maps out there - worse case I can take a photo of my finder for you.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 1:57pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

They are just a little south of Patea, 8-10km. Marked on the Navionics chart.

Decent slog from wangavegas, I would seriously consider learning how to cross the Patea Bar if I planned to fish there regularly.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote joshaugreon01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 4:15pm
joshaugreon01 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

thanks for the help im just trying to find a couple spots to try if i go out there

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 3:40pm
Silver
Silver

Fridays looking good people, I have had some good trip up Patea way recently.

mates boy got the boats first kingi....pretty happy

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2020 at 1:58pm
Silver
Silver

Had a wee trip out Wangas on Tuesday. Low tide was SUPER low. We arrived at the ramp at about 0540 and two boats were struggling to leave the ramp. 

After speaking to some locals we waited till about 0630 before getting the boat wet. We made it out just with 400mms under the boat....luck the little seaforce is light and floats high. Heard someone broke a prop heading out!

Day was good but we were plagued by sharks all morning, stealing and eating Blue cod off our lines! 4-5ft sharks smashed our gears and catch! 

We pretty much loitered around South and North trap of patea in 18ish meters of water. We did have burley out and there was a strong current running. After picking up a few we moved to get away from the sharks but never got back on the bite sadly.

Lots of people were out and all said they were gong north but we never saw them,,,do people go further north from the traps??

Sea stayed slightly choppy for the day but was beaut weather. The bar was PUMPING trees out and 2/3m swell on the return leg. We came in just on high tide and expected it to be far nicer than it was. 

Hoping to get out a few more times before the year is done.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 9:11am
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The stars aligned for the first time in a year or two and my wife and I launched yesterday at 1.00 pm. The sea was flat and the weather warm.
I think I’ll need to search for a couple of new spots, the old favourites produced fat gurnard a few kahawai and one solitary snapper. We trolled got tuna for an hour or so without result.
There were lots of boats out. How did everyone do?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote widebody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 8:30pm
widebody View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Went off Wanganui Mon morning, set longline off town and headed off Kai Iwi. Hunted around for 2 tk and 1gurnard, back to longline for 9 pannies. Saved by the longline again. out 6ish in by 10.30am. Having a hard time with rods finding fish. Won,t complain pannies in good nick and best shot so far.
Sea average but got better as morning went on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 10:01pm
Silver
Silver

We too headed out Monday, I saw that the Bite time was suppose to really good 430-630am so we hit the water at about 545. Fishing was banging till the sun came out - instant takes on most things. Then we spent till 11am scratching around for a couple of gurnards and a couple of good snaps before my 6 year old boy got sea sick. Was pretty lumpy coming home. Lots of boats out thou.
Page  <1 444546