Wanganui Sea Fishing.

Page  <1 43444546>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2019 at 1:07pm
neil_cb125t View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by alkirker@xtra.co.nz [email protected] wrote:

Thought I would bring this thread back to life, hows everyone going out there? 
have been really keen to get back into it,but every time the weather starts to settle the bloody wind picks up Angry a few mates went out a couple of weekends ago plenty of snapper but she was a bit lumpy out there.

Yeah nice - been some stella weather recently. Im in that hard spot where I have ordered the new boat, but sold the old one so am BOATLESS!!! New girl is arriving in March....... so naturally the weather will turn to kak then.

Any Wanganui boat club members out there who can let me know what benefits you get from your membership? Is there wash down facilities etc?

Neil
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alkirker@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2019 at 2:10pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

hey Neil
the club offers a wash down area and a covered fish prep area which is great on those hot sunny days
also the boat ramp at castle cliff is actually owned by the club and is not a public ramp, not that they generally stop the public from using it.

What boat have you got coming?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2019 at 6:35pm
Silver
Silver

Oh yep. Yeah I use the ramp she’s a real good one. The wash down point sounds good I’ll have to have a look see next time I’m there.

Seaforce 530 ute is on the way. Suzy 4 stroke to be installed.

Sing out if you need a anchor puller and hook baiter ;-) I have all my own gear and am based in Feilding and work a shift roster so often have days off throughout the week

Neil 021866345
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alkirker@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2019 at 9:26pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

hey sounds good ill keep ya in mind 
if and when this wind gives us a break

i've given up waiting and heading off to Taupo to catch some fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2019 at 2:36pm
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by alkirker@xtra.co.nz [email protected] wrote:

hey sounds good ill keep ya in mind 
if and when this wind gives us a break

i've given up waiting and heading off to Taupo to catch some fish.

For sure - Nice I had good luck at the Omori (kuritau ) river mouth on sunrise, its super shallow around 12ft when you at the 250m limit but had fish landed each pass.

Good luck
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 9:04pm
Silver
Silver

So peps with Level 2 on the horizon - the NEW boat is filled up (arrived the day before the lock down) , bait is purchased...I have been working throughout the lock down so I have put in leave from Thursday (presumed level 2 day) to the following friday.......

Anyone else gona be lining up to get out there ??

We will be in Charlie Bouy.....see you there
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 8:51am
Silver
Silver

Well I expected more of a wait at the boat ramp yesterday, but most peps must have been on the water at sparrows fart! park was full as by 7.

Was actually choppy and sloppy in the morning which wasnt forecast - but by around 1030 turned into a mil pond. Were stuck with spiny dogs first up so went out off the bar in about 30m and berleyed up which proved to help. Snapper and gunard picked up - kept going until the 1.5m shark arrived, our que to leave.

Went to off Kai iwi cliffs 20m but nothing found there. Homeward bound, and teh que was there waiting to get out!

First Sea voyage on Charlie Bouy, happy with the day out and boat performed wickely. Hope everyone had the same!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 9:16am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

One of the first Level 2 fishing reports on Fishing.net!  Well done for joining the throng.  Liked.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 5:59pm
Silver
Silver

So lucky to be able to take time off once lock down was over. Went out last Thursday and then again yesterday.

We tried heading north this time. Went to the south traps and areas around. Was a really nice day. Slow ish fishing but everything was good size bar the first fish (wee snapper) then we had a double hook up of heavys . . . My mate was on super light setup and bagged a 10lb snapper his Pb. This happened while I was fighting something like I had never experienced. On 20m of water on a new sliding jig (first drop) and slowly the horse came to view . . .

New best fish ever. 24lb of glory. Hope others had a great weekend.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DIY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 8:43pm
DIY View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice one, awesome fish. Sounds like you’re happy with the new boat.
Oh what a smasher - two eggs and a rasher!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 9:59am
Silver
Silver

Cheers man - Yeah shes a wee trooper....we did 3 hours of running that day for 30-32litres used. 

Mine seems to like sitting more at 48/50kph, sitting at 40kph it porposes alot more.

I find that at the higher speed I can run motor trimmed up more - where as at the slower speed I have to run the nose down a touch

How you find your height adjustments played out motor wise??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 12:43pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice Snap Neil, great start to fishing in new boatThumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DIY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 1:14pm
DIY View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi Neil, I’ve got the top motor bolt in the fourth from the top and I do have to adjust the trim down a bit when doing tight turns etc but can trim it up to about 50% on a flat sea. I find the hull leans a bit until you get up to about 22-25 kts then she straightens up and feels really stable. Your economy sounds good. I do like the Suzuki.
Oh what a smasher - two eggs and a rasher!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 7:42pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice fish guys. The south trap was one of my favourite spots down there. I never had that sort of economy though, that's efficient motoring, and my catch was red like yours but had more legs. 🤔
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 10:17pm
Silver
Silver

Fantastic week we are having down this way!!

We should be heading out on friday from wangas if the weather stays good... who else going out??

Chap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 3:00pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Looks like a nice forecast alright. How'd you go??
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 2:20pm
Silver
Silver

Got out on the water just after sun rise, tried our normal spot off the airport but came up dry.

Went out to about the 35m mark - as forcast it was choppy and sloppy out further. Picked up a great Gurnard straight away (46cm) but then nothing, few spinnies etc.

Headed south of turikina another gurnard but nothing more, we tried a few spots heading back to wangas.

Another gurnard was picked up somewhere along the trip but in reality it was the slowest fishing trip for ages. Water temp was 11 C ish.. We had berley out always, we had slider jigs and baits and straylines out at all times.

Mondays forecast is even better - so ill head out again, maybe push north to the traps......

I have had 2 great trips at kapiti very different fishing down there, no time to do anything....wangas was very different yesterday hahahahahahaha.

Just checked the chart plotter, we did 73kms on 31litres - we sat on either 40 or 50kph depending on the slop. Really happy with the Suzuki OB.....great donk.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote west t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 2:03pm
west t View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Try fishing on or very near the reefs during winter.
I fished ledger rigs with baits around 1cm2. Avoid oily baits such as pilchards if you don’t want to be winding up spikeys all day.
I use 3/0 recurves To avoid gut hooking you’d get with j hooks of similar size, if you haven’t used Recurves before, either leave in rod holder until hooked or once biting slowly wind until weight is on, steady even pressure all the way up.
no heavy pumping and winding, As often bigger fish were just lip hooked.
You’d be surprised what will take those tiny baits, expect tarakihi, snapper, blue cod, gurnard etc
you get way less spineys using this method. You can mix up hook size ie 3/0 top hook 5/0 bottom hook etc I only use recurves when bait fishing. Tarakihi are often a little higher in the water so use smaller hook on top to increase hooking these tasty fish. Hopefully this is helpful to someone.

Coming back down around September school holidays to catch up with the fam. Hoping for a day or two of decent weather Might some of you on the water then.
Tight lines
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 7:33pm
Silver
Silver

Awesome stuff - cheers heaps for that.

Makes sense down kapiti we were hanging in the reefi stuff and on point for a good couple of hours.

Wangas was bland flat and Berley did nothing to help

We will be heading to south trap tomorrow first thing so will let you know how we get on.

Neil
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote west t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 9:07am
west t View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Did you get out? My boats out of action Getting serviced water couldn’t be any flatter on the kaipara today
Page  <1 43444546>