Wanganui Sea Fishing.

Page  123 46>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote axel_003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wanganui Sea Fishing.
    Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 9:06pm
axel_003 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all,

Keen to hear from anyone who heads out of Wanganui. I’m pretty new to the game and just want to share info, photos and tips.
I have just got into my first boat, 5m Mclay, 90hp yammy. Been out a couple of times with some success. Getting a feed of terakihi, gurnard and blue cod both times with a 46cm blue cod on the last trip.

So if you a keen to share then reply here.

Cheers.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tangi DnA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 3:30pm
Tangi DnA View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Welcome to the forums axel Handshake

I used to fish out of Wangas a bit but now I fish out of Tangimoana. Im pleased to hear you are having some success, and congratulations on getting your first boat. They are good boats too.
There are a few on here who fish Wanganui you may just have to wait a while for a reply thats all.
I always take life with a grain of salt, ...plus a slice of lemon, ...and a shot of tequila.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rob Optimist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 5:29pm
Rob Optimist View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Pm sent
               "attitude is everything"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 8:13pm
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Axel
The "Spot X Fishing Guide" gave me lots of good starting points to explore from.
If you don't have a copy pm me.

Kai Iwi is usually a bit calmer if it's rough out wide.
Waiinu hole S39-56.93  E174-41.40 or there-abouts has been good to me at times.
Turakina Ridge in 25-30 metres produces Tarakihi in winter and blue cod year round.
The 30 metre contour right along this coast is where I head and drift with softbaits which always produces a feed.

Good luck, see you out there some time.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote axel_003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2012 at 1:34pm
axel_003 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all,

Good to hear a few other that fish Wanganui.

Tangi, do you launch from Tangi beach? Is there a boat ramp? Have you been out of Foxton?

Cheers Rob, will give you a call soon.

Wide Load, yes i have the spot x co-ord and have used Kai Iwi but only got spiny dogs. Was on the way out to the off the entrance co-ord and stopped by another boat and drifted until we hit blue cod, then anchored up for a few hours pulling up blue cod, gurnad and tarakihi. Was about 5 miles SW of the bar.

Looking forward hearing from you all.

Cheers 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tangi DnA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2012 at 2:49pm
Tangi DnA View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Axel,

We do have a ramp here, you launch into a backwash and then motor out into the main river.
It is tidal though and you really have a window of around 3hrs either side of the high tide to safely have enough water to get back to the ramp. I dont fish foxton that often and If I do I go with a friend in his boat. Did you get out yesterday?

I always take life with a grain of salt, ...plus a slice of lemon, ...and a shot of tequila.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote axel_003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2012 at 8:54pm
axel_003 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Tangi,

Sounds good, will have to have a look.

No, didn't go out this weekend. Weather didn'took so good and i'm not willing to push it without getting used to my new toy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tangi DnA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 8:10am
Tangi DnA View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What forecast were you looking at?

I use swellmap and Metservice, got about a 6 on swellmap for Sat but it should have been a 9, as by 10.30 it was looking like glass.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote axel_003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 5:56pm
axel_003 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Really, I looked at swell map and just took it as that. Didn't bother due to the forcast, I live 1/2 hour from the coast so I can't just look out the window. I do look at the horizons webcam to check the bar out. Roll on summer!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 7:24pm
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Summer will cure your spiney dog problem too Axel!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tangi DnA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 9:16pm
Tangi DnA View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Didnt find the spineys too bad on Sat, Caught about 10 and about 40 other fish, kept 20. I normally fish a bit deeper when they turn up and dont use burley over winter at all. Seems to work ok.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 9:49pm
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Softbait is the key for me, spineys are a rare catch
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DaveA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 10:04pm
DaveA View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Keep off the oily baits during winter, use shell fish if you can get it, I normally use squid as I don't have much access to shell fish and squid is easy. If you HAVE to burley use shell fish burley, but the quality varies so I just fish the drift. Don't get many spineys when drift fishing.
Soft bait is jut frozen bait that has thawed!
A meal without wine is called breakfast.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote axel_003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 9:51pm
axel_003 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I have been using squid for bait, not so much success with pilchard. Just using a burley bombs from FCO and seems to be working fine. I've found that the dogs are in the shallower water 12m.

Managed to haul up a squid last trip, didn't get it in the boat before it let the sinker go.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 10:30pm
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If you get another squid Axel, tease it boatside and slip a landing net under it. Don't try and lift it out of the water by the line/sinker as it will let go. Once safely in the net leave it in the water a while. It will get agitated and squirt blue ink 2 or 3 times - only then bring it on board!!! End result some primo bait or fresh calamari.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 1:22pm
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Where's the fun in that KikBac! Get your mate to lean over the side with a bucket as you bring it up - great for a laugh!!!LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote axel_003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 9:46pm
axel_003 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Haha, we were trying to figure out what to do with the squid as I didn't want ink all over the place. Will try the net next time!

Anyone planning on going out this weekend?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 9:58pm
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Not me, we're taking the kids up the mountain skiing.
I've heard of some good snaps being caught lately, along with a heap of spineys.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scuzzymoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 10:23pm
scuzzymoto View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

a few  snaps been caught, also I know from a good source a king was dropped at the boat on a live bait
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled” Mark Twain
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tangi DnA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 4:16pm
Tangi DnA View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just weather watching at this stage, not so bad for me though less than 1km to the beach.

May as well chase some white bait into the shallows on our way out. LOL
Page  123 46>