Addictive, my 1st rod build

Page  <123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 4:59pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by green guy green guy wrote:

Five coats thinned down hate flexi coat my self a steady hand and a faster gluing speed is better not 5rpm I like 18-30
Don't try to load it on spend the time doing more coats just be argyle of the temp when u are glueing it can reck havoc if it is too cold

What do you use instead of FlexCoat Mitch?...I used to use Guid Bod...I think it was ...
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 5:47pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

cheers, yip was going to cut it off clean it up and put a new one on and fancy pants the beatch, yes Mitch have been doing thinner coats and the bits done have come up great, certainly learnt a lesson with the first couple.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 10:27pm
Titanium
Titanium

well I marked out the areas where the bits go and I have spare parts LOL have glued the rod grips in place and tomorrow I will do the reel seat and for grip, it is a bit like a chess game, thinking ahead before you do anything [lost a few games]
once on I will mark off the eyes and under bind them all alps jobbys that are like a camelion [sp] changing colours in the light,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote green guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 11:13pm
green guy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

easyer todo all the grips is one bro inc the reel seat might just have to come up your ways for a fish and show you what i know if ya like
http://www.facebook.com/hauraki.hillbillys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2012 at 10:15am
Titanium
Titanium

well last night I finished the reel seat and fore grip and fitted the tio eye......

how shall I lay the eyes, do I just space them out or load the rod and sit them along the blank keeping the line evenly spaced away from the blank.

also with the rear eye, I see some reversed and some normal, what is the better option?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 9:37am
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

You have to load rod with line through the guides then move the guides around. Good tip is to use small rubber bands and band the guides in place. This makes it easy to move the guides around and when you want to bind, bind as much of the guide foot then cut off the rubber band.
Reversing the front stripper guide began when Fuji realized that with spinning rods, the line was less prone to wrapping around theis guide if they reversed it. So it is more for casting rods but the trend has moved onto OH rods without any real benefit apart from looks.
If you have a long fore grip but stripper guide placement is cramped, then reversing the guide can give you the space needed whilst retaining the design location for the guide. The newest Jig Star rods have a reversed stripper guide for this reason.
give it death!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 9:59am
Red Hunter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Don't forget to load the rod with line tied to the tip , and progressively add weight , I do it with the rod at 45 degree and 90 degree , the more time spent on guide train design the better the rod will preform , it is time well spent ,and the curve of the blank will tell you where the guides need to be . you want to look for a line path that follows the curve of the blank , with not to shape a angle   with the line either side of the guide.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 6:50pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Been using small 4" cable ties to hold guides on for spacing.
Then tie the tip to something solid and run line through the guides, then give it a good old fashioned tweak.

Space the guides to show a smooth increase in spacing  from tip to Butt.

Wrap the stripper guide first, then the rest of the guides just have to be in line between it and the tip.

Two coats of flex coat is usually enough, this multiple thin coat thing just sounds like hard work.
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 7:37pm
Titanium
Titanium

thanks guys, kinda what I have done, have dont the under binds now so tonight I will start with the guides, under bind is in red not sure as yet to what the binding colour will be any ideas would be cool
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 8:21pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Black for the overbindings BA - best colour to use when starting out as it will always look good once the epoxy is on. Even if your threadwork is a little rough you wont notice it if black is used.
Sea Strike 18' Centre Console - Under Construction....Build Thread here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2012 at 9:21pm
Titanium
Titanium

yeah mate makes good sense that, will go with it and if it turns out bad what is your home addressLOL

the red under bind has a reb black thread so looks ok and I have put a gold thread above the fore grip to the 1st eye and will keep it all pretty simple from there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote C A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 10:27am
C A View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

should put some pics up BA, im keen to see this rod, about to start building my lbg rod so need some inspiration LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 9:07pm
Titanium
Titanium

yeah could do I suppose, well got 3 eyes on now black over red/black looks ok.

trying to get the tension working right is working well with the dial I have, decided if this works out I will bring in some gear from the states.

so far looking good more work to be done.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tomatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 9:55pm
Tomatron View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

On ya BA, whatch out or you'll end up like me, a rod fene!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 8:45am
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice one Steve look forward to seeing how you got on Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 10:32pm
Titanium
Titanium

well finished putting on the eyes don't look to bad, as it is red and black I will call her the 
Bossman Crusader, I like it but I am biased LOL

Next one will be the Bossman Blues, bit of a trend thereWink

a final question do you put on a final clear coat over everything and if you do, do I cover the eyes with tape or just clear coat the lot, I will cover the grips etc.......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 3:37pm
Titanium
Titanium

just put the 3rd coat on, it dont look to bad, might do another then fit on the gimble and leave for it to cure completely and give it away for someone to hammer and see how it goes.

the red with the black fleck has come up well as the under binding and the gold looks good against the black although only a small bit at the tip and below the reel seat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 10:10am
Titanium
Titanium

well took some pics but they dont show bugger all, took the rod round to Capt Phil for a look, he was most impressed and liked the concept of the extra eyes, he will take it with him on a trip and thrash the pants off it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 10:18am
John_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post some pic's auw... Wanna looky at your creation
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote daveo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 10:19am
daveo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

post em up steveo
Page  <123>