Waterproof Phones

Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Waterproof Phones
    Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 9:25am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I was thinking of changing phones, and the idea of a waterproof one was appealing.  Has anyone any experience of the Samaung B2100 -good or bad?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 9:35am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Kevin.S Kevin.S wrote:

I was thinking of changing phones, and the idea of a waterproof one was appealing.  Has anyone any experience of the Samaung B2100 -good or bad?

Have you considered a dribag?

A one liter model from Biouvac costs around $15 & will hold your phone
as well as camera & whatever.

Mine has saved my phone & camera at least twice when taking a tumble
in the river.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dohboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 9:48am
Dohboy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have one, works well, not that i have got it to wet so far.
www.acewash.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blair_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 10:09am
Blair_D View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeah, good phone and easy to use. LED torch is great too. 
Working hard to get the easy ones.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 10:12am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Blair_D Blair_D wrote:

X 2 Thumbs Up
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BeachedAsBro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 10:15am
BeachedAsBro View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_b2100_xplorer-2747.php

All u need to know :) User reviews at the bottom too
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish caught will we realise we can't eat money.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 11:31am
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not the Samsung B2100, but it did not take long for the waterproof plug on my Motorola defy to break. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blair_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 12:11pm
Blair_D View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Originally posted by Blair_D Blair_D wrote:

X 2 Thumbs Up

Also has good radio reception, picked up 7 different stations clearly under the canopy in a valley in the middle of the Kaiamanawa forest. 
Working hard to get the easy ones.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 12:21pm
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yep got one and rate it for its water proof/durability + torch + good reception strength which ticks all the boxes for a great boat backup communication device that doubles as a regular phone.
Not the best if your mad for texting or the like, seems to require a lot of key strokes than a nokia or similar for most of tis functions.
Mines a few years old and battery still holds charge really well.
I read somewhere before I got it that the radiation from these are quite high, which is where it obtains its good reception strength. So if its going to be in your pocket all day your nads may get a fry.
If your priority is phone functionality and textability then maybe something else in a waterproof case instead.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 12:48pm
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What would be really useful - a phone and gps device, fully waterproof to IPX7 standard.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dunwurkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 9:31pm
Dunwurkn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I think i need one of these, iv dropped 3 phones in water in the last month LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 9:45pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sounds like it's the one for me to look at then.  I hardly ever use a mobile phone, and probably only send a handful of texts a year (my $20 pre-pay expires part used after a year and I have to buy a new one).  Just like to have one in case of emergency.  A normal phone is a plastic bag has limitations.  If using it as a secondary communications device on a boat and you find yourself bobbing around in the water after something happens it's difficult to operate it in the bag, but if you take it out it gets wet and stops working. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chip'n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 9:47pm
Chip'n View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

i've got the samsung b2710 rated at ip67 water & dust proof, but if you plug in the ear phones as I do on the kayak to listen to the radio & receive calls then that goes out the door as i found out. I did get it replaced after a bit of shouting & screaming. Other then that a very practical phone. Details here  http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Samsung-B2710_id4745
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chip'n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 9:49pm
Chip'n View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

On a side note I was in Warehouse stationery today & they had some LG touch screens 2G so no connection to the internet etc for about $ 59.  http://www.warehousestationery.co.nz/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/WSL-B2C-Site/en_NZ/-/NZD/ViewOfferDetail-Product?ProductRef=213146@WSL-B2C
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rig63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 9:50pm
Rig63 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Have Samsung B2710 - works well.  Wipe down to clean, hardy etc. Oddly enough, ince getting it havent dropped it in the drink at all whereas the non-waterproof used to go in all the time.