Sea Nymph / Haines Hunter / Bonito / Steadcraft

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GRANiTe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sea Nymph / Haines Hunter / Bonito / Steadcraft
    Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 7:10pm
GRANiTe View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi

I have decided to go in halves with a mate on a boat and would appreciate any advice please.

We have been looking for a boat up to 5m length with a small cabin and we have a budget of up to 10K.

It's going to be our first boat so any opinions on which one to get would be great.

I have read a few posts on here saying the Sea Nymph 14.6 Wasp is very good and that's definitely going to be one of our top choices.

What about the Sea Nymph Ranger 16.4, is it the same boat as the Wasp but just bigger?

I've seen others though in our price range like a Haines Hunter 5m, or the Sea Nymph Gullwing V16, or the Bonito Craft 16, or the Steadcraft 15.6.

Please help me narrow down my choice!

Thanks

Grant

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote family affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 7:37pm
family affair View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

id be looking at the steadecraft i had 1 man and loved it also had a 14/6 sea nymph and a old haines but i rate the 15/6 steadecraft very highly mine was modify quite a bit which made more room but was a awesome boat and only had a 80hp on the bum

ahve a look

mv maui
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snaffa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 7:52pm
Snaffa View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

shameless plug Embarrassed

Its been a good first boat for me....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GRANiTe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 8:29pm
GRANiTe View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Family affair. you've owned a few boats in your time!

I've posted a pic of the current inflatable I have, hopefully will be able to update the post soon with a fibreglass one.

http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/topic20109_post1137705.html#1137705

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GRANiTe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 8:31pm
GRANiTe View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nice boat Snaffa.

I'm in Auckland though so might be a bit far from you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote family affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 8:38pm
Platinum
Platinum

haha yea man im only 27 and been boating for 3-4years
mv maui
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RJ51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 8:54pm
RJ51 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Sea Nymph ranger is a good boat have one myself with 90 etec good sea boat feel very safe in it in rough conditions and has plenty of room
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moki Marko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 8:56pm
Moki Marko View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yup i've been reading F/A's posts all the way thru and he certainly has owned a few boats in that time - and I must say he has gained a lot of knowledge in that time and has handed out some real good feedback, especially for new boat owners who are going thru the same process  - good stuffThumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GRANiTe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 9:09pm
GRANiTe View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by RJ51 RJ51 wrote:

Sea Nymph ranger is a good boat have one myself with 90 etec good sea boat feel very safe in it in rough conditions and has plenty of room

Thanks for the advice, the Ranger has been one I have been keeping my eye on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote family affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 9:14pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Moki Marko Moki Marko wrote:

yup i've been reading F/A's posts all the way thru and he certainly has owned a few boats in that time - and I must say he has gained a lot of knowledge in that time and has handed out some real good feedback, especially for new boat owners who are going thru the same process  - good stuffThumbs Up

why thank you MM haha yea learnt alot and got a bit of info off you along the way. but my buccaneer does all i neeed it to do rides nice stable as.
mv maui
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote family affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 9:19pm
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for the advice, the Ranger has been one I have been keeping my eye on.
[/QUOTE
just remember the sea nymphs are getting old and most of them have had a hard life man.not saying they all have. but a boat is normaly cheap as thats what it is a cheap old boat and your realy paying what the motor and acces are worth and for under 10k try look for a rig with a yammy on it cant realy go wrong with a yammy. the steadecrafts are a very solid built boat and they look alot newer and most have yammys on the back i could do all day up and down the firfth on mine with 3pob + gear and only use a tote man was a good hull-moto setup
mv maui
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote family affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 9:35pm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GRANiTe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2012 at 3:51pm
GRANiTe View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey thanks FA good of you to take some time to look for me.

I had some of those on my watchlist too but have added some more of them now.

Just waiting for my mate's jetski to sell on Trademe and then we can go ahead and buy a boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote woza friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2012 at 5:43pm
woza friday View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I spent about 6 months looking for a sea nymph 14.6......because of it's good reputation. Even though they were built in the 70's there are still some good ones around going for about 5K. By chance i managed to find a sea nymph 146 which was built in 1989 by Bonito and has a Yamaha 90......great combination. I got it for a little under 7K and i have learned that you must be patient and keep looking.....BUT an extra 2K gets you a whole lot more.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EditB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2012 at 10:52am
EditB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Does that mean all the split screen models are the newer of the 14/6?
I do not lie about fishing, I willingly participate in a campaign of misinformation.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote woza friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2012 at 8:52pm
woza friday View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yes.....Apparently Bonito bought the Sea Nymph 14ft 6 mould in the early 80's and started producing it with a different deck and winscreen. It was called Sea Nymph 146 and a few years later they renamed it Bonito 442. Mine is a 1989 Sea Nymph 146. The hinged windscreen centre is great for retrieving the anchor. Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Huggybear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2012 at 2:26pm
Huggybear View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice looking boat woza.

All those boats that family affair listed from trade me are just that: nice boats, i.e., the boat is the best part. Pity the motors are all old except that 1998 Johnson, which would be the only one I'd look at because of the more modern motor, by about 10 or so years in comparison to the others! Taking into consideration the motor is arguably the most important part of the package. Because of those old outboards on those boats (some of those are coming up to 30 years' old!), my view is that they are all way overpriced, but just my view.

Woza's right: best to be patient. One WILL come up, but it might take a little waiting. Meanwhile keep looking at boats and get an eye for what is a good boat package - preferably with a later model outboard.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote family affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2012 at 4:09pm
Platinum
Platinum

yea but huggy bear a yammy will go for a lot longer than that johnnson. and when you only want to spend 10k you have to try and get the best of both worlds ie a good hull and a good running relible motor and id buy a 30yr old yammy than a johnnson any day
mv maui
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Pimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2012 at 6:37pm
Fish Pimp View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Dosen't matter what you buy it will cost $$. Take 2 or more $100 dollar bills put them in a dish on your coffee table and set fire to them., If you can't do it or it worries you DONT' buy a boat full stop.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coochdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2012 at 6:44pm
Coochdog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Too true FA.My last boat had a 98 Johnson and i had nothing but trouble,ended up costing me way to much to keep going.The boat i have now has a low to mid nineties Tohatsu and it is easily the most reliable motor i've owned, never missed a beat.When it comes to older motors i reckon the simpler they are the better, no added extras that just end up crapping out.Note i said older motors.
Page  123>