Wax Wings

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote vertical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wax Wings
    Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 2:22pm
vertical View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

What retrieve speed gives the best action in the largest size.  If the speed required for a good action is reasonably slow are Kingis still interested?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 4:29pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

These are an idiot proof stick bait....you just cast out...point your rod at the lure and straight...you dont need to sweep your rod(but feel free to experiment)....if you wind slow they do wider s weaves with the odd kick off...if you wind faster they do a tighter weave s shape......I have had kings just smack them out the water but not hook up....come out of no where....if they do that, let it sink for a while....it could be the king is trying to stun the baitfish before he eats but dont wind straight in after that....i wish they did a 6 or 7 inch version actually....dont know why they dont.
They do look pretty awesome when on the way in...they use a double hook for stability.Black/silver or pilchard are my favorites.Just try different retrieve speeds or twitches...be creative i reckon but dont think slow wont attract attention because it could!(wounded bait fish)....more match the colour to baitfish present........hence i like the black/silverWink
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 4:33pm
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Jon, the Waxwings also come in 5.4" and 6.6" modelsThumbs Up
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 6:20pm
Nomis View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

as above laid back dude. most retailers have em. if not just ask for them if you want some and they can get them in.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Devil_Fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 6:41pm
Devil_Fish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Anyone had issues with fish throwing the hooks. The first time i used one I had a king come from god knows where and just about pull me in on the take. Had it on for a good couple of runs and was starting to make headway on him then all of a sudden the hook popped and that was that. I wondered if it had got its head in some weed or something and pushed it loose. That is the only real hit I have had to date on it but have used it to bring fish in to the burly and had fun with them there. They definitely plenty of interest at any speed of retrieve.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote harry mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 8:40pm
harry mike View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

yeah the hook up rate sucks as i got 4 of them 2 years ago in hawaii when they first came out and went down to the marina in hawaii and had a few casts and out of knowhere a big bluefin trevally pops up and smashes it and does a little run and it just falls out.and the same thing happened over and over on barracudas aswell.but back here in nz the kingis go nuts for them but dont hook up! so to fix it i just rigged them up with an assist hook rig and never gone wrong as they just suck the lure down and the assist.so problem solved.and no it does not affect the action of the lure.

the best colour is live squid.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 11:52pm
Titanium
Titanium

Cool ...didnt know they did bigger ones and interesting with the assist rig......anyone tried a treble hangin off em? I wonder if it would screw the action....true they do seem to get smashed out of no where ...i had a 15 kg just smash it through the air.
Might try with an inline jig hook too/split ring.....will give it a go this weekend guys and let you know how i get on.Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 11:54pm
Titanium
Titanium

Think i have the 5.4 inch ones simon but havent seen the 6 inch plus ones....whats the price like?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Devil_Fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2012 at 1:08pm
Devil_Fish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yea keen to give a single hook a whirl this weekend as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2012 at 2:27pm
Titanium
Titanium

Ive stuck a 7/0 shogun(similar to decoy) in line jigging hook with split ring on....looks about the right size.....will interesting to see how the action goes on it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote C A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2012 at 9:21pm
C A View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

im hoping they will bring out a trout sized version, i reckon theyd be dynamite on browns 

edit: i had a quick look and saw they do them in a 68mm version in the states, anyone know how to get em?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2012 at 1:35am
Titanium
Titanium

Here is the report..Fished coro.....I tried with a 2/0 owner treble and that just killed the action completely....so tried a 7/0 shogun in line jigging hook with split ring and found it worked well when wound at medium to fast speeds but not so good at slow speed(didnt move around much at slow speed)...this was with the 5.4 inch one...might try a 6.6 inch one if i can find one and i believe they dont come with a hook.Didnt try with an assist rig but might try that next time.Wink
Was pretty quiet at coro on sat and sun.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2012 at 5:43am
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Shimano Fishing NZ - Waxwing Specifications here

You can see the sizes, color range and hook configurations available through all Shimano retailers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gottafew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2013 at 10:36pm
Gottafew View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Braid or mono for casting wax wings??
When people ask me how we got on I say..Yeah We Gottafew.