Netting Mullet

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gaff1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Netting Mullet
    Posted: 27 May 2012 at 8:45pm
gaff1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Does anyone want to share some tips on catching mullet.
I got given my wife's grandfathers netting boat years ago and never really put it to full use, caught loads of snapper in it though from Aucklands inner harbour to Tokerau beach the boat is about 13ft long quite wide for its size smooth edges so nets don't get caught on anything and a flat bottom and pushed along quite nicely by a 15hp.
The grandfather use to fish at the mangroves edge at Horeke and tie one end of the net to a mangrove tree 2 hrs before high and bring the other end out at about 90 degrees, then we would either work the net picking off fish as they got caught or set it and come back 2 hrs after high.
I think I've got all that part of the plan sorted what I want to from you guys is when is the best times of the year to chase them considering I would like to stock up on them for snapper baits fsince half the time you buy them from the shop they are crap quality and/or a rip off.
I also love them smoked or fried when fresh
An amazing fish really!