Trailer winch rope replacement...

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 8:18am
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not sure Yoti, thanks for the tips guys i got the orange dynema rope from burnsco. Tested it yesterday and it worked well. The old blue stuff looks awful. Im going to give back to the supplier...might have been a bad batch.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 7:16am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Which rope, Blue or orange or strapping?? under 1000kg and need 5m  $40 for blue at burnsco or orange $60 .Orange hook looks to big for + safety shackle.
Guess I could sawp out hook??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 9:30am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Orange..
 Hook make sure it has flat sides.. means drop forged and will not straighten out like a round one.
( There is an old thread on that.)
 For easy of turning, only have as little as possible on the drum when hook the bow. Reason, the larger the spool gets as you put more layers on the more effort have to put in to turn.
When 1st putting new rope on, doesnt matter what sort or wire... feed on under a lot load 1st time.
ie put the rope out the front of the winch and hook up the car with hand brake on a little.. chock the trailer , then wind on feeding in very tidy.
Every time you wind the boat up the rope will feed back to its 'memory'
 (also in an old thread)
 Its curious as to why it does so, never figured out the physics behind it.

And while at it, pull, check the bow hook.. even thu stainless they do corrode inside the bow. Not only that stainless is not a strong alloy .. has low shear. In most cases the bow eye is not in perfect alignment with the boat that results in stress on it more one side than the other.
Replacing with a larger diameter (and width) is a good idea.. you can then use one of the bow holes for better alignment (also easier turning of winch) .. Resin , bit chop stand and a dowel plug for the  old remaining hole.

(Also covered an old thread)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 10:04am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ended up with 6m orange.Low on stock,have used the round hook from wire as not enough room to get safety shackle in. Original wire from the 70s and got a few sprigs in hand yesterday and that made my mind up.  Yes to tensioning,will do as you suggest.Think the rope is a dynasheen?? and has a memory.

Thought of using kevlar rope but fibres break as they do not like being wound around themselves.

Side note. If you ever have to replace the plastic bits on a bimini top,they are a bugger to get out and back in but cheap as.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 10:58am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Keep in mind on the bow eye..
 If need a tow by Coast Guard, the 1st thing they ask is condition of the eye..
Also chances are they will have a strong drop forged hook.
If they need to tow there are some larger stresses on the bow eye...and its not the best idea to tow from the deck bollard mounted on stainless at 90deg to the load.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 5:08pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

True, dump the wire.
The plastic rope is friendlier in so many respects.
When you purchase drop it into a lanolin bath.
The benefits are outstanding.
Use the orange it's a better rating.
The lanolin will protect the drum from corrosion and the abrasion on the rope.
It will also protect against uv degradation.

Hooks, s/s is brittle, but it will be fine if it's of a high standard.
So Chinese junk, Japanese and German fine.
There was a period in nz in last five years where suppliers had provided in there replacement ropes and wires that were Chinese hooks with high crap metal inclusions.
Like always, do your research from trusted sources, learn the value of your tools and elimate the frustrations of using inferior products.
What do you want, a great boating day hunting fish, or that muppet you tube moment in the ramp.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 1:27pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

When you purchase drop it into a lanolin bath.
The benefits are outstanding.

Thats another suggestion that goes into my 'tool box'Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 11:27am
neil_cb125t View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

actually had a very good quality Stainless steel hook snap at the gravy stroke of winching up my boat, it was the last 3 winds when it let go. 

I spoke to the supplier as the trailer/winch and boat was less than 1 year old. They were stella, Christine products. Replaced it and rope and upgraded. Then diagnosed my winch setup was poorly placed, incorrectly lined up and I was using it as the primary front securing. 

Basically the stainless hook was constantly being worked while the boat was being towed as I did not use a tie down on the front when towing. 

So moral of the story, your winch rope (what ever it is and hook) should be under NO tension whilst your boat is being towed. use a decent ratchet tie down to take the weight
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 5:48pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

actually had a very good quality Stainless steel hook snap at the gravy stroke of winching up my boat

Round or flat sides?
 Rated or unrated (stamped) ?

Basically the stainless hook was constantly being worked while the boat was being towed as I did not use a tie down on the front when towing.

Having the weight on the winch also means the plastic bushes on the main drum are taking the full load.
Also take into consideration , loads tend to move naturally forwardWink

People insist on tying the rear down across the gunnels with a tie down..this inherently stresses the structure of the hull... cracks and fractures...
The transom should be held down by 2 tie downs the go to the trailer chassis. This not only stops the boat  bouncing but also holds the boat forward...and being 2 straps.. a double whammy safety..

I also use a large Short  tie down from back of the winch post , over the winch, to the bow  eye.
 I pull up the boat on the winch.. then pull up on the rear tie downs.. which makes the winch rope go a little slack, then tension up on the winch tie down, final check of the rear tie down.

Quick easy, simple, no messing around at the ramp.

OH do not trust the rear tie down plastic coated chassis hooks .. the corode inside and snap.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Discovery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 11:01am
Discovery View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I ditched the wire and replaced with blue rope from Burnsco. So much nicer to use.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 11:07am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bearings finally sorted,driven over 100km now seems good. Post for winch has a tounge and moved it in about 30mm and now bow sits on front roller. Now sits on 3 rollers rather than 2 but not touching the end guide roller but doesnt rock due to buddies. Will it tow better being 30mm further forward?? Havent tried it yet,waiting to go out Friday.   Trailer feels a bit more balanced though,fuel in 2 x 11lt tanks under seats,battery in stern ,other side fish gear bin.

Neighbours keep looking as if to say ,is he going out??(heads/frames,dont want fillets??)
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 8:25pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Now sits on 3 rollers rather than 2 but not touching the end guide roller but doesnt rock due to buddies. Will it tow better being 30mm further forward??

Instructions on how to balance a trailer, boat, caravan whatever have been posted many times.
 For your boat you need about 65/ 75kg on the tow ball when the tow ball is at the height with trailer on.
 Or short cut, stand on it and measure from ground to top of the ball.
Now load the boat normal.
Grab the bathroom scales and a bit of scrap 3x2.
Measure the distance from inside the hitch, where the ball goes to bottom of the ball 'housing'
Put the 3x2 vertically on the scales, cut the 3x2 so is exact height the hitch sits on the ball with you standing on the ball..
Got to take into account the internal distance of where the ball fits to where the 3x2 props up the hitch underneath..
Now move the boat back and forth on the trailer so you get around 65 to 75 kg of vertical weight on the scales..

Note change the ball height changes the vertical weight.. even 15/ 20mm makes significant difference and  characteristics of towing.
 With duel axle  a 30mm change can go from 85 kg to 15 kg At 15 kg it is an accident waiting to happen.

I adjust my boat position by using a wood shim between the front V rubber and the winch post it bolts 2. If that doesnt work well (gets to be 20/25mm +) then the ball height, bit more expensive.. gets changed.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 2:49pm
Metal Float View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

How do folk tie-off their rope to the S/S hook? Splice or u-bolt? Also, anyone had any issues of the S/S being nicked (rope cut) while out fishing?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 6:39pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If using dyneema rope if you can splice a loop then that’s a good way to go. Splicing dyneema isn’t as hard as it sounds, look up
The Brummel lock splice on YouTube and grab yourself a splicing fid, handy to have.

https://youtu.be/4WW7Qvg3VjI

I have used a half hitch with a stopper knot on the end, then cinch the half hitch down against the stopper knot. Some guys use a bowline as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 6:57pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Metal Float Metal Float wrote:

How do folk tie-off their rope to the S/S hook? Splice or u-bolt? Also, anyone had any issues of the S/S being nicked (rope cut) while out fishing?
Best move I ever made,wet it when winding on,would I go back to wire??Nah   Managed to work loop holding supplied square hook and replace with my old rounded one,Someone cutting it??more likely to steal winch handle
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 7:36am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Dyneema is simple. heat the end so melted and hve a nice round hard end Pass the rope thru the hook eye and have about 10" of tag.
Poke a hole in the side of the dyneema.. it is hollow.. then push/ feed the tag up the center. Now pull the rope tight .
Thats it.

Page  <12