Stradic 8000FJ

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stradic 8000FJ
    Posted: 27 May 2012 at 5:11pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mate brought us a couple Shimano Backbone Elites at the boat show for throwing poppers, we're now thinking of what reel to match them up with. Im thinking a Stradic 8000FJ as first choice, will be loaded with 50lb braid.
Please dont recommend Stella's or Saragosa's they out of our price range but open to other options around the same price as a Stradic.
Would consider bringing into NZ either the Battle or Conquer series from the states as I dont think they are avaiable here in NZ, or go with the spinfishers.
Thoughts please.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote juggernaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2012 at 5:26pm
juggernaut View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey mate. I haven't tried the stradic 8000fj hands on but I've been doing a lot of research on spinning reels for poppers, from stellas to Bait runners and everything in between. I will be getting a Stradic 8000 FJ for this in the next few weeks. Ive noticed most of the guys in the fishing shops use them for poppers and they have the pick of the bunch. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote juggernaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2012 at 5:34pm
juggernaut View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Oh yeah, and  I've got the Stradic 4000 FJ and its perfection!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2012 at 6:19pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Pflueger salt 80, $ 199 at FCO.. This is very cheap as I thought they were supposed to be $299 . I used one at the 3 kings and it did the job well on big fish to 30 kg.or a daiwa saltist at $ 399which I've seendo the damage as well.. For the money these reels have a lot of drag
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote straks007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2012 at 8:46pm
straks007 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I recently purchased the Penn Conquer 7000 reel from Marine Deals for $150 on their midweek special. I think they are still doing it for around 2 hundie. I am yet to use it but really like the feel of it. It looks wellbuilt and puts out 15kg of drag which should be plenty for Gulf Kings. I'm looking at putting it on the BBE Popper Rod as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ReelAppealLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2012 at 8:54pm
ReelAppealLures View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by juggernaut juggernaut wrote:

Hey mate. I haven't tried the stradic 8000fj hands on but I've been doing a lot of research on spinning reels for poppers, from stellas to Bait runners and everything in between. I will be getting a Stradic 8000 FJ for this in the next few weeks. Ive noticed most of the guys in the fishing shops use them for poppers and they have the pick of the bunch. Apparently the Stradic 8000 have taken over the twin powers with technology and this is why a lot of shops have the twin powers on discount at the mo? Same or better reel for less $( just quoting other people here). It would be hard to hold much more drag on a longer rod so in that case there is plenty of drag and the drag is super smooth. Id be keen for a report if  you end up getting one. 

The TwinPower is worlds apart from a Stradic... The TwinPower does not sell well here in NZ when it is so closely priced to the Stella, many opt to spend the extra for the Stella, so there is little market for the reel in Australasia, not because the Stradic has surpassed the TwinPower...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Reel-Appeal-Lures/300309486704362
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ReelAppealLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2012 at 9:20pm
ReelAppealLures View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Tzer Tzer wrote:

Mate brought us a couple Shimano Backbone Elites at the boat show for throwing poppers, we're now thinking of what reel to match them up with. Im thinking a Stradic 8000FJ as first choice, will be loaded with 50lb braid.
Please dont recommend Stella's or Saragosa's they out of our price range but open to other options around the same price as a Stradic.
Would consider bringing into NZ either the Battle or Conquer series from the states as I dont think they are avaiable here in NZ, or go with the spinfishers.
Thoughts please.

Hey Tzer,

I didn't think there was much price difference between the Stradic and the Saragosa? The Saragosa has proven to hold it's own...Quite a tough one this given the price limit, popping is hard work for inferior reels... The mid range reels are another $200 on top of the Stradic price tag.

I don't know about the Penn's though...They seem light duty? What are you targeting with the combo? 
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Reel-Appeal-Lures/300309486704362
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TM. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2012 at 7:43am
TM. View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

anybody know what these are like........

For fishermen who expect a lot from their reels

Featuring two separate drag systems the Quantum Boca BST60PTS Bait Runner Reel is your perfect stray-lining reel. Whether you are throwing bait around from land or off the side of the boat the bait runner feature of this reel will dramatically increase your hook-up rate by automatically allowing the bigger fish to run with and swallow your bait before you strike. With a stacked ceramic drag that is capable of turning out 12.2kg of drag it is well suited not only for stray-lining for Snapper but can be used with confidence to target Kingfish, using cubes or live baits.

With Quantum's famous SaltGuard six-layer corrosion protection finish the Boca BST60PTS is designed to handle the harsh saltwater environment. Other features include a solid one-piece aluminium body and side plate, MAGLOK continuous anti-reverse, Long Stroke aluminium spool and extra hard PT gears.

Quantum Boca BST60PTS Bait Runner Reel Features:
  • Polymer Stainless Hybrid PT Bearings - The best performing bearings in the industry
  • Saltgard 6-Layer Corrosion Protection Finish
  • TiMAG Salt Titanium Bail with Magnetic Trip
  • MAGLOK Continuous Anti-Reverse
  • Stacked Ceramic Front-Adjustable Drag System
  • Improved LMS Line Management System
  • Long Stroke Designed Aluminum Spool
  • Solid one-piece aluminium body and side plate
  • Light-Weight Machined Aluminum Collapsible Crank Handle
  • Extra-Hard PT Gears

Specifications:
  • Bearings: 4+1
  • Line Capacity: 220m/14lb
  • Gear Ratio: 4.9:1
  • Max Drag (kg): 12.2 & 1.8
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TM. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2012 at 7:44am
TM. View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

on special this week at marine deals
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote C A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2012 at 8:00am
C A View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hey craig, if you want to try a finnor offshore give us a yell ive got one here you can have a play with
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ponty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2012 at 11:37am
ponty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I ended up getting a 8000FJ for my t curve popper rod, never used it yet. However found it to be a extremely good weight compared to the baitrunners. I was looking  Penn Conquer 7000 however i didn't go for it because i want to use the stradic for jigging as well and was worried abo9ut the line cap. However mite just do the job fine and save yourself some money. Stradics been selling for 300 at a few places which aint a bad price at all though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2012 at 1:32pm
Nomis View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Twin power vs stradic  -  comparing apples vs oranges here in the size stradic TZER is after, Twin powers not in a 8000 jumps from 4000 to a 10000sw only...

The FJ stradics have X-ship gearing (same system as the FE stellas) Take a look on shimano web site to see what x ship is - will give you some good understanding there are a few videos on the US shimano web page to explain this.

Stradic FJ will be a good match up for the BBE popper rod - Sufficient drag / line capacity / and reliability from a reliable brand

Has 13 KG max drag /  Bearings + 1 anti reverse (6 total) Paladin gearing 4:8:1 gear ratio
and only 580 gramms  - has the specs to be a absolute work horse reel few guys here at Shimano NZ use them as a reel of choice for innergulf top water my self included (keep in mind we all have access to twin powers and Stellas as well)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2012 at 8:52pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers guys will continue to some homework but the Stradic is probably the way we will go.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2012 at 10:14pm
Clay View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Nomis Nomis wrote:

few guys here at Shimano NZ use them as a reel of choice for innergulf top water my self included (keep in mind we all have access to twin powers and Stellas as well)

Agree they are nice reels, however if price isn't a consideration, on what basis would you choose it over a TP or Stella?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2012 at 8:39am
Nomis View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Clay Clay wrote:

few guys here at Shimano NZ use them as a reel of choice for innergulf top water my self included (keep in mind we all have access to twin powers and Stellas as well)

Agree they are nice reels, however if price isn't a consideration, on what basis would you choose it over a TP or Stella?

Because they are awesome :P - I still use both twin power and stella as well as but i wouldnt turn down using the stradic - if it were a 3 kings / ranfurley bank trip it may be stellas , twin powers only, as Id be wanting to use 80LB braid and a bigger size reel. put it this way I dont know any one here who would be up set at haviung to use the Stradic...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Men In Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2012 at 9:05am
Men In Black View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Updated as per Nomis FJ 8000 exploded view
www.synit.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2012 at 9:59am
Nomis View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Men In Black Men In Black wrote:

Save your pingers Craig, I think you will find the Stradic to be a bit too little duty for what you want... If the Stradic 8000 FJ is the same drag design as the other FJ's in the  Stradic line up  they still use "Oil Felt" drag washers, great in a light duty reel but if you get one big running Kingfish and have to up the drag anywhere near max the heat will pump the oil out of the Felt drag and they get very jerky real quick. Carbertex upgrade would fix the problem but create a set of new issues as the internals of the reel aren't rated to handle the extra pressure.....
Best advice is to hold you $$$ for either a TwinPower 10000 SW, Stella 8000SW, or the new Daiwa Catalina 4500 or 5000 that is due out soon. All of these will be better suited to prolonged use on Kingfish...

If you saw "Big Angry Fish" last weekend you will have seen what these reels need to be capable of anything less will let you down sooner or later... mind you they were in very shallow water and had to lock and load

hmm Men in black where did you come across this piece of info? - the below pics dont look like a "oil felt" drag to me

Wont be any issues that men in balck has mentioned - having kings go on long runs / heat build up etc - pics below should speak for its self - no point up grading these to a carbontex

Oil felts are used in the smaller soft bait reels up to the 4000 how ever

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ponty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2012 at 10:10am
ponty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I am not a expert but with a backbone wouldn't It not be as good quality as say a T Curve popper rod so you wouldn't want to put as much strain on it with a twinpower/stella but a stradic instead? However I know those backbones are pretty good quality and great value for money so mite be fine.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Men In Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2012 at 11:14am
Men In Black View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Men In Black Men In Black wrote:

Save your pingers Craig, I think you will find the Stradic to be a bit too little duty for what you want... If the Stradic 8000 FJ is the same drag design as the other FJ's in the  Stradic line up  they still use "Oil Felt" drag washers, great in a light duty reel but if you get one big running Kingfish and have to up the drag anywhere near max the heat will pump the oil out of the Felt drag and they get very jerky real quick. Carbertex upgrade would fix the problem but create a set of new issues as the internals of the reel aren't rated to handle the extra pressure.....
Best advice is to hold you $$$ for either a TwinPower 10000 SW, Stella 8000SW, or the new Daiwa Catalina 4500 or 5000 that is due out soon. All of these will be better suited to prolonged use on Kingfish...

If you saw "Big Angry Fish" last weekend you will have seen what these reels need to be capable of anything less will let you down sooner or later... mind you they were in very shallow water and had to lock and load

hmm Men in black where did you come across this piece of info? - the below pics dont look like a "oil felt" drag to me

Wont be any issues that men in balck has mentioned - having kings go on long runs / heat build up etc - pics below should speak for its self - no point up grading these to a carbontex

Oil felts are used in the smaller soft bait reels up to the 4000 how ever

Cheers , I only had the schematic spec sheets on the FJ up to the 5000 model,  working off these models presumed it was carried through to the bigger sizes although I did question that in my original post!!!
good to see they have used Carbon in the 8000 size.  Does it have the bearing under spool or is it running direct on the shaft??? smaller size schematic's doesn't show it...
May still be a good option for Craig then...
www.synit.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2012 at 2:56pm
Nomis View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers , I only had the schematic spec sheets on the FJ up to the 5000 model,  working off these models presumed it was carried through to the bigger sizes although I did question that in my original post!!!
good to see they have used Carbon in the 8000 size.  Does it have the bearing under spool or is it running direct on the shaft??? smaller size schematic's doesn't show it...
May still be a good option for Craig then... [/QUOTE]

All good Graham. No bearing under the spool but doesnt run direct to the main shaft has 2 support spacers as well as your usual spool washers.
Nice little reels !
Page  12>