Anyone taken Gulp overseas?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 2cold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone taken Gulp overseas?
    Posted: 13 May 2012 at 10:37pm
2cold View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Just wondering if people have tried taking Gulp baits overseas? I'm assuming it would be fine but am just a little unsure due to them being protein based and in a scented liquid. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2012 at 10:42pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Taken them to Aus and back many times no problems, always declare them but they often are not interested in checking and always a source of fascination to the customs officers! Best to take unopened packets if possible - depending on where you are going they are far cheaper to purchase overseas anyway, and I usually stock up coming back. I have heard of some people having hassles, but I've done probably 30 return trips this past 5 years with them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2012 at 11:18pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

According to the guys  at Purefishing, no way should you try to get gulps into aussie as they will be taken from you (although I have taken them there and thru there many times en route to the solomons, no worries at all).
Take them, if they remove them from you, they have it over there anyhow so you can replace them. Or, as has been said, save your baggage weight for something more important, and just buy what you want when you get over there, even easier.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 2cold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2012 at 11:39pm
2cold View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hmm heading to Raro though not Oz, might be a bit harder to track down over there I think, I don't think it's the 'go to' fishing technique up there LOL

Cheers for the info, sounds like it shouldn't be an issue anyways Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lineburningthugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 10:55pm
Lineburningthugs View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

just take new unopened packets, will be sweet as..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FarmerBrowne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 12:19pm
FarmerBrowne View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by 2cold 2cold wrote:

Hmm heading to Raro though not Oz, might be a bit harder to track down over there I think, I don't think it's the 'go to' fishing technique up there LOL

Cheers for the info, sounds like it shouldn't be an issue anyways Thumbs Up
I have taken gulps over to Raro once but don't bother as they get chewed up by toothy critters real quick.  Better to take plastic baits that are a little more resilient to chewing and also some small hex lures.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 9:43pm
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Travelled with gulp a lot in the last 7 or 8 years. Never ever had a problem
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 4:08pm
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There was a similar discussion on here about Gulp! a couple of years ago. 

I don't think there's an issue with the ingredients per se, more some type of trade restriction on the stuff to protect the importers/distributors over here. If it contained something that was a risk to our bio security, then they wouldn't be allowed to have the stuff in the country full stop.
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote footey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 5:53pm
footey View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have taken unopened packets to raro twice- no worries. But saying that fishing wise I had a lot more success fishing small poppers as you need something that floats otherwise the coral eats everything and you lose all your gear almost every cast
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BBFisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 9:32am
BBFisha View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I took a couple of pottles to Samoa a few years back, one and only time I have been taken in to the little back room and asked to sit in the chair and slowly take my shoes off.....

Luckily it was only one shoe, the swabbed it and said I could go.  No white gloves and touching my toes - phew!

I think it was the combo of no fixed address, staying on a yacht the whole time I was in Samoa and the sniffer dog taking a liking to me.  It might have been the curly/multicoloured things I had floating in juice in my bags too but I will never know!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 2cold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 11:53pm
2cold View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Awesome cheers guys, sounds like it will be fine, I'll have to post a few pics when i get back Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote petethemeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2012 at 7:00pm
petethemeat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Taken Gulp to Fiji, Tonga and Raro with no issues.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BeachedAsBro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 11:59am
BeachedAsBro View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wasting your time with SP's in the tropics - as others have said, small surface poppers are much more resiliant - and also much more productive.

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish caught will we realise we can't eat money.