Topwater lures on a budget?

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 2cold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 8:37pm
2cold View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Have you thought about wire assists on your jigs as everything over there has teeth.

Also think about a few Rapala type lures for trolling around the reefs to.

Was in a FCO shop yesterday they had $20-$40 Stickbaits and Poppers in packets, if that is what you are after change the split rings and hooks if you are serious... dependant on budget.

Even think about single hooks as you are in tiger countryOuch

Yep got ****loads of wire assists for the trip and will definitely rig a few poppers with singles Thumbs Up
Have a few Halco Lasers to take up too but not really keen on doing that much trolling around- not really my thing (although I'm sure that will change if other things aren't working).
I'll have a look on the FCO website and check them out- I see Torpedo7 is having a pretty sweet sale at the moment too
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 2cold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 8:45pm
2cold View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by 2cold 2cold wrote:

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Have you thought about wire assists on your jigs as everything over there has teeth.

Also think about a few Rapala type lures for trolling around the reefs to.

Was in a FCO shop yesterday they had $20-$40 Stickbaits and Poppers in packets, if that is what you are after change the split rings and hooks if you are serious... dependant on budget.

Even think about single hooks as you are in tiger countryOuch

Yep got ****loads of wire assists for the trip and will definitely rig a few poppers with singles Thumbs Up
Have a few Halco Lasers to take up too but not really keen on doing that much trolling around- not really my thing (although I'm sure that will change if other things aren't working).
I'll have a look on the FCO website and check them out- I see Torpedo7 is having a pretty sweet sale at the moment too
Just read your reply too Alan, I guess my best bet is to pack as much different stuff as I possibly can into my suitcase and just use my carry on luggage for my clothes etc LOL I'm guessing it's 80lb gear minimum for the jigging up there? Any ideas on jig weights, shapes etc? Is it okay to take a big rod tube (maybe 2) on the plane to Aitutaki?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 11:23pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just remember to pack spin reels very carefully.... bale arms bend so very easily when airport gorillas chuck your bags around. I put mine, wrapped in bubble wrap.... in large clip-top boxes for safety. This is also cool as you can then use the same boxes for taking your lures out in the boats in as a tackle box. Just electric tape the boxes closed to stop them from accidentally popping open.
Also use these same boxes to take all your lures. I always take mine out of their packaging.... if you take a lot of lures as I do, then this will add crucial weight to your bags.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fishmad1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 11:34pm
fishmad1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey Pal,

Try a Gillies floating Stick bait...I had 2 GT's a few months back on one. I think they are about 40-50 bucks back home..
www.hi-ika.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PoppinTonga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 6:57am
PoppinTonga View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Out of the box, with no changes, River2sea and Halco products are hard to beat.  Have got some pretty good GTs on these lures.  If you are in monster country, upgrade the hooks and splits.  
Tis better to have hooked and lost than never to have hooked at all.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Men In Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 9:42am
Men In Black View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by PoppinTonga PoppinTonga wrote:

Out of the box, with no changes, River2sea and Halco products are hard to beat.  Have got some pretty good GTs on these lures.  If you are in monster country, upgrade the hooks and splits.  
Kurt... so you won't be wanting the x4 little poppers I have here that Sam did for you then...LOLLOL, I took them at the Boat show for you but we must have missed each other.... they look very impressive mate.... have told Sam I still have them so no doubt I will have to part with themCry
www.synit.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fenien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 9:45am
Fenien View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

They looked so impressive that I felt like making off with them.Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ahab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 10:17am
Ahab View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Don't be afraid to take a heap of little chromies and a lighter spin set for inside the reef over the flats. Cheap/easy way to go and awesome fun on the various smaller predators. I've also done well with white bucktail jigs if you can source/tie some. And softies would have to be devastating!
Page  <12