opening day reports

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tugboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: opening day reports
    Posted: 06 May 2012 at 6:06pm
tugboat View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Dont wana talk about it!!!Embarrassed

Managed to call one nice looken drake in, suprized me the angle he came in on, flaired up right in front of me, 20 yard shot, should have been an easy duck, i stood there in disbelief clutching me caller, brain registered "its a duck"Pinch ok wheres me gun and he was gone!!LOL
That was the end of it, managed to swing a few high flying mallards but wasnt enough to bring em in.
Lota parries flying overhead but also high.
I could hear the firth every 10 minutes or so rocking away like a locomotive with gunfire, very cool and some locals putting some serious lead into the air with there semi's, a few calls now and then but i reckon they must have been hammering the parries cause there was bugger all calling and the mallards i was seeing were bloody high..
Looking foward to some wind this week and an evening shoot..
Dispite my luck it was good to see a few birds around, i reckon there must have been a truck load of mallards on the firth, gota be alot of birds looken for new homes!!

On the upside this looks alright for me!!Big smile
25 knot northerlys, that'll get em up off the firth!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote C A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 6:42pm
C A View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

not too bad, me and dad managed 20 for the weekend, mallards very cagey and didnt want to come in. lost a few woundies as well ****ing steel give me lead any day 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 6:47pm
Bushpig View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hard weekend, lack of wind made it tough on the big water.

Can't wait to get out again, will try during he week
I would rather laugh with the Sinners, than cry with the Saints
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 6:52pm
Snag View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Never have I seen soo many ............... Parries!!! awesome fun tho, no mallards.
 "Just living the dream"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 7:08pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just a couple for me, placed an order with the crewThumbs Up, had to pluck & gut them myselfCry next lot of fish the crew can fillet & bone themslevesBig smile.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lips/hooked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 7:21pm
lips/hooked View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

only a couple but a few downed early and couldnt find in the river fogThumbs Down bummer, but may give it ago tomorrow by floating down the river.
$hit happens
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 7:24pm
smelli View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by C A C A wrote:

not too bad, me and dad managed 20 for the weekend, mallards very cagey and didnt want to come in. lost a few woundies as well ****ing steel give me lead any day 

Be like my ex boss and get a 20 gauge so can still use lead... STEEL SUXAngry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 7:59pm
Snag View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

A short clip, we had this all afternoon!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Double Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 8:09pm
Double Shot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nicely done Scott, bet you won't do that again mate...LOL I'm sure you'll get that weather you are waiting for mate, should do as it's not the best in Bass Strait...

You have a competition to win Bushie, c'mon mate have to do better huh...

Mind you, very jealous all you buggers are getting out there...
70ml of 90deg C water pressurised through 13g of roasted finely ground tamped coffee for 25sec's to make a distinguishing sensory hit called a Double Shot    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tugboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 10:39pm
tugboat View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by snag snag wrote:

A short clip, we had this all afternoon!

LOLLOLLOL was the dog shot??? far ken dog!!LOL

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 6:36am
Bushpig View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It's the owners fault not the dog
I would rather laugh with the Sinners, than cry with the Saints
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwicaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 7:36am
Kiwicaster View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Heard a rumor that 20g is next on the no lead list.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dave775 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 8:25am
Dave775 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

We managed 25 mallards 3 swan and 10 geese, between three of us. The mallards we flying high and not wanting to come into the lake at all. Our mates shot their limits before 9am both days... That was a fun phone call on Saturday when we had 1 in the maimai
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Harmul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 8:31am
Harmul View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Kiwicaster Kiwicaster wrote:

Heard a rumor that 20g is next on the no lead list.
Na, they wont change 20ga into steel only in  the foreseeable future. It doesnt stock up money wise for any of the manufacturers to bring out steel ammo in the sub gauges.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tinfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 9:09am
Tinfish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Got back from North Canterbury late last night.
Very still calm conditions with heavy fog until about noon on Saturday.
3 guys shooting and we managed a 25 bird limit each day. Best shooting we have experienced in years.
Cant wait for a walk on pheasants this weekend now Big smile 
Stand up to be seen, speak up to be heard. BUT shut up to be appreciated.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RJ51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 9:32am
RJ51 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Managed 7 mallards and 1 parrie between 2 of us not much flying aroung where we were. Got my first banded bird.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Outram Nugget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 9:58am
Outram Nugget View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

18 mallards and a water rat between two of us on Saturday, only 2 mallards on Sunday.  Plenty of missing on Saturday, should have had limit by 8.00am.  More than enough than I want to eat and pluck. 2 banded birds
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fitzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 10:33am
fitzy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Saw heaps of birds in Te Awamutu area but very hard to get into range. Was something weird going on near Lake Ngaroto with a chopper flying around both mornings from 6 am to 8 am. Protesters maybe?

Ended up with a handful, plus a few pooks and the biggest hare I have ever seen. Two koi carp from the river as well, nearly 10 lbs each!!

Young dog didnt work well, no doubt a result of no hunting last year. Cant wait to get out again.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GSPOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 2:46pm
GSPOT View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

We had our Limit of mallards by 8.30 on Saturday and 9.30 on Sunday.  Will let them settle this week and give them a tickle up again on the weekend.  I even managed to catch a nice trout on Saturday since we were finished so early. (We shoot on the Waihou River between Te Aroha and Matamata.)

Dave775 sounds like Jacob is keen to come for a looksee. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fitzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 3:06pm
fitzy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Way to go GSpot. Are you near Shaftsbury. A mate had a run off there which was always a great spot during the season.
Page  12>