Trout fishing near Glenorchy/Dart/Rees Valley

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote indigo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trout fishing near Glenorchy/Dart/Rees Valley
    Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 10:47am
indigo1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I'm going to be spending a week or so in the valley over easter and I see some lakes and streams allow spin fishing, whilst other don't. Will be taking my spin rod only, and am wondering how the fishing is in there spinning wise (where allowed)?

Thanks 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 11:19am
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Chris Dore will be able to help you, but from personal experience (I'm a fly fisherman 99.9%) I take a pack spin rod armed with a Rapala CD5 everywhere I fish for fun and stubborn fish or fish in large featureless pools / pools that cannot be fly fished due to overhanging foliage and generally in high pressure area's like where you are heading, ultra-light spin gear can/and usually is absolutely deadly over fly in my opinion and usually results in the largest fish, if in a pool holding more than one.

I find it amazing you can cast over a fish in shallow water that will ignore all fly offerings and repeated money-shot casts only to absolutely smash a Rapala on the first pull past it's nose.... Just make sure you use single hooks - PLEASE! Can be especially effective over the next 3 weeks due to increased activity over spawning territory.

Tight lines, it's a magic area...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote indigo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 11:27am
indigo1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for the detailed response. Any preferred colors for that area or in general? I only use single hooks, IME I have a better catch rate with them also.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 11:44am
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I only use CD5 and CD7 in Brown Trout pattern - nothing else compares IMO! if you buy from overseas, they are around $9 landed compared to $25 locally! Brown's seem to particulary like their own kind... the duller patterns are great, just stay away from the brighter patterns.

We will be doing a video for Fish and Game in the near future about how to fish Rapala's sucessfully, which will cover all the bases.

Agree, catch rate far better with singles for me as well - I import the flat-eye Gammy's so they ride hook-up and snagless, they are brilliant with just the one hook hanging off the back. Braided rvivers seem particulary suited to Rapala work... just ask Martin Simpson (The fish painter & F&G Mag.), he fishes Rapala's 100% of the time now over fly and catches so many double figure fish it's not funny! Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chris Dore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 7:23pm
Chris Dore View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Routeburn, greenstone and caples are fly fishing only. Diamond creek is tough to fish with spin. Focus on the dart and rees deltas with small, silver lures for the salmon, browns and rainbows which are smelting at present.

Maybe also try diamond lake.. Have fun.
Chris Dore
FFF Certified Casting Instructor
SCOTT Pro Staff
Fly Fishing and Casting Tuition, Queenstown
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote indigo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 1:12pm
indigo1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers for the replies guys