Lime splashes from roadworks

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lime splashes from roadworks
    Posted: 17 Mar 2012 at 11:47am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Yesterday whilst towing the boat to & from the Kaipara drove
thru road works where that sticky wet whitish stuff had been laid.

Consequently the underneath of the boat & trailer were coated in
the stuff with some still remaining despite vigorous waterblasting.

Does anyone know if it can harm aluminium or galvanised steel?

As it turns tyres a bluish colour would imagine it is fairly alkaline
therefore relatively harmless but would be comforting to know
for certain.  
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grinna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2012 at 11:53am
Grinna View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I beleive it's ok on the alloy however it appears to stain the Galv. on my trailer.Angry
Composite Trailerboat inspections
Waitakare
mob.021 618-971
[email protected]
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2012 at 11:55am
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

as long as  remove it Bazza it will be fine,if you dilute some "spirits of salts" with clean fresh water it will react with lime or cement and remove /nuetralize it,it will leave a mark as it will clean the area..i work for a stabilizing company and our vehicles are subjected to this every day..
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2012 at 11:56am
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

also try vinegar,chip off the lumps to speed the process up 
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2012 at 4:24pm
Bushpig View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Get a better water blaster
I would rather laugh with the Sinners, than cry with the Saints
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote chris_gee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2012 at 6:28pm
chris_gee View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I don't know the significance of turning tyres blue. If it dissolves in a weak acid like vinegar it is a base or alkali, which dissolves aluminium. I suggest you get it off with a weak acid,  vinegar preferably or very dilute hydrochloric acid, not sulphuric acid. I imagine it is a base if not limestone per se then cement.
As an aside you never use caustic soda based things on aluminium.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2012 at 8:48pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Definitely stained (if u can call it that) the aluminium running boards on the ute.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2012 at 9:15pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

if you get lime/cement/kobm on your car or boat it needs to be cleaned asap,if its on alloy  you need to wash the whole area with acid..we have many trucks with alloy tanks that spread 100s of tons of lime etc,they dont have stains on the tanks..they dont have any stains anywhere from lime etc.. they do have stains from the acid where it was applied to stong and not rinsed off quickly..

Bazza,i will personally get you the acid you need to clean your boat..pm me and i will sort it out
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 8:11am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by of2fsh of2fsh wrote:

if you get lime/cement/kobm on your car or boat it needs to be cleaned asap,if its on alloy  you need to wash the whole area with acid..we have many trucks with alloy tanks that spread 100s of tons of lime etc,they dont have stains on the tanks..they dont have any stains anywhere from lime etc.. they do have stains from the acid where it was applied to stong and not rinsed off quickly..

Bazza,i will personally get you the acid you need to clean your boat..pm me and i will sort it out

Thanks O2F & others that replied giving advice.

The waterblaster judging by the staining  on the concrete
it was done on has removed the bulk of it but once it dries
residual patches here & there are apparent.

Plus is a bit difficult to get a direct blast at the lowest parts of
the hull also various nooks & crannies on the trailer. How would
you suggest applying the stuff you suggest using .... would a
garden sprayer be suitable.

Yes would appreciate taking up your kind offer of supplying some
of the concoction you suggest .... would be happy to collect it &
pay or bring some other appropriate form of appreciation . From
memory see to remember you are Hibicus coast way ... will pm
my contact details.

Naturally would prefer to avoid risk of permannt staining on a
relatively new rig.

BTW ... forget what it is called but entire surface of the alu inside
& out is coated in a clear protective coating which turns sticky if
accidently spilling petrol or suchlike on it. In your opinion would
this coating  :-

Firstly afford protection against the effects of lime splashes ?
Secondly likely to be affected by the solution you suggest using?
Cheers Barry

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote crowbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 8:52am
crowbar View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Stop at Wash World in Kumeu & wash the boat, trailer & car, they have a up wash there especially for washing under vechials
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 9:26am
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not shure if the acid wil damage the Nyalic coating Bazza,might pay to e mail the Nyalic people before applying acid,I don't want to be responsible for damaging
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mouthu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 9:47am
mouthu View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Dom't forget to wash under your tow vehicle as well Bazza, I use a garden sprinkler to get into the nooks and crannies on my landcruiser, a note for the future is to wash your vehicle as soon as possible whence you've been over lime.
The road works set up will have signs that read 'wash car today', they're not kidding as you have found out.
Yes it was me, I screwed it up for everyone.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 5:36pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Just a suggestion to of2fish and the other people who spray this lime around: why not set up an upward spray about 200m after the roadworks end?  It could be optional - cars could bypass it if they don't care, or don't want to slow down.  To me a warning sign is not enough.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 6:53pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Far Quirk Far Quirk wrote:

Just a suggestion to of2fish and the other people who spray this lime around: why not set up an upward spray about 200m after the roadworks end?  It could be optional - cars could bypass it if they don't care, or don't want to slow down.  To me a warning sign is not enough.

Good thinking FQ ....... surely if roading companies are responsible for
using this stuff that coats & probably harms our vehicles then they have
an obligation to provide a facility that will wash it off or neutralise it.  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 5:24pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If we supply a car wash up the road we are then liable for the water run off entering the drains,the costs of a small job will increase to a point it's not viable,believe me we have thought of everything and tried them as well,we do what we have to to comply with the rules and regs.
The complete lack of decent drivers who can read signs and slow down is a large problem,if you do 30 thru a work site you wil get minimum splashes on your car,this sounds simple but the reality is no one does.I have a complaints dept on my sites where disgruntled drivers can discuss there issues.Itcomes with a free black eye and verbal abuse from a west Auckland Maori who drives for me
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mouthu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 5:56pm
mouthu View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

of2fsh is totally right! No one slows down for road works sites and if you're going to say you do, don't bother.

You'll like this, I rang the cops a few years ago to come down to my site on Tamaki Drive in Okahu Bay where we were trimming trees for the new bus lane, they (the cops) I think they ran out of tickets to give, the biggest reply was "What signs?" and "I didn't think the were right, I always do 50 along here!"

No when I set site like that, you have no choice but to slow down.
Yes it was me, I screwed it up for everyone.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote U357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 6:14pm
U357 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by bazza bazza wrote:

Originally posted by Far Quirk Far Quirk wrote:

Good thinking FQ ....... surely if roading companies are responsible for
using this stuff that coats & probably harms our vehicles then they have
an obligation to provide a facility that will wash it off or neutralise it.  

In America they would get sued for damages!
404. That’s an error.
That’s all we know.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 6:30pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by mouthu mouthu wrote:

of2fsh is totally right! No one slows down for road works sites and if you're going to say you do, don't bother.

You'll like this, I rang the cops a few years ago to come down to my site on Tamaki Drive in Okahu Bay where we were trimming trees for the new bus lane, they (the cops) I think they ran out of tickets to give, the biggest reply was "What signs?" and "I didn't think the were right, I always do 50 along here!"

No when I set site like that, you have no choice but to slow down.

The harsh reality when someone gets it wrong is a death,our company has just experienced this with an accident that left a road worker dead....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 7:42pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by of2fsh of2fsh wrote:

If we supply a car wash up the road we are then liable for the water run off entering the drains,the costs of a small job will increase to a point it's not viable,believe me we have thought of everything and tried them as well,we do what we have to to comply with the rules and regs.
The complete lack of decent drivers who can read signs and slow down is a large problem,if you do 30 thru a work site you wil get minimum splashes on your car,this sounds simple but the reality is no one does.I have a complaints dept on my sites where disgruntled drivers can discuss there issues.Itcomes with a free black eye and verbal abuse from a west Auckland Maori who drives for me

Fair comment I reckon & rather shamefully have to plead guilty to driving
much faster than I should have thru the area concerned so probably largely
have myself to  blame.

Will know better next time tho as another couple of minutes or so it takes to
slow down is tiny compared to the time it takes to clean up the mess if you don't.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 7:46pm
kens View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by mouthu mouthu wrote:

thats a bit harsh mouthu, I've done my share of time on the side of the road and I do slow down for road work sites.
The past, the present and the future walked into a bar.

It was tense.
Page  12>