Who's been saltwater fly fishing? Auckland

Page  <1 224225226227228 237>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 8:17am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

I'm trying to go smaller in hook size, but still retain the same sized flies. Big hooks can do a lot of damage, small hooks tend not to.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 9:00am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I like the idea of the smaller hooks, I was using size 4 in that video but encountered a problem with the jack macks.  The snapper were all hooked in the corner of the mouth while the Jack macks all swallowed the entire fly and got gill hooked, even though the fly is half their size. Mike ate them all though and they are tasty. Wonder if it could be a problem with kings as well? Haven't hooked one on a small hook yet.

A decent rubber net makes it a lot easier to land fish like your trev and also to release without need the need to hold them unless you want to take a few photos.  Mike's releases were great. He just keeps the net in the water, removes the fly and lets them swim off.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2021 at 3:18pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

The wakes are back, been out last 2 days , Conditions good from great to terrible in 10 mins but back to great again so been having a blast. Couple of decent follows with decent refusals

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 6:01am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Looking very nice Will There has still been a fair bit of wind up here. Dropping away today, hopefully for a few days.

Just wondering too, with your kingi presentations, have you ever tried just leaving the fly stationary? Just cast as close to the fish as you can and allow a slow sink in front of the fish. Don't move the fly at all.

The take can be a bit hard to see, but the general rule is strike at any downward body flex of the fish. It's probably the only way I've ever hooked cruising fish. Straight retrieves just produce follows, unless it's a popper or something with a bit more action.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 7:00am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Those wakes are cool mate, the heart must be pumping.  Hope you are out there now.  Looking forward to another king pic soon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 2:03pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I had more goes today one fish 3 different flys and also stopped on strip ( thanks Craig). 3 different wakers today 2 solid shots with follows. I'm going to get me one of those fish this week. Bets are on. Poppers are out tmrw.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 2:17pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yeah, I have never had too much luck on a pause or stop during a retrieve. The 'dead fly technique that has worked for me is always after a good cast directly in front of its nose. No movement of the fly at all. Just drop it within a few metres of the nose of the fish and let it sink. Hard to do some days obviously. And yes, reluctant fish like that can drive you mad.

At least you've got fish to cast at. Worst kingfish season we've had in the BOI's in many years. Lots and lots of kahawai though and I'm hoping those skippies come back.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 2:29pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey m8 yes understand the theory re cast and drop, will push it tmrw, it takes some balls not to strip that line LOL
If you have hd and full screen spot the fish before it becomes a wake.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 3:10pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Sure does! Good luck tomorrow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 9:04pm
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I think this fish takes the cake for biggest KY I've ever caught. And on fly off the bricks to boot!

On my second cast after arriving at spot, letting the fly sink and a solid take. Put a decent bend in the 9wt and took a fair bit of line.

Didn't bring a net so I had to give dad the rod while I climbed down the rockface and got the lip grippers into it.

Was a good session with another slightly smaller model and a few just legal snapper too, which were all released to get bigger.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 4:41am
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thats a worthy fish right there well done m8.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 6:59am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Wow! That's a monster! Did you get a tail fork length measurement on it?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 11:36am
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I don't usually bother to measure or weigh my fish, and then regret it later! 

I just found this online tool for reference scale measure of images. So I can enter the known length of the lip gripper tool (140) and use that to get a measure on the fish. 

See below, I would have guesstimated at around 600, but I guess have to factor in the fisherman's exaggeration margin of error. 
Was in great condition with beautiful fat roe, will go well in the smoker. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 11:47am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yep, that's a good one I tend to measure fish more than weigh them these days. Weight can vary a lot for fish of the same measurement. A lot of them get measured against the fly rod though and then the fly rod mark gets measured later
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 5:33pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That's a great fish from the rocks.  Congrats mate
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 6:39pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kingaling Kingaling wrote:

I think this fish takes the cake for biggest KY I've ever caught. And on fly off the bricks to boot!

On my second cast after arriving at spot, letting the fly sink and a solid take. Put a decent bend in the 9wt and took a fair bit of line.

Didn't bring a net so I had to give dad the rod while I climbed down the rockface and got the lip grippers into it.

Was a good session with another slightly smaller model and a few just legal snapper too, which were all released to get bigger.

I think I know that rock
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nymphOmaniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 12:15pm
nymphOmaniac View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Craig so your dead fly technique are you using any weight on the fly? e.g dumbel eyes or lead wraps or are you just using anon weighted fly.
http://nymphomaniacfishing.blogspot.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 12:46pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Unweighted on a surface cruising or shallow water fish, weighted on anything deeper. The king I hooked up off the rocks the other day took a heavy fly that was dead sunk straight down. King nabbed it just as the fly hit the sand.

Got into 'no retrieve' when trying to land a big king on fly off the rocks. Very often the kings would cruise along the weed line just off your rod tip. No retrieve possible in that situation so you have to just slap it down in front of them and let it sink.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 2:28pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

weather was terrible today but I still tucked in and managed to see at least 12 wakes and 4 solid fish underneath. Had good shots of stop and drop and fast and slow strips but still no cigar. Weighted flies unweighted flies. Kitchen sink fly nextTongue.
The collection of flys is building. This is just what I've used there's plenty more where they came from.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 3:00pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Top right. Literally lob it onto fish's nose.
You cant eat my toast fish
Page  <1 224225226227228 237>