Who's been saltwater fly fishing? Auckland

Page  <1 221222223224225 237>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 8:48am
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

"Special" is the word m8. They sure are moody fish, They remind me of bones. It was nice to actually be able to see the fish yesterday not just the wakes. 

"The fish I’ve taken off that flat all needed more than one shot and quick fly changes..."

Yes this I like we had multiple fly changes and are using different flys on each of our rods so can get another shot in after one fail for another go. Its great that these guys give us more than one go.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote queenfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 8:55pm
queenfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Isn't it great seeing king fish torturing us like that
I had one morning like that fish busting on small bait fish in one miter of water, it went for one hour me changing flies one after another,
there were two other boats casting lures, they couldn't hook up either.
next morning went again with new flies,
The kingies arrived so did the lure fisherman, after 10 to 15 cast without success, changed the rod with a sinking line with slightly bigger fly on it, first cast and I was hooked, landed the fish, the lure fisherman still couldn't catch any.
I will see if I can download the picture. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 5:43am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

That was a bloody good GC kingfish Vince Gotta love a place where you can catch kingfish and GTs in the same harbour
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 4:06pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Stunning conditions in Auck for a brief period this morning. No wakes lots of rays and 2 very big kingfish free swimming up to the boat. To close to get a decent shot. I,ll be back. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 6:45pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

We lost a big Kingi today. Stunning condition's when I hear Simon up front say ray! and  then ray rider, he cast his line 6 feet from the boat and BAM the fly didnt even get time to be stripped. It was the most perfect sighting casting and hooking. I saw the fish it was huge there were 2 on the rays back, then I hear KNOT. Simon had a knot in his fly line and couldn't wrestle it back in to undo, The king was doing its own thing, we then prayed for a second the knot would go through the guides but then the front section of the rod popped off and it was all over after that the backing then snapped off went the King with fly line leader fly and top section of the road. I love this game.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 6:57pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

woopsLOL,
looking like a nice morning alright.Thumbs Up,

Got busted the otherday to, not as bad as that tho, got fly back with a bit off kingy lip in it!

looks like thenext guy to hook up willget a free flyline  out of the deal.
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 8:33pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Mate, no words. Next one.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 8:41pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It's been a little while since I have been out on the salt. Every time I line up a day the weather folds on me and I end up heading for the trout waters.  

I finally snuck out for a quick change of light fish on the local reef yesterday arvo.  It was all on for about 1.5 hours.  First cast hooked up to a nice snap which I dropped at my feet.  

Then I had a streak of missed takes before I started landing them. Ended up with 3 snaps landed, all around the 35cm mark but missed so many and dropped at least another 3. Not sure what was up with my hook setting (oh wait I have been trout fishing LOL).

There were also a number of big splashes and bait scattering so plenty of predation going on.  A baitfish pattern Simon calls a Big Eye seems to work well.  All it is is big 10mm yellow eyes tied kindof piper style but fairly sparse on a short shank hook.  Just let it sink and do nothing. You either get smashed by a snap or when the Kahawai are around when you strip it back in.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 8:44pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

"Thanks Will. The fact that you saw them swimming on the bottom suggests that there are many situations in which a wading angler can't see the fish. There may be many flats out there with good kings on them, but were just not seeing them from the shore!"

That fits with my experience this summer - not seen one surface ripple since November. Wonder if is a response to pressure or if there are fewer rays to follow - there's a problem in Tauranga where rays are being targetted for their wings as a substitute for shark-fins ...
The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Prop Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 9:21pm
Prop Man View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 9:27pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by WillP WillP wrote:

We lost a big Kingi today. Stunning condition's when I hear Simon up front say ray! and  then ray rider, he cast his line 6 feet from the boat and BAM the fly didnt even get time to be stripped. It was the most perfect sighting casting and hooking. I saw the fish it was huge there were 2 on the rays back, then I hear KNOT. Simon had a knot in his fly line and couldn't wrestle it back in to undo, The king was doing its own thing, we then prayed for a second the knot would go through the guides but then the front section of the rod popped off and it was all over after that the backing then snapped off went the King with fly line leader fly and top section of the road. I love this game.

Peter Morse a long time ago told me what to do if this happened- turn the rod over (guides up) and chances are the knot will fly through the guides. I’ve had to do that a few times. It works Thumbs Up
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 10:04pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks Nick, that's a handy tip. I hope I remember it when I need it one day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 5:43am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Great stuff Will but very disappointing at the same time. Knots are a total curse. I've lost several good fish that way. The rod rollover trick sounds awesome (thanks Nick ) However, I'm not sure I could ever implement it in time in those situations. It all generally happens so fast.

Good to see you got out Johan
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 7:21am
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks for the tip pardon the pun. Its definitely raised a new level of awareness these kings at the boat. Its over in matter of seconds so chances are slim and you have to be alert and on to it, On this occasion Simon nailed it part from the knot pardon the pun. You tend to end up looking further out when you are struggling but looking further in may be the key. We saw another 2 free swimming after a that and it was my fair shot but I was a second 2 late. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 8:04am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Your puns are knot bad, in fact they characterise a reel seat of knowledge and humour, especially since you did it on the fly. You may be a leader in this field. Geek Tongue
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 8:23am
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Haha. I think i understand turning the rod over. So that when the knot travels through the guide it is closer to the anchor point of the guides giving it more chance of going through and not ripping the guide of at its flexiest point.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 8:52am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah mate. I've had a bit of a horror run with the running line in Rio's Flats Pro knotting and as you know bonefish dont stop and wait for you to clear knots so flipping the rod runs the line down the blank and thru the fattest section of the guide. Then you just sh1t yourself about whether the knot will get caught on coral as it screams across the flats.... and its happened more than once, more than twice...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 6:40pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My new thing to avoid tangles,[which can happen a lot when the lines been sloshing around in the cockpit of the Nucanoe] is line maintenance,
Meaning after a couple of sessions i strip off the line and clean it and treat with line dressing.
I use to do it bugger all, now im doing it regurly, heaps better, plus off course it casts  well,
Tangles etc still happen, but dont tend to grab tight and are easily pulled apart,

You all probably been doing that for years, but ive beeen lazy!
The frigging pile of sand and crap in the bottom off cleaning bucket says it all really.
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 7:51pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I might have to give it a try, I do zero line cleaning Embarrassed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 8:37pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Me and a friend launched at Bayswater before sunrise this morning. We planned to hit the markers on our way out but it was more choppy than planned with the NE so we went straight to Islington bay to hide behind the cliffs.  We fished the shallows for a short while after setting up and Mike struck early with a nice snap to the olive and white clouser.

A while later we spotted some birds out in the channel and headed over.  After a while I came up solid and called it for a rat king only for a solid kahawai to surface eventually. It came home for dinner and weighed in at 2.5kg tonight. My small anchovy fly did the damage and that was all I fished with for most of the rest of the day

We stuck with the birds for a while but eventually switched to sinking lines which resulted in a procession of snapper drifting different areas between 7 and 12 meters near where the birds were.  The two biggest of these were 37cm for me and 38cm for Mike.

We moved onto another area of birds near Crusoe and we were just not having much luck.  On my deep line I kept hooking lots of jack macks. Decent size ones. Mike kept a few for dinner and he said they were full of the smelt size baitfish that were everywhere.  Never saw much suface splashing apart from the odd bigger boil so wonder if it was the jack macks chasing the bait?

After lunch we came across balls of bait pushed right near the surface and visible as big dark patches near the surface.  I saw several groups of kahawai and a few rat kings go through it but could not hook up.  I eventually had 2 noncommittal follows from rat kings with a crease fly.

We eventually gave up on the birds and fished a shallow weed edge where the birds had been pushing the bait up a bit earlier.  This resulted in a quick procession of snapper and than a solid hit which turned into what I think is my PB snapper on fly at 56cm.  Not sure, as I don't really keep much records but it is certainly on the bigger side.

We called it a day at 3pm and headed home.  Great day out with plenty of fish to keep us entertained and frustrated.  Couple of photos below

Page  <1 221222223224225 237>