Who's been saltwater fly fishing? Auckland

Page  <1 220221222223224 237>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2021 at 6:11pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yeah not even a sniff yesterday Adam, some big eagles but nada on the kingi front. Heading further afield tomorrow, see how that goes. 

You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 9:25am
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yip good plan Nick,

last summer was a sign of decline of numbers in that area, looking the same at mo,
use to be normal to see up to half a dozen fish at a time,
a good consistent NE pattern coming up that will bring bait in i think so ill leave it for  a while to see what happens.
I was up the upper harbour the other morning and bait and activity was very quite too,
what i did notice was how clean the sand was and clarity off water, positive side to droughty wheather.The developments up there have produced heaps off public walkways that are elevated around the shoreline, so frigging perfect for looking for activity, and massive rock retaining walls that are providing nice little ecosystems.

im off to Coromandel town tomoro, boat trip planned with cousie, and hopeing to get in some early morning low tide incoming wadeing sessions at some likely spots,

Hope everyone is enjoying the calm weather, Time out and no frigging Covid!

Happy New year to all,

By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 8:11pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

@Snuffit   Yo - that was myself- noticed you didnt hang around long! Spotted 2 rays  and some sprats. Lovely clean water and good current but not a sign of kingfish or even the usually reliable kahawai. Fourth visit like that since November- has the place been netted out?
The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 10:46pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I joined Will this morning on Kingfisher and we spent a fair few hours looking for kings.  No luck repeating his success from yesterday, unfortunately. Didn't really see anything and the weather was not really as forecast either Confused

We eventually ventured out toward Crusoe Island area and found a few kahawai schools on the surface over towards Motuihe.  Had a bit of fun chasing them around and had my first few fish for 2021 onboard. 

They were being a tad picky and to make it worse we had boats drive through the middle of the workup we were busy fishing to, putting them down on 3 occasions.  It's so frustrating when people do that and it happens all the time. They eventually became rather spooked and wouldn't really let us get close enough for a cast but by that time it was time to head home anyway.  

No video from this trip but I will go out and chase some snapper and kahawai soon and try to produce some good saltfly content again. Just haven't had great trips on the boat for some time but this summer is looking promising.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 1:37pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hmmm interesting, the other day in the work ups it looked like most boaties didn't care what was going on and ignored them (despite the birds covering the stretch from Motuihe right across to Waiheke). My boat is tiny so I can get onto a workup pretty easily with the 'Kota without scaring them - like that you can pick individual fish to cast to if conditions allow. But yeah, plenty times had ignoramus skippers drive through, even while I'm obviously playing a fish and its one of my perverse pleasures in life to take as many fish as I want while they troll hardware around without a touch.LOL

Glad you got a few.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 1:56pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Just returned from an early session on some Auckland flats no wakes and no ray riders but I did see plenty of rays and a couple of kingis, one swam up the side of the boat and spooked the other was free swimming and easy to see over the lighter sandy areas, had shots but no go, Both were swimming on the bottom. I spent most of the incoming tide sightseeing and surprised by the clarity of the water, definitely inspired to be looking for these things over trying to target them in work ups. Love this game
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 2:07pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Thanks Will. The fact that you saw them swimming on the bottom suggests that there are many situations in which a wading angler can't see the fish. There may be many flats out there with good kings on them, but were just not seeing them from the shore!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 2:08pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by wolfie5 wolfie5 wrote:

@Snuffit   Yo - that was myself- noticed you didnt hang around long! 

No, the way I figure it if there's a shore based angler there already I'll give them space, and its a popular spot so I tend to just call in if passing for a look.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 4:59pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

They where making themselves known this morning. no hook ups but tailing kingfish is about as good as it gets. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 8:14pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ooh exciting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 9:33pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Cool!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 1:40pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yesterday was in 2 minds, go for an evening fish or go out Sunday morning? I took the latter option. Bunch of very small snaps, and must’ve used up my kingi points because I had 2 reef me, completely smoked. Snotty little sthrly convinced me that an early return to shore was in order. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 4:35pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I got out early also this  morning got about 3 hours in before that southerly started screwing things up. Chased 3 wakes 2 shots and 1 follow. Also went to shallow on the outcoming and noticed the boat was moving any more, I managed to get out instantly and push it back of the sand back and the outgoing floated me out the rest of the way to safety, didn't fancy being stuck there till the next hide tide.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 7:47pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sounds like a close call, could have been a long wait Wink but you are finding the kings mate. Good work.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 10:33am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

oooheee Iv had that happen once before Will.   Was type 2 fun.

I was up in the Exmouth Gulf in WA.   I anchored the boat up in a deep pocket of water on the side of a small island while my mates fished. I did this on purpose as I knew the tide was falling rapidly. 

My mates spotted the boat floating, and though they would help out by pushing the bow up on the beach.Thumbs Down  Close to a 3ton boat, so we had to wait till the tide floated it again at about 2:30am.   

Was an extremely nerve-racking ride back to the beach launch as there was a big chop running and the GPS packed in half way back.  I had to navigate by stars and dead reckoning Confused   Amazingly I managed to get us all back safe. Cool
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 6:23am
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

haha Fraser yes I am finding it can all go tits up quickly in a boat.

I had a great morning out yesterday with Simon. we didn't hook up but we chased kings. We had a group of 3 come right up to the boat mulling over Simons fly but no takers. The wakes were out and easy to follow and or get ready for them to come back. We are learning more about what the fish are doing and getting better at getting shots to them. I had a lead right up to the boat as well and there was a split second there where the fish did a big kawoompf and we thought we had it but it must have missed the fly. This particular fish we had at least 10 separate shots at it over 10 mins, It seemed very angry to be honest and certainly showed us it was boss. 
At one stage we had a random drone circling the boat 30 feet away and had a bit of a laugh as we contemplated casting at it. We surmised that if we caught it we would iky stick it and throw it in the chiller.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 6:32am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Great conditions for spotting fish, tough conditions for getting a bite!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 8:01am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That's just heart stopping mate. That wake is so cool. You'll get another one soon.

Funny about the drone, it's actually illegal to fly over people without their permission and even if they weren't doing anything dangerous, just rather rude. Unfortunately they are the idiots who get more rules piled onto responsible drone users. End of rant LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 8:16am
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

yeah it was cool, we didn't get offended but we figured cause it was in casting distance we could have a fair shot Big smile 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 8:38am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Those fish have seen dozens of flies and lures. Will take something special to get an eat I suspect. The fish I’ve taken off that flat all needed more than one shot and quick fly changes...
Page  <1 220221222223224 237>