Who's been saltwater fly fishing? Auckland

Page  <1 217218219220221 237>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 8:35pm
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great video Johan! It popped up on my YouTube feed. Loving the high-res quality when watching it on my TV ๐Ÿ‘

I used to catch squid on fly back when I lived in Australia. I tied up some flys, on quite large barbless trebles (light gauge wire). Hard to explain, but basically tied one treble to the other to create almost a squid jig hooks effect, then just a few simple feathers to make it look like something edible. The squid used to love them!

I love a feed of squid!!!๐Ÿ˜‹
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 9:31am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks Fraser,

I'm trying my best to get better quality and more interesting content each time.

I will post my latest attempt at a squid fly in the fly tying section soon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 9:05pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

anyone? I was out again last weekend solo for first time. sighted some snappers and rays but caught nothing, was worth it just for the look. the Hauraki gulf certainly has a lot of opportunities for sight fishing, just need to refine my skills so I can start catching them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 10:03pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Got out for the dawn patrol on Sat morning on 3.4m high tide - flat calm and clear sky - and except for a couple of pesky eagle rays that followed me around - got no bites and saw no fishy activity at all in 3 hours wading. Quite a difference to being out on the reef a couple of weeks back.

The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 5:42am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

The easterlies were persistent and fairly unrelenting for nearly two weeks up here. There was no fishing going on of any sort. I even thought (briefly) about renewing my trout licence

Then- as luck would have it- the weather cleared and became perfect for the weekend. The BOI's was hammered. Boats everywhere with fish being caught all over. There are work-ups, spawning snaps, kingfish and baitfish. It all seems very early and a dramatic change from what we had. The easterlies of La Nina seem to have pushed everything along. I am figuring that these very same easterlies will stuff up the fishing for a lot of people up this way over summer. Which is good - it will give the fish a break.

I couldn't get out in the weekend but hoping to get out this week before it blows again on Saturday.

Not a lot of fish in shallow yet. I'll be using fast sink lines in forty metres and see if I can get a fly down.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 8:22am
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thx guys good reports. long weekend weather looking good in Auck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 8:22pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yeah Will I shot out Sunday morning. Into shallows (sub 1 m where glass boats fear to tread) and fished until the sun was in the sky. (Once itโ€™s brighter and half of Ak is on the water itโ€™s home time). Good pannies landed. Lost A good one that was taking line and nodding but I didnt get a good hook set and it pulled. Spent a bit looking for a king, nothing seen. 
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 7:56pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 12:05pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

nice holdersThumbs Up
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 7:07am
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Auckland East Coast Marine - Boating

Sea Temperature

17ยฐC

Issued: 3:46am Tue, 27 Oct 20

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 5:44pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

wow that temp rose so quick over the last 2 weeksThumbs Up 
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 6:33pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

18 is snapper time ... but hope 17 will get them starting to move in the right direction!
The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 11:43pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice rod holders Will and good to see those water temps go up!

It was a nice day and with the new bubs settled I had a midday excursion with a friend to a well-known Manukau harbour rock ledge.  It was a tough but fun day out.

Here is the video as usual.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 5:33am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Thanks Johan! It's been a very long time since I have been to that spot. It looks even more gnarly and hard to fish than I remember it! Lovely day though.

I would have probably fished hard in the incoming tidal current around the corner. Although probably no back cast space there I suppose. I find that a fast retrieve in a fast current works great for kahawai. It adds a lot of movement to the fly. I use clousers in that environment too as the dumbbell eyes give a bit more water resistance in the current.

Also that other ledge further in the bay with the other people on it has gurnard on the sand sometimes. I caught some very nice trevally along that coast back in the day.

And congratulations again on the new baby I'm surprised you were allowed out!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 8:57am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Haha thanks, this one seems to be behaving himself, at least for now so I will be using my opportunities while they last.  Thankfully my wife is very understanding.

I tried that fast current, the back casting isn't such a problem its more that the current rips so fast around that corner it keeps dragging the line into the rocks. Lost a fly and then got worried I might lose my fly line. It was a bit rough further around as well so didn't want to really venture further out.  

I am interested at fishing the beach on the other side an hour either side of low. It drops off rather deep and I have seen kahawai busting up there as well.  Have you tried much west coast beach fishing.  I am keen to give it a go this summer.  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nymphOmaniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 8:23pm
nymphOmaniac View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

So was out fishing yesterday and it was pretty quiet until i got slammed. Turned out I had a stingray on the end. I managed to land it but getting the hook out was a little tricky. Had to flip it then stand on the top of the tail to get the hook out. Just as well I use barbless hooks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 11:10pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Oh wow, you caught it in the mouth, not fowl hooked? Eagle ray or stingray?  They go really hard.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2020 at 7:58pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

An early morning trip tot the local reef produced a single snapper.  Great conditions and plenty of bait activity with the odd big bust which I feel strongly were kings or big snapper?

Otherwise pretty dead. Not a kahawai to be had and the snapper only finally came a short time before home.  Anyone else been out?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2020 at 7:59pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Oh and Wolfie was out too, I am sure he will report.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 5:47am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Nice Jofly You must have had better weather in Auckland than we had up here. Dawn was fishable, but the coast up here was stirred into mud soup and swell was still pumping. Then it blew 40kt that night .

Snapper will be in big-time after this stir up. There are lots of fish on the spawning grounds at the moment, but most of them are sitting below 15 metres. Fishing to the bottom with a fly rod in anything over that depth is so tricky that I've finally figured out I'm happiest in shallow water. Just waiting for the near shore conditions to come good. Soon...
Page  <1 217218219220221 237>