Who's been saltwater fly fishing? Auckland

Page  <1 197198199200201 237>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 4:43pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I see you have got the essential dripping fins in your shots!
The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troutzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 6:11pm
Troutzilla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

What a fatty!  Well done Craig, awesome fish!

Big ups to guide Wolfies as well...

Jeremy
It aint no use if it aint chartreuse!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 8:56pm
Platinum
Platinum

Guiding will be my next career move ... not!
The Auckland Swoffer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 4:28am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Thanks Jeremy. The guide actually couldn't come with me that day. Something about some funny thing called 'work' . I had my daughter's bloke Shane with me instead- he is Irish and has recently been bitten by the fishing bug. I thought I would mention it here as we did meet up with Jason Cochrane at the fishing spot (I.e. Jase might end up thinking Shane was Wolfie... if you get my drift...). Jason had just got back from the Aitutaki trip with Nick, AB and co. The fact that he was out at daybreak on an Auckland flat so soon after his tropical trip showed that he was very much a fellow sufferer of the disease

Anyway, Shane had a new conventional fishing rod to use (thanks to Bushkid at Rod and Reel) and was tossing around a popper. There were a couple of other kings there that day, but they weren't much interested in the popper. A half-hearted follow was all we managed to get out of them. Then ten minutes later one of the kings was standing on its head again and thrashing its tail in the air! All very bizarre Whatever these fish are feeding it appears that fly looks to be the best way to 'match the hatch.

Needless to say that Shane was quite flabbergasted by the whole event. I don't think they have large kingfish cruising the saltwater flats on the edge of Dublin!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 4:14pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Originally posted by wolfie5 wolfie5 wrote:

I see you have got the essential dripping fins in your shots!

Yeah, Reygeart taught me well

I also believe firmly that a fish is choking the minute you lift it from the water. So I kept dipping it back in and giving it a 'breather' while I got some pics.

Releasing fish is a good idea when you're poaching

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 9:12am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by FishMan FishMan wrote:

Needless to say that Shane was quite flabbergasted by the whole event. I don't think they have large kingfish cruising the saltwater flats on the edge of Dublin!

Ah iv seen this condition many times before.   We have had quite a few Irish lads join the local club.  All with spin rods and within a season the spin rods are collecting dust and many a fly rod has been purchased.  Just let Shane know that its probably best to sell the spin rod now and accept his fate! Wink

Besides he'd be a fool to not get to learn from someone like yourself.  Actually, are you sure he isn't dating your daughter just to get your inside knowledge?  Shocked
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 11:36am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

No, his fishing disease was caught after meeting the daughter. It must be highly contagious
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 8:52am
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

was out at first light sat morning at my favourite..,

A couple of fish around and moving fast around the flat actively hunting,
honing around with tails and fins out of the water,

acting real 'happy', after a couple of 'paddle stalks' and fly changes I got the most explosive eatfrom a serious fish[this could of been a PB,closeto 40lb, no lies]
but as soon as itbegan, it ended. leader bust at loop end.AngryOuchOuchEmbarrassedEmbarrassed.

iremember being all sidetracked the night before[drooling over my new Nucanoe], so rekon I put a weak spot or something in the loop .idiot.
ah well, getting the eats all good tho, gonna release him anyways!

then again could been the leader strength [20lb] and the strip strike shock was to much.but don't think so.
Murphys law, the one time ya don't test ya Knot, is the time  ya wish ya had!
hope someones out this morning, perfect conditions.
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 9:45am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ahhh bummer Adam. If I could've been out I know where I'd be, perfect am high tide and no wind Wink

Post surgery, so I'm fishing vicariously. And cleaning/maintaining reels. Got a new supply of neatfoot oil, so the cork drags are all getting a going over. Thumbs Up
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 11:19am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

That's no good Adam. Operator errors always hurt. But yeah, getting the eat is sometimes ninety per cent.

I wondered how 'your local' would be fishing this morning. Perfect conditions. I had a text report of a couple of kings smashing bait further 'inland'. A good morning to be out

Nick, pleased to hear you're in the recovery phase. It's going to be a very frustrating time with weather like this. Hope you don't get sick of tying flies!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 12:37pm
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Managed a PB snapper this morning 48cm on the new 6wt outfit.
Kept 1/2 doz and stuck some jewellery in about 10 others along with releasing 7 or 8 more.

Great morning

The 4 R's ~ Rods, Reels, Rifles, Rooting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 6:27pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great to be out fishing next to my buddy Graeme.
Landed a couple of Trevally - my first on fly - they have a a lot of power, speed and doggedness for a fish of their size- managed a 42 and 49cm amongst plenty of pannie snapper.
Good times.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 7:39pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by FISHBYFLY FISHBYFLY wrote:

was out at first light sat morning at my favourite..,

A couple of fish around and moving fast around the flat actively hunting,
honing around with tails and fins out of the water,

acting real 'happy', after a couple of 'paddle stalks' and fly changes I got the most explosive eatfrom a serious fish[this could of been a PB,closeto 40lb, no lies]
but as soon as itbegan, it ended. leader bust at loop end.AngryOuchOuchEmbarrassedEmbarrassed

hope someones out this morning, perfect conditions.

Gut wrenching stuff FBF- got a few similar  failures resurface in my mind as I read your account ... sadly not of similar size. Hopefully he's a resident and you may yet have another encounter soon.

Yes there were great conditions this morning -  as I got ready to go do the Round The Bays with family - good thing the tide was out so I wasnt peering over the sea wall every few minutes to check out the fish.
The Auckland Swoffer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 9:01pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Redfinger Redfinger wrote:

Great to be out fishing next to my buddy Graeme.
Landed a couple of Trevally - my first on fly - they have a a lot of power, speed and doggedness for a fish of their size- managed a 42 and 49cm amongst plenty of pannie snapper.

Nice one, mate. As I found out in the Far North, trevs are great to catch on light gear, and fantastic eating as sashimi or kokoda. 
You and Graeme are getting some great results on the anchored fly.
A kingie will sort you out!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 9:47pm
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Here's a video from today https://youtu.be/Mz_SppoOSSQ
The 4 R's ~ Rods, Reels, Rifles, Rooting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 5:23am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Good stuff guys. Gotta love the Kaipara

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fly_addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 3:03pm
fly_addict View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Got out this morning for a look around at dawn. Beautiful morning the water was clear AF with bait fish playing happily in the shallows, tried sitting and watching one area of the shallows for a while but nothing, then the SW picked up so I moved around to where the water was still glassy. Spent 3hrs watching the same bit of water I started to get stag fever and then I saw a V shape humming through the water my heart jumped out of my body but then a bloody shag popped his head up.

Saw another SWFFer out there on the point this morning too, would have made a nice photo with the sun behind him.

Geez! Fishing for these kings on foot around Auckland is hard work. Still waiting to land one on the flats this season. I’ve spent so many mornings patrolling estuaries and flats this summer, my misses must think I’m the worst fisherman ever haha. Oh well there could be worse ways to spend my mornings.

Might need to hit some marks so my reel doesn’t seize up on the 10wt lol.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 5:17pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Holy **** jealous, love catching trevs, there the best, never give up.
Nice snap to Grahme!

Fly addict, keep at it, ya gotta keep looking and piece together locations that hold kings and once that don't.

it takes a while.theres so many places that look ded set, but never produce, then others that look like 'maybes' and always produce.we can all theorise the **** out  that oneLOL
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 5:17am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Fly addict, Adam's on the money. There are certain places that work and ones that don't. Once you identify a good area then stick with it. It's a numbers game, but it's also worth hitting marker poles just for practice... these Auckland kings seem a little bit fussier than the Tauranga ray riders so it does pay to be well schooled in 'getting the eat'. I say that because I'm hearing about an awful number of fly refusals out there. People are finding the fish but not getting bit.

From my perspective I'm glad it's not easy

And if you were fishing where I think you were fishing yesterday the 'other' fly fisher in the distance had three kingies crashing around at his feet, but couldn't get a touch on a clouser!

How do I know??? I got spies everywhere, ha ha

Let's just say- if it was easy it wouldn't be such an exciting challenge   

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 6:00am
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by FishMan FishMan wrote:

Fly addict, Adam's on the money. There are certain places that work and ones that don't. Once you identify a good area then stick with it. It's a numbers game, but it's also worth hitting marker poles just for practice... these Auckland kings seem a little bit fussier than the Tauranga ray riders so it does pay to be well schooled in 'getting the eat'. I say that because I'm hearing about an awful number of fly refusals out there. People are finding the fish but not getting bit.

From my perspective I'm glad it's not easy

And if you were fishing where I think you were fishing yesterday the 'other' fly fisher in the distance had three kingies crashing around at his feet, but couldn't get a touch on a clouser!

How do I know??? I got spies everywhere, ha ha

Let's just say- if it was easy it wouldn't be such an exciting challenge   

Amen
The Auckland Swoffer
Page  <1 197198199200201 237>