Who's been saltwater fly fishing? Auckland

Page  <1 234235236237>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2022 at 9:15am
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yes true, I saw the gap on Friday and went for it. Completely different weather pattern to 2 years ago. I didn't even get on the flats this last season in Auckland as the winds were always wrong. Thank goodness we have other options out there (marker buoys). Counting the days till the water hits 18 again.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 5:25pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Good day out yesterday, Some nice little snappers in the fog and a few kahawai, was the working of a work up but never really got going where we were. Simon did spot a kingie in the there so spirits were high but no cigar. Simon did pull a couple of nice small trevally's on the incoming at Motuihe channel, floating intermediate with a spam and eggs in about 5 meters of water was a nice surprise. So good to be back on the water and seeing the seasonal fish activity start to increase. Appreciating the anchor lock on the minktoa.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 6:36am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Love the foggy mornings when the fog starts to lift. Bit of a pain getting to your destination though. I nearly drove into a big white cruise ship in the fog once

Pleased to see you're getting a few fish. Trevally and snapper starting to bite here, but it has been a swell (and flood) dominated winter. I'm hoping to go fishing tonight, but more rain forecast. Roll on spring!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 11:12am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

i was out saturday and managed a few small snapper in close around Rangitoto but nothing special - still taking the pink flies.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 9:56am
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Sea Temperature

15°

Shes on the up

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2022 at 3:49pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2022 at 6:56am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Matching the hatch. Hoped for surface trevs but found KY taking tiny bait on the surface. On close inspection you can see what the humble KY can do to a hook & dumbell eyes. Kook is sz 8 Sl11-3h gammie
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2022 at 9:36pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Love that top water action.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 8:00am
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Sea Temperature

17°

Issued: 4:00am Thu, 29 Sep 22

BRING IT OOOOOON

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 8:52am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Warmed up heaps with this Nth Easterly. Now, about this wind... Ouch
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2022 at 4:57pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Awesome day on the Hauraki gulf. I caught three kings and tagged 2 of them.
They appeared an hour after low tide and were frothing on the top for the fly.
I snapped my rod and one jumped out of the boat so it didn't get tagged but hey that's fishing.
Absolutely stoked to get my first kings for this season and even better to get 2 tags in.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2022 at 5:54pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2022 at 11:17pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Good work Will Apart from the rod break Been there done that!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2022 at 8:49pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Haha yeah only just repaired that rod after the last time Big smile this one came in a lot easier.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2022 at 5:32pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

It was absolutely nuts. We braved the rain and then Simon spotted a small work up of birds and we headed in, it wasn't kahawai it was kingis hundreds of them. Double hook ups double nettings, lines everywhere kingis everywhere. We spent 2 hours on anchor lock and landed 24 rats. It was mental and then the shark turned up yeeeeeeehah.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2022 at 6:12am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Rat kings seem have turned up in force right down the coast. I'm amazed how long yours stayed on the bite for. They'll figure it out soon. Those sharks will too.
Summer's here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2022 at 8:09am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

So good to see/hear. The last time I saw kingi schools in their masses both inside the harbour and out in the channels was the summer of 2015/2016. They were simply everywhere.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2022 at 1:01pm
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I saw a clip on FB I think it was - massive school of juvenile kings at a concrete wharf in AKL. Not sure where exactly, might have been the navy base in Devonport. Great to see
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2022 at 3:09pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I picked up another 6 today all at the same ball but all under 50 cms 4 on a bait fly and 2 on the popper. hopefully tmrw the forecast looks a bit flatter so trying to get some flats action, hoping for single bigger fish Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Monacoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 6:28pm
Monacoboy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey Guys!

Could anyone give some advices on where to find adult KY (not the spotted juvenile) from the shore please? Auckland based unfortunately^^
New to fly fishing (but certainly not to fishing) and Love those awesome fighters!

Cheers!
Page  <1 234235236237>