Who's been saltwater fly fishing? Auckland

Page  <1 232233234235236 237>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2021 at 11:32am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yeah nah, they fixed some things Fraser

Hopefully we'll hear more from the Auckland crew in the next few weeks... now that their parole has been granted

But Internet traffic is almost completely overshadowed by the Salt Fly Tauranga site on FB and all the great work that Dick Marquand and the whole crew have been doing down there. What a fishery! I have to content myself with some aggressive rats caught out of the boat. To be able to connect with bigger kings on wide open sandy flats from the shore is something very special. They are very lucky to have that harbour.

There'll be picket fences there very soon...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2021 at 3:17pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Merry Christmas guys, hey Fraser yeah that boat is rocking now Big smile, it is quite special at 4am in the morning watching the city lights and the sun come up with some decent beats going down. Next 3 days is ooooon, Haven't been out for a couple of weeks so hoping the kings are up on the flats now. stay tuned Auckland.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2021 at 2:43pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

What great Morning 2 hook ups and landed this one, the other one chained me on the buoy. Went to the flats and didn't see any tails or wakes. i did see a 8 foot bronze wailer though in .80 cms of water though, Amazingly it left no wake or disturbance as it swam 3 feet from the boat.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2021 at 4:36pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Excellent Will Stunning conditions and not another boat in sight.
They're probably all on the road to my place
I hooked up on a metre long fish hard against a pole two days ago. Drift was bad and I virtually ended up bumping into the pole. But a king appeared beside the boat and ate straight away. Had to do a very vertical trout strike to try and make a connection, but the fly fell out after only a short run. Probably just as well!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2021 at 4:52pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice stuff m8, Love this game.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2021 at 9:51pm
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Lads your making me so jealous! Iv been busy around the house doing maintenance, and tomorrow I can finally get out for a fish but the forecast is poo.

Loving the toons Will!
Living the life in Auckland bro.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 6:14pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I hooked 2 today on the marker buoys. the first one chained me and the second was by all means a decent sized kingfish until a 3 meter bronzie breached and did a pin dive on my fish. You can not buy this type of fun.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2021 at 11:49am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Hate it when that happens! I got eaten the other day too... never saw the shark and never saw the fish I hooked. Another favourite fly gone

Getting sharked seems to be all too common these days.

There was a triathlon swim planned directly across one of the local reefs that is notorious for getting sharked on. Luckily Covid stopped the race
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2021 at 11:41pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Today i hooked one and landed one. It was pretty rough but awesome to see those 2 kings rush out from the boy. Weather is packing in now but had an awesome week. Hooked 7 landed 4 lost 2 to marker chains and 1 to the shark. Using the same fly its proving to be a winner out there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 7:33pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Another epic morning out on the gulf. Those nods at the end look all to familiar.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 9:50pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Beautiful morning! I take it you have a resident bronzie on that buoy. It looks like it's enjoying itself. Bugger!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 7:54pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

yeah next time I have a little surprise lined up for that F$&^erLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 5:57pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Well that was a tough weekend . Great conditions for great fishing. hooked 6 kingis and lost all 6 on marker buoys. One I got clear but got me in to some kelp deep down and after 15 mins lost it. Big fish out there. nothing like watching those kingis bust out from the buoys and hook up on the strip. Did I say i love this game.Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 9:17pm
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Time to break out the 12# and show'em who's boss bro!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 9:29pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yeah, that's why I've largely given up on buoys and poles. Just too much grief And then there’s this rocky reef close by with current pouring over it. Given up on that spot too I'm running out of locations to fish

At least you are getting good eats Will. They must like your flies
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 12:17am
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

yes they love the flies, I do like the excitement to be honest. When you see the fish and its following and then the ripples turn into a wake its like a tidal wave on the fly its pretty cool. yes the 12 weight is coming out and got to concentrate on that buoy hook up exit. I deserved to loose a couple today as they were going the right way but due to bad minkota skills I got toasted.
I usually set a course and put it on autopilot which takes me away and deals with the current and wind but lately I have been forgetting to do this and  steering it manually with one hand and a kingi in the other in the current is like driving a unicycle on a ice rink.
Got to bring my A game. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 7:46pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

It was 50/50 today. We hooked 2 and landed 1.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 11:42am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yeah, can't say there has been a great influx of rat kings this year. And seeing even fewer 'big rats' around the legal limit. Starting to think they might have followed all the warm water south. Plenty of fry feeding kahawai about though and the skippies have shown up early.
I'm hoping that the wind and wet weather coming through now will turn the fishing on
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2022 at 12:34pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Got a couple of shots in this morning 2 hooked one landed

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushkid03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2022 at 3:05pm
Bushkid03 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Good work on the kings.
Also good to meet you at the ramp today William, would have liked to have chatted longer but 20month old kids wait for no one.
Page  <1 232233234235236 237>