Who's been saltwater fly fishing? Auckland

Page  <1 230231232233234 237>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Bushkid03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 11:33am
Bushkid03 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

We pulled up at the ramp just as you departed Will, I was thinking you were going to get well wet. Certainly the afternoon was a bone shaker but we have a hardtop.
We got a few snapper by attracting them to the rocks will tidbits of pilchards and sight casting with some more plus kahawai caught blind fishing.
Saw some promising Kingie sign in shallow but none came up for a sniff. That wind was a bitch, went out both days but more family than fishing trips.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 7:37pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sounds like a nice trip. Good to hear there is some king sign in the shallows. Will have to hit the city areas again soon. Have been distracted by the lure of an unexplored coastline and quiet ramp within easy range since everyone drives past or stops before. A bit of a pain to launch at with the shallow gradient but suits me fine in a westerly as long as there is little swell. I will be fishing a bit heavier after this trip. That snap nearly reefed me and I am sure there are much bigger models lurking.

Any reports of kings on Akl flats yet?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 12:41pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

BRING IT OOOON.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushkid03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 2:38pm
Bushkid03 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

We may head out tomorrow if weather, wife, kids and boat ramp traffic play their cards right.
I started bumping unto Kings regularly from mid November last year but mostly using conventional stuff unless you are into marker bouy kings. Snapper will soon vacate the shallows for a bit of love making out deeper.
Anchovy stuff for me kicked off well late January once they were a decent sized prey item.
Plenty of baitfish starting to show by my place up the Tamaki River so things are warming up and with this northerly blow it should be even better.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 8:41pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for the info, I'll probably head out later in the week. I had a ball last week on the outgoing tide with kahawai ambushing baitfish being pushed over a shallow reef by Crusoe Island.  Heaps of fun, had to drag myself away while they were still going.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 6:29pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

The kawahi where hungry today and definitely taken some vitamins. lockdown has sent them to another level. They were pulling hard. What fun fish to catch.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2021 at 3:46pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

What an awesome morning. heavy hitting kawahai and mystery fish eating kawahai.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2021 at 7:01pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Looks like a great day out mate. Did you see what ate that kahawai, would love to know what it was. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2021 at 7:12pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I,m thinking was a shark, it was just a heavy load on the line all of a sudden no head shaking just going one way, the other way Big smile, the leader was broken at the very end by the fly line.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2021 at 9:02pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Sounds like (and looked like) a big kingie hit to me. There's often a lot more rod movement with a shark hit and frequently some moments where there is just a dead weight and the 'thing' going very slow.

But, you'll never know
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 6:37am
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a Kingi. we had the same situation last year when we caught a kawahai and couldn't work out why it was swimming sideways until we realize it was in a kingis mouth. Its heating up out there . game on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 2:26pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I spent a good couple hours on the flats today, outgoing and incoming. Didn't see any kings yet but rays and the odd jumping baitfish so went and juiced up on more of them kawahais. Any day now

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2021 at 10:55am
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Been out twice on Meola with not a bite. Five swoffers on Saturday and onr hooked a kahawai that tossed the fly on first jump. One session at pt chev was fishless, also east tamaki not a sign of fish. Water has been pretty good clarity despite rain. Looks like some berley on the next outing!!
The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2021 at 9:50pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That water temp is looking good Will. Hopefully the kings will start play along soon. Mark, no idea what is going on with meola. All of my last few outings there were blanks even when it looked really good. I will try to give some upper harbour spots a go on the boat when I get a chance to see if there is anything about. Back to normal full time work now so back to busy weekend fishing again Cry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2021 at 1:27pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Jofly Jofly wrote:

That water temp is looking good Will. Hopefully the kings will start play along soon. Mark, no idea what is going on with meola. All of my last few outings there were blanks even when it looked really good. I will try to give some upper harbour spots a go on the boat when I get a chance to see if there is anything about. Back to normal full time work now so back to busy weekend fishing again Cry

Work is over rated - but it does pay the bills. I guess this means less of your excellent videos, I did enjoy your hit outs on P. Lake, it can be a fickle place.Thumbs Up
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2021 at 8:48pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Unfortunately it probably does mean less but I'll try to make even more effort when I do make them. So hopefully quality over quantity. Planning to hit the only Akl trickle this weekend so might have a below average mudfish video to share next week. What else to do in Lockdown California Confused. If I can I will sneak out on the upper harbour and see what lurks in the mangroves as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2021 at 8:49pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Unfortunately it probably does mean less but I'll try to make even more effort when I do make them. So hopefully quality over quantity. Planning to hit the only Akl trickle this weekend so might have a below average mudfish video to share next week. What else to do in Lockdown California Confused. If I can I will sneak out on the upper harbour and see what lurks in the mangroves as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2021 at 6:45pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I got out today thinking it was going to be mint, it wasn't . hard day but got a couple of snapper  a kawahai, saw first kings on Auckland flats, dolphins and a seal so all in all not a bad day out on the water in Auckland. Sunday looking good for some flats kings.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 8:00pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sounds pretty good, much better than my day trying to find trout in an Auckland drain and drowning my gopro CryShould have gone out on the boat today, looked nice out there.

Good to hear there are some kings on the flats too. Did you go out today?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 8:22pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

yes just got back in, spent hours waiting for the wind to turn and the incoming tide but it only just started flattening out as I left, never saw anything but  theres a great weather gap in the somewhere :). out first light tmrw. 
Page  <1 230231232233234 237>