Who's been saltwater fly fishing? Auckland

Page  <1 228229230231232 237>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nymphOmaniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 8:49pm
nymphOmaniac View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I was out a few weeks back and my favourite spot already had bait fishos. I was actually surprised how many were out. So I couldn't get to my spot. one guy caught 7 kahawai but I couldn't slow my fly enough as I kept getting caught on rocks.
Might try again in spring
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 1:44pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just to remind y'all there are fish to be caught out there in winter. Meola reef is the place to be.ย 
Parore are back and biting on slowly retrieved clousers and decent sized kahawai.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2021 at 6:44pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Spent the morning on the local with a friend.  Tides, time, work weather and family all aligned.  We were fishing from 6am until 10am and what a fantastic session.  My friend cleaned up with heaps of kahawai, 3 snapper (biggest 33cm),2 Parore (42cm and 44cm) and even a small trev.

I did not come close to his numbers but still landed 4 kahawai (biggest 44cm), a Parore of 42cm and a Snapper +-30cm and dropped a few fish.

If you wonder why all the measurements we are eyeing up the annual club saltfly trophy. It's a species length thing.

Anyway, if you can catch the conditions right the fishing can be pretty darn good in winter it seems.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2021 at 8:36pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Excellent Great fishing! That parore is a good fish

Winter going well here, plenty of big kahawai around and the trevally are starting to fire at my sandy spot. But fishing days are limited. Either it's big swell, flood water, wild winds or freezing temps. Winter sure has been interesting.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2021 at 10:23pm
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nothing like a good winter session when the fish are firing!

Looks like a fantastic day at the local! Might have to head down there myself sometime soon.

Not looking good this weekend
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2021 at 1:31pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Fat azz Parore. Nice fishing m8.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Bushkid03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 1:11pm
Bushkid03 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I went for a fish around my current favourite Island in Auckland yesterday. I fished real shallow amongst the reefy outcrops casting into any gutters or places of interest.   
Using a fairly heavy clouser which I call a Soggy Possum due to the main material used. I cast in to a spot, get the line tight , straight and expect the hit on the sink. I seldom retrieve more than a couple of meters before recasting. This is done from a drifting boat without an electric motor, its a small hardtop which with a bit of luck and practice I can almost sail it around the shoreline.
Plenty caught yesterday with a couple kept for a feed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 4:43pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That is a beautiful kelpie well done ๐Ÿ‘
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 7:00pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Oh that's a stunning fish, like the soggy possum fly.  My boat trailer is finally warranted again and getting things sorted to get on the water soon, will have to go hunt around that area too. My last session on the local might have inspired me to brave the wet and cold LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Bushkid03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 7:04pm
Bushkid03 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Muppet, its a nice sized fish but the below is a real nice sized fish. This fish was sight fish with the help of a couple of pilchard chunks and a lot of patience. The angler is WeeMan Dan's 13 year old son. I cropped his head partially out as I haven't asked Dan about posting the image here.
Caugh very close to Auckland CBD and released to go another round.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 8:52pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Some solid Auckland pannies there Love those kelp colours
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 8:59pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Bushkid03 Bushkid03 wrote:

Thanks Muppet, its a nice sized fish but the below is a real nice sized fish. This fish was sight fish with the help of a couple of pilchard chunks and a lot of patience. The angler is WeeMan Dan's 13 year old son. I cropped his head partially out as I haven't asked Dan about posting the image here.
Caugh very close to Auckland CBD and released to go another round.

Yikes thatโ€™s a proper one! Well done to that lad
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2021 at 5:23am
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

M8 that's a whole bbq right there. What an awesome catch.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2021 at 11:31am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Wow wow and double wow! Holly hell a fish like that, off the rocks & on fly? Give that lad a gold medal๐Ÿ˜Š (I'd say, buy him a beer, but maybe a little young ๐Ÿ˜)

I'd be over the moon to land a fish half that size off the rocks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2021 at 10:21am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Has anyone braved the west coast surf chasing kahawai on fly yet?  I was thinking low tide combined with an offshore wind and small swell might make it a worthwhile option?  Also thinking that bay at Whatipu at low tide might be the go as it has less swell and a nice deep drop-off.  Trevally maybe as wel?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2021 at 8:58pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Johan, I fished that area many years ago. There was some great trevally fishing in spring. Big kahawai are frequently caught too and kings in summer are a feature of the location. However, it was already becoming too popular for my liking way back then (thirty years ago) and then it became dangerous to leave your car unattended in the car park. I never went back.

I understand that now there is such a constant flow of people coming and going that the carpark is safer, but sorry, I can't update you on the fishing. I'm sure there'll still be fish there, but you're probably sharing the best spots with a bunch of other people.

Sorry I can't be of anymore help.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2021 at 9:35pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That beach between Paratutai and Nine Pin  used to be great for big trevs. My favourite rig  was light 10ft solid glass metal ferrule two piece killwell spindrift rod, paired with a dam quick medium size reel and spooled with 15 lb mainline with 3 ounce ball sinker free running on mainline. Hook was galv 3/0 Kirby on shortish 10 kg trace baited with piece of squid. Caught alot of big trevs there. Great scraps. Used to take a while to get in.  Ideal habitat for them and usually calm except for occasional short dumping wave on shore line, but I  would be cautious if wading too far in. Seemed pretty deep straight off there. And not far away from a very fierce current. Great place to fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2021 at 9:39pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

august through to spring was also best time for trevs, especially cold clear frosty mornings till about 11 am.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 7:51pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Awesome, thanks for the info. Looks like I have some exploring to do. And Craig I have not heard of any issues in the carpark and as long as you can go during the week the hordes are not to be seen. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 5:23am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Anyone heading out in level 3? Also good to see a new look. Hopefully some of the forum login issues sorted?
Page  <1 228229230231232 237>