Who's been saltwater fly fishing? Auckland

Page  <1 227228229230231 237>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 9:20am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thank god for wet weather clothing Will!  Dam that boat looks like a sweet ride.

I shot out for the final day of the season down here for trout.   Weather was pretty similar to what you had there Will, only it was hovering around 6c.  Banked 4 and had a few shots at some trophy fish, but they weren't moving for anything.  Probably on the no-eat phase prior to spawning. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 6:25pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Smashing the pink flies today

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 7:42am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice man, getting into the snaps now. Great.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote queenfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 11:51am
queenfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Wow it took me a long while to get into the forum again all I could see 
was the earlier posts, I missed lots of great posts to ask and contribute Long story short I am in again.
I saw lots of great fly tying, all bit different from the one we tie here.
Specially the parore[spelling] here we call them luderick.
If you don't use weed looking fly there is no chance of catching one.
There was an article about craft fur, I love them 90% of my flies are cruft fur, I have cruft fur that are long enough to make a long fly.
Bought them from spotlight Kmart as bathroom rugs and $2 dollar shops.
I will try to include the fly picture if I can work it out how.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 5:07pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yep Vince, I love craft fur flies It can be a tangling bastard material, but it has such natural movement in the water I just put up with that. A good blob of glue in the right places helps a lot, but if the fly gets a serious tangle I now just cut it off and tie another one on. Much quicker than trying to comb out tangled fur
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 7:17pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Glad you are back, you are based on the gold coast if I remember correctly from previous posts?  My brother is now based there so I might be over at some stage by the end of the year. Might PM you for some tips if you don't mind.

I don't know how you gents can stand craft fur. I can't stand the tangling.  Rabbit, marabou and SF blend for me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 8:10am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Finn Racoon for me. No straight ends, less is more and moves much nicer in the water to my eye. Pricey though. Depending on where you get it, hair length can be shorter e.g https://www.untamedfliesandtackle.com.au/store/p156/Tanuki_Finn_Raccoon_pelt.html or longer e.g. https://www.caddisflyshop.com/wapsi-finn-raccoon.html

You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 10:53pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Originally posted by Jofly Jofly wrote:

Glad you are back, you are based on the gold coast if I remember correctly from previous posts?  My brother is now based there so I might be over at some stage by the end of the year. Might PM you for some tips if you don't mind.

I don't know how you gents can stand craft fur. I can't stand the tangling.  Rabbit, marabou and SF blend for me.

Johan, Vince is having login issues again. I gave him the instructions on how to fix it, but we might not see him back if he can't get it sorted. These bloody login issues still threaten to kill the forum completely
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 11:05pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Snuffit. Snuffit. wrote:

Finn Racoon for me. No straight ends, less is more and moves much nicer in the water to my eye. Pricey though. Depending on where you get it, hair length can be shorter e.g https://www.untamedfliesandtackle.com.au/store/p156/Tanuki_Finn_Raccoon_pelt.html or longer e.g. https://www.caddisflyshop.com/wapsi-finn-raccoon.html

Looks good, would either of these work the same or similar? Might have to give it a try at some point.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 11:05pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

[/QUOTE]

Johan, Vince is having login issues again. I gave him the instructions on how to fix it, but we might not see him back if he can't get it sorted. These bloody login issues still threaten to kill the forum completely [/QUOTE]

That is a real shame, hope it gets sorted.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote queenfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 9:26am
queenfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Heyyyy I am in again.Clap
Craig I did every thing you said didn't work,
registered twice didn't work, then kept changing things around some how it work, don't ask me what I did haven't got a clue.
Hope it will work the next time.

Now about cruft fur, I don't get much tangles some times the tail goes under the shank, it happens with other materials as well, easily pulled off.
that second grey fly next to the clouser, I fished it yesterday, after some 10 small queenfish and 2 trevallythere was some damage to the fur eyes were missing, but it was still fishable.

Jofly when you come here I can do better than advice, I can take you fishing if I am around, I go away a lot.
Like I am going to Twizel {spelling] NZ around the end of year not set a date yet, to try the canals for that big salmons and browns you got there.
Let me know don't expect fishing will be good, I haven't seen a kingfish or GT for 4 years now, some thing is wrong some where.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 3:34pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Good work there Vince for getting back in Even if you don't know how it happened

Very generous offer of yours to Johan. It looks like I got lucky on my brief fishing visit to GC. Aside from our GT luck though we did find the rest of the fishing difficult. But it's surprising there is anything going on there at all when you consider the small size and shallowness of the GC estuary system and the number of people living around it. It really is urban fishing of the most intensley fished kind. I think having a bunch of species that don't really want to bite helps a lot. Especially those bloody bream!

Anyway, good luck at the canals You might be standing shoulder to shoulder with a thousand other Aussies by the time the end of the year swings around
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 8:38pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks Vince, that is indeed very generous.  I'll keep in touch when I have some plans in place.

I am a fan of bream. Have caught both the east coast and west coast varieties on fly and enjoy the challenge.  Flathead are fun too and I hear they get big out east.  Would also like to get some decent whiting on fly at some point.

In the meant time I need to get out on the local reef. The trevs and parore are around again. Going to try and get out this coming week.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote queenfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 8:13am
queenfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Craig when I saw fish of the day program there was hardly any one,
I hate crowd, I liked the place easy fishing for old guys like me.
About bream most frustrating I caught more by catch on 2/0 hooks fishing for tarpon.

Jofly I have caught lots of different fish on fly including tod fish but none whiting, to be fair I don't fish much for them, lure fisherman catch them on poppers.
I saw in the fly section once some one made a fly with clear pen,
they do that in poppers here and catch whiting on the surface.

Had the same trouble logging, now I know.
Craig like you said go incognito, but had to register incognito. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 12:58pm
Platinum
Platinum

Well, it's never been like me to do things the normal way, but me and my wife just booked to fly up to Waiheke for a week. I know winter isn't the right time to fish it, but what the hey.

Will be on the island from 9th July till 15th. If anyone wants to catch up I'd love to 🤗 even if it's just for a beer. Completely understand if no one wants to head over to the island in the middle of winter, but thought I'd throw it out there!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 12:55pm
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

No one. 
No one's been fly fishing! I miss the updates from this thread. 

Is SWF in winter just not worth it? Or have conditions been unsuitable? 

I caught some KY in close at Mangawhai estuary recently, trolling this BIC pen slowly behind my Kayak. Not fly fishing it all.. but I imagine it would cast well enough with a fly rod.. LOL 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 8:45pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

The small amount of winter fly fishing I've been doing has all been relatively productive. There have been some nice sized kahawai off the beach and some good snapper around the rocks. But man, the weather has been crap. The weather windows come and go quickly and the swells have been big all winter. Had another flood yesterday too, just in case we'd forgotten what rain was. A bit like the Northland I remember as a boy actually But I'm not complaining... the days are getting longer after all!

That's a nice looking pen fly too kingaling I've heard they work well.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 10:05pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Weather = Wet + Cold + Wind

That's my reason pretty much. I'm what you call a fair weather fisherman Embarrassed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2021 at 8:19am
Platinum
Platinum

Iv been over on Waiheke this week on holiday. I have to say iv not found the weather cold at all. Cool, but not cold.

I fished with Matt the other day, and he did say that the kingfish tend to move away from the shallows into deeper water at this time of year. That being said, we had a pack of kingfish smashing bait on the beach next to the ferry 😳. Unfortunately I got a cast into the spot about 15 seconds too late 😖

I feel that there is a strong chance of some outstanding fishing to be had at this time of year, but few people are prepared to head out when it's not so warm. Pull a jacket on and head out crew!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 3:59pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

As far as parore are concerned I have never caught one on a weed fly but have caught a few on brown or yellow coloured prawn clousers crawled slowly along the bottom. Latest parore was a few weeks ago at Meola reef as the winter fish have now arrived. Also got a nice kahawai on the same fly dead drifted along the edge of a seaweed patch in a channel.
The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Page  <1 227228229230231 237>