Who's been saltwater fly fishing? Auckland

Page  <1 226227228229230 237>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 7:49pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by FishMan FishMan wrote:

This sounds interesting Hope the weather holds and you get more shots. It will be quite a revelation if you get a much more positive response to a crab or flounder fly. Looking forward to an update

did you ever throw any of those flounder flies you made back in 2019 to Kingi,s ? any luck?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 8:05pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

No, I need to get out of the BOI's more in order to find kingfish swimming on flats and doing different things, like eating flounder. In fact I've recently realised that I should be concentrating on the best fly fishing aspects of the BOI's rather than worrying about the few shallow water kings we have here. There are lots of deepwater kings in the BOI's, just not that many in real shallow environments. But we have skippies and krill feeding trevally and large blue koheru and giant snapper etc etc. I haven't got much to complain about

Wolfie got a king on a crab fly at your spot. Yet another one of Wolfie's crazy captures If you can do the same it will prove that these kings really are very very selective.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 8:33pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Snuffit. Snuffit. wrote:

OMG it’s Gen III Wolfie. 😮

Dunno about Gen iii Wolfie but have a Gen II Hatch reel ...
The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 7:07pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Got a shot at a free swimming king on a local flat. I was wading and he was comming straight at me which was not an ideal scenario. If i had a clouser pattern i would have dropped it ahead and let it sink to the bottom and would give it a twitch when fish was close by. Unfortunately had a conventional streamer on which reckoned would snag if left on the bottom so cast it a metre to the right of the fish's path did a fast double hand retrieve. No response and the wake ceased and then reappeared a few seconds later heading away ... that was game over. Didn't see another wake for next five hours.
The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 1:40pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Bad luck there m8, i had 3 wakes this morning from the boat tried half a dozen flys and no go. We will not submit. I like the double hand retrieve and been trying it lately, It does represent a swimming fish better than the jerky single, so good to have some options.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 4:08pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Are these resident fish? It's starting to sound like they're the worst sort of educated kingfish. I wonder if there is any regular replacement by new uneducated fish?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 4:25pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hmmm I couldn't say the wakes all appear to have their own signature and wouldn't say I've seen the same one over and over by wakes alone. Do these things even have the ability to remember?.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 9:29pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

All I know is that the well hammered spots in the BOI's have very hard to catch kingfish. You'd think they'd learn about spearos though
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 6:23pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by FishMan FishMan wrote:

All I know is that the well hammered spots in the BOI's have very hard to catch kingfish. You'd think they'd learn about spearos though

You have to survive to learn, this is the problem us fly fishers create for ourselves LOLLOLLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 5:51pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I threw my biggest most offensive fly and had the best reaction ive had in a while, he almost took it. Maybe he was just going WTF. Tomorrow we do battle again.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 6:56pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well, it's the start of squid season now and there are already plenty around so that might be why.  Tight lines mate, go get em.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 11:27am
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 5:30pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Were they good sized and did you get any snaps below?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2021 at 5:30am
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

No snaps m8 this lot drifted off pretty quick, ,My first Auckland flats season has been a great learning experience , interesting to see the changes in the fishes moods and actions through the months.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 9:05am
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

The flats blew out pretty quick yesterday so we opted for some snappers in shallow water, They sure bite hard those fellas and fairly decent sizes too.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 11:15am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Very nice Yep, the snaps hit hard. I'm hoping to venture out on some rocks this afternoon. Conditions are looking good after that little storm last night
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 6:49pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice, snap that. Always fun in the shallows
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 2:43pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Got a nice lull in-between storms today.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 4:26pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Very nice Will The giant swell finally died enough yesterday to allow me to get at some kahawai in a beach corner. Full of enthusiasm I went back the next morning only to be nearly blown over by 45 knot winds. Gotta love winter!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 5:21pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

True that, the ride home

Page  <1 226227228229230 237>