Who's been saltwater fly fishing? Auckland

Page  <1 216217218219220 237>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 3:55pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Still some parore around. My only fish for today and biggest parore to date ar 39cm.

For mystery sake it took a white marabou fly with rubber legs in size #2 more intended to see if I could get a snapper.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 5:38pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Nice fish! Great colours too.

Obviously a spawner with that big rounded belly.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 9:49pm
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Finally got out for a fish and managed to stretch the fly line as well as some dirty old bait

YouTube video here
The 4 R's ~ Rods, Reels, Rifles, Rooting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 4:17am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Looks like you had a great day out.  Loved the shot of the baby kahawai at the start.

I went out from Takapuna yesterday.  Started about 06:30. Tried a couple of channel markers briefly with no takers.  Then moved off toward A-buoy. 

Plenty of shearwaters around and some brief kahawai bust ups north or Rangitoto close to A-bouy.  Should have stayed there and waited to see what would happen but had a big harbour tour instead with the nice weather.  

Stopped in a sheltered bay at the northern end of Motutapu and tried my hand at shallow snapper. No luck, so continued on and circumnavigated both islands. Not much happening on the surface and the SSW messed up the shore a bit. I headed back to where I started near Rangi lighthouse hoping that the workups would now be in full motion. No such luck,  instead the birds and kahawai had all vanished.

In desperation I shot over to the East Coast bays and fished the shallows for snapper just off the Murray's bay cliffs.  Was lovely calm and clear. I could see the bottom clearly up to 4m with great reefy kelp and sand patches spread around over a large area.  Hooked and lost 1 fish, which I was certain was a snapper, before I had to head back to be out by lunch time.

It was mostly an early season explore, so I was not fishing particularly seriously and ended up spending most of the morning wasting fuel and looking at the nice scenery.

Anyone else been out?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 6:01am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Kaipara looking nice outdoorman You can have the bloody seal They really put fish off the bite.

I'm out in the BOI's today for the morning weather window. Shallow water is very quiet so I'm heading deep. Flyrods are packed but I've got one rigged for some unconventional deepwater fly fishing. It should be an interesting experiment I also have bait and softbaits onboard as there doesn't seem to be anything much above thirty metres of water. Such is winter. First good northerly blow will change things dramatically.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 7:20am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm interested to hear about your unconventional deepwater plan.  I want to fish the spring workups here when they get a bit closer to shore, which should be soon and that tends to be in 25 to 40m.  I don't think I need to get down that far though if I get reasonably close to the action? I don't really mind what I catch kahawai, kings or snapper.  They must come up at least to as deep as the gannets dive?

I have been using a diy sinking shooting head made for me by Fishingmad1.  It's 1 colour of lead core line sleekly spliced to a braided hollow-core running line. It casts ok on anything from an 8wt up but I tend to use it most on my 10wt.  You just need to slow down your casting and only do 1 false cast. Then it goes miles and I easily fish up to 15m deep if the drift is not too quick.  It's been really good for snapper and even had a decent king on it while drifting.

Yesterday I tested an OPST sink tip on a floating line and that worked well for around 4 to 6m to get me down. It was a 96 grain 6ips tip.  I will try the 130grain 9ips tip and see if I can get down to 10m.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 10:42am
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by FishMan FishMan wrote:

I also have bait and softbaits onboard as there doesn't seem to be anything much above thirty metres of water. Such is winter.

Surprised you haven't got in to the skutes Fishman, I've had a lot of fun tying up different patterns to fish off my kayak. Catching gurnard, KY, snapper, kings, rig shark and what I think might have been a bronzie. I don't really use softbaits anymore, and haven't used bait in a couple years. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tuAsaajEy2AsC4SD9 ;

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 2:10pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yep, I tie a few skutes and throw an occasional softbait, but it's easy to get into an arm tangle and not achieve much at all when you start swapping rods too much.

The deeper stuff on fly is a real challenge. Unfortunately I don't have too many answers for it. I will fish down to twenty metres for fish that are schooling at thirty, but that's about my absolute limit. Tried extra weight on the fly today but didn't really like the result. Possibly the only answer is stay shallow.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 4:07pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I will let you know how I get on if I get to any of these spring workups.  Did you get much today?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 4:24pm
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by FishMan FishMan wrote:

Y Unfortunately I don't have too many answers for it.

how about a 3 Oz ball sinker as a strike indicator LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 4:40pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Blown out of where I wanted to go today. Morning weather window didn't really happen. Retreated to a sheltered cove and berleyed up one kahawai. Sea cold at 13.6 degrees and no sign of life anywhere. Might hit the wharf tonight
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 10:43am
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

First real day out fishing on Kingfisher yesterday. Was out with Simon. We found some nice sheltered spots in the gulf and started catching some nice little fish once targeting potential holding spots close to the  shore. The minkota allowed us to spot lock 80 -100 feet from the shore and start targeting in shore fish. One particular spot pulled out three species snapper, parore and kahwai, well done Simon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 3:57pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Good effort in that cold early spring water Those Auckland parore are obviously totally bonkers.

Some northerly and easterly winds forecast for the week of the 20th. Should warm the sea up a bit.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 6:23pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

First cast in a new spot off east coast bays fishing back into a reef - 40cm trevally caught on a pink white clouser  - also 3-4 snapper to 30cm before al berley was gone. I had been out wider on worm beds - plenty pannie snapper in 20m , didnt try fly rod there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 9:19pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Looking good
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 8:20am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That's a nice trev.  Good to know they are there.  I like that stretch of the East Coast bays.  Went in real close the other day and hooked one over the weeds.  I'm learning more about the shallow stuff and finding fish where I didn't look before.  

Note:  I am also spending hours casting at nothing Confusedbut I guess that's how you learn where they are and aren't.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 12:44pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

This is what I got up to yesterday.  Going to try and actually target them some time.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 2:22pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

V cool Thumbs Up
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 4:19pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Ha ha. Never get caught without a squid jig
Nice underwater shots!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 5:56pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice Trev!Thumbs Up

By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Page  <1 216217218219220 237>