Who's been saltwater fly fishing? Auckland

Page  <1 214215216217218 237>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote queenfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 7:50pm
queenfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Jofly Jofly wrote:

I went out in yesterday morning's weather gap. That's all I will say and await the comments Confused

I couldn't watch your video now, but as soon as the pc is fixed I can't wait.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 8:38pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Brief report. Did a quick trip out over low tide today to our local inner harbour reef with the boat. I broke my streak of blanks with a mid size kahawai and a panny snapper.  I'll post a photo at some stage and there will be video in a week or so.

As I was going closer to the reef I spooked a huge school of Parore over some shallow seagrass areas (the water was rather clear today) and there were also large schools of grey mullet swimming and jumping about at the end of the reef near the main channel.  Spawning perhaps?

Was a nice day out and much warmer today. I went in shorts with just a jacket.  Just need to get the last few cold snaps out of the way. Bring on spring.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 2:48pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Here is the video from the trip report above.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 3:11pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great all round effort there  - well done
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 8:15pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

First casts are best casts And that weather is stunning. We had solid grey skies all day in the north with a cold wind
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 8:46am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It's turned grey and rainy here today as well. But yesterday some magic happened.

Two new species on fly, Parore and Trevally and 4 species total (+snapper and kahawai). Plus good numbers too.

It was a stunner Auckland evening. No video for this one though.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 9:13am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Good stuff! Well done on the trevally and parore and well done on the species count!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 9:38am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

well that is very very good - you still in the harbour?
Jealous as but you deserve that after efforts you consistently put in.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 10:31am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Redfinger Redfinger wrote:

well that is very very good - you still in the harbour?
Jealous as but you deserve that after efforts you consistently put in.

I had some help from someone that knows their stuff and has put in many, many hours.  I didn't know it could be this good in winter and it's not my spot so I won't divulge any more Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 5:29pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice One!
Good EffortThumbs Up
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 1:02pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

@jofly - so you were fishing after sunset? Using any lumo flies?
The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 8:16pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We started late afternoon and bites continued on the same standard flies untill about 30mins after dark and then tapered off. We did leave more because we were out of time rather than them not biting as such. We both still had takes up to when we left.
We did debate taking lumo flies in future to see if it would make a difference after dark like some do for trout.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cgreene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 8:53am
cgreene View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Im planning on going there this weekend. I recently bought a new fishing backpack and Ive been wanting to use them since they arrived yesterday. Ive noticed that it can fit in more items than my old backpack. If anyone is looking to buy a fishing backpack, you should find more information here.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 4:40pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well level 3 and fine weather made for a busy fly fishing weekend on the local in Auckland.  I managed to get out Friday morning, Saterday morning briefly with my son and again today.  Swoffers a plenty over the weekend days along with bait fishos etc out in force.

Friday went well, Saterday was a dud as my son got cold pretty quick so we headed off after about 20mins and today started really slow but then once the fog lifted and things heated up had a short spell of very good luck.

A rather surprising amount of Parore landed this weekend by all accounts and the usual kahawai near absent.  Thanksfully I manged to land a few trevs as well.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 5:24pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Good stuff! Trevs are great and all those parore look like fat ones
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2020 at 8:38am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yes, the Parore have been fairly big and the big ones fight pretty hard, even on an 8wt.  Simon caught a 40cm one on Saturday.

Almost everyone who fishes the area noted that there are a lot of Parore lately and some have not caught them ever before. Saturday and yesterday Parore were pretty much all the fish that were hooked apart from the trevally.  The usual kahawai were absent. Not one hooked or seen yesterday.  

Is it a time of year thing?  The parore seem to be pretty keen on flies, even ones that have no resemblance to weeds.  Yesteday I caught most of mine on a small size 8 shrimpy bonefish fly with big red dumbbell eyes. They would take it on the drop or when stopped between short strips.  Takes were fairly aggressive.  Seems odd for a weed eating fish or are the normally opportunistic?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2020 at 12:16pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I got my largest parore on a snapper fly, range body, big yellow lead eyes, orange legs sticking out. I thought the fish simply had an identity crises Cool
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2020 at 2:06pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

It sounds like a spawning event. They're hungry for protein. They always like flies with a bit of red and pink in them too.

I thought they spawned in May, but some literature I just found suggests a late winter/early spring spawning season in similar latitudes in Australia. It also said they come out of the estuaries to spawn at the estuary mouth.

So basically- all those parore that inhabit the large mangrove systems in the upper reaches of the western Waitemata have descended down to this popular fly fishing reef in order to spawn.

Just watch out for the bloody netters Maybe take a grapnel with you for any illegal nets!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2020 at 3:57pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah I gather netting is a problem, a stranded net was removed on the weekend. 

If you read this, gentleman on your paddle-board who came over just to pick the rubbish net up and take it away, you are fantastic!

I will be fishing the area fairly regularly from now on so it will be interesting to see what changes when the snapper turn up again. And good to know about the red and pink.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2020 at 7:33pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Snuffit. Snuffit. wrote:

I got my largest parore on a snapper fly, range body, big yellow lead eyes, orange legs sticking out. I thought the fish simply had an identity crises Cool
Maybe "alter ego" than identity crisis as sometimes they are called black snapper ...😎
The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Page  <1 214215216217218 237>