Who's been saltwater fly fishing? Auckland

Page  <1 213214215216217 237>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 2:19pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Nice bigeye trev Vince I found them quite difficult to get to bite when I visited the GC. Your tips would have helped.

I checked out the local diving photos to get an idea of what was common in the Seaway- sure enough, heaps and heaps of bigeyes, but I was pretty bad at catching them
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 8:28pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Awesome fish, hope I can just get one of our trevs half that size. 

I didn't get out today in the end. When I tried I realized the boat trailer didn't have a WOF as it finished during lock-down and I never checked it again till today. So went to get the warrant and it failed for the wheel bearings. $300+ later and the whole day wasted the boat is now parked in the garage with a valid WOF Cry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote queenfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 8:57pm
queenfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Craig it doesn't happen all the time.
But when you go fishing every day like I used too, you are bound to be lucky some times.

Jofly 
Bloody trailers always something with them. 
I don't submerge mine in the water, Just the rubber tires get wet,
always keep changing lights and switches.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 11:43pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Got out Saturday morning , in the rain and overcast, and decided to give the Manukau a go on the ebbing tide. Water was clear and calm but no fishy action was forthcoming. Chance meet up with Alan Bulmer led to a concerted lashing of the best spots but no fish hooked between us. So that meant a bit of photo practise time for me while Alan continued fishing. 

And he will be doing a talk/presentation on saltwater fly fishing at Rod & Reel tomorrow at 7pm - come along to absorb some local wisdom and ask some questions!

The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 8:08am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice Mark, love the photo.

I went out with a friend on my boat early Saturday morning as well.  Pretty freezing heading out. We fished the Waitemata harbour around the local reef with the boat. It's a bit scary getting in close to it but it gives you access to areas you can't get to on foot at that stage of the tide.

I only hooked one decent kahawai and dropped it right by the boat but my friend hooked/had touches from a few and I think he landed 3. One was a rather decent specimen too.  I had a few more takes that didn't stick but not other fish for me.

No sign of snapper around and I didn't get any trevs as I hoped for but there was enough action to make it worthwhile to brave the cold so I might try it again later this week if the weather holds.

A video was made too, so you might see that pop up this week if I get time to edit it.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 5:36am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

So here is the video from the above trip. Enjoy. Feedback welcome as always.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 6:13am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

You gotta love those sparkling Auckland waters where you can't tell what you've caught until it is six inches under the boat But - good work on an obviously cold morning in the middle of winter
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote queenfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 7:32am
queenfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Great video 
I would have never thought of using a fly like that for kahawai around here,
similar flies I use them for carp, learned something else today.Thumbs Up
Is that metal eyes or plastic?.
I can fish for Kahawai for ever without getting bored of them, good job.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 7:38am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I think they are stick on yellow fish eyes in one of the larges sizes, not sure which one. There are many sizes and colours. http://www.flyfishinginxs.kiwi/product-categories/fish-eyes-0
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 7:44am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by FishMan FishMan wrote:

You gotta love those sparkling Auckland waters where you can't tell what you've caught until it is six inches under the boat But - good work on an obviously cold morning in the middle of winter

We did have a fair bit of rain recently which does not help the clarity. Scarily I did see the bottom a couple of times as we left Shocked
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote queenfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 8:02am
queenfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Jofly Jofly wrote:

I think they are stick on yellow fish eyes in one of the larges sizes, not sure which one. There are many sizes and colours. http://www.flyfishinginxs.kiwi/product-categories/fish-eyes-0

I was asking about the pink bead chain looking one.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 1:21pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Oh sorry. That fly was aimed more at Parore and Trevally.  They are metal and I suspect painted lead or tungsten dumbbell eyes.  It's one of a new range of saltwater flies from I Love Fly Fishing and apparently accounted for a few Parore on a previous trip for Simon.  I had no such luck. I only had a couple of no hook up takes from some unknown fish on that fly.  Caught my kahawai on a big flashy baitfish pattern I would normally throw around for kings.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote queenfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 5:59pm
queenfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Now I get it.
We usually use small bait fish or candy style flies for salmon.

There are lots of parore here we fish it with Ice dubbing fly like in the picture.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 5:45am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yeah Vince, I've seen the luderick/parore schools you've got over there. There are certainly plenty of them, but ours get bigger That ice dubbing looks the go... I must get hold of some.

I will probably wait for the shallows to warm up a bit before having another go at them though. There tends to be a few reports around here of parore/luderick on fly at the start of winter as well as more reports coming out of east coast Australia in the middle of winter. But this is primarily because this is their spawning season. Once they have spawned here we move on into the depths of winter and their activity becomes a bit slow. However, they are one of the first fish to get active again in early spring as the shallow weed edges and estuary channels warm up. Some of those ice dubbing flies drifted down an estuary channel under an indicator would have to produce the goods
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 3:39pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I went out in yesterday morning's weather gap. That's all I will say and await the comments Confused

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 6:00pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice one ,

I find Big Kahawai inside the harbours in that area duruing winter,
can be quite easy to target as they tend to hang around a bit of structure busting up bait,

my best tip in those situations of yours, would have been to motor upwind of action ,
deploy drogue and sink a Clouser, if not much current then apply action to fly regurly,
if plenty of current, limit the action.
The trick is being sure to be keeping the fly close to the bottom, if ya getting snagged on weed ya good.The Clearer the water the smaller the fly to.This technique can result in supprise catches like Gurnard and resident kelpy snaps

I was out yesterday too, action was slow but manageda couple of pannys. Dolpins were around and was nice to have light winds.
Dont despair to much, this time of year can be quite challenging for fly and lure fishermen.
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 6:30pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.  I did try deep as well with a lead core line (not shown in the video) but still no luck.  I think maybe my flies were too big and not anchovy enough? They might have just had a super picky day.  The one I hooked was on the smallest surf candy style anchovy pattern I had. I've had it difficult before but this was another level Ouch

Glad you managed to get some fish and thanks for the tips about the kahawai.  I saw some photos of our local harbour producing from the shore while was out getting...Dead so maybe I will try closer in next time.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 5:33am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Nice vid and a great looking harbour Johan I've driven past the northern shores several times, but have never explored the harbour itself. It is a great looking kingfish harbour! Also, I have a friend who has caught skipjack tuna on fly in that area outside of the harbour where the work-ups were. Obviously, plenty of potential there.

Regarding the difficult work-ups, we have had many similar experiences up here in the Bay of Islands during autumn and early winter. They can be massively frustrating. Same situation as you described- lots on the sounder but very little busting the surface and a small quantity of visible kahawai in the water.

I used to find these difficult work-ups many years ago further up the coast. In desperation one day I got my dive gear on and jumped in to see what was going on. To my surprise I found a solid layer of big blue koheru (Decapterus koheru) all charging along at great speed. Blue koheru in this feeding mode can be very hard to catch and so that solved the mystery a little bit for me.

However, our inshore difficult work-ups are in green harbour water, not the clean coastal water that blue koheru normally inhabit. Consequently the blue koheru hypothesis may not fit. Suffice to say I am not going to go jumping into that murky water in the middle of winter in order to see what they are. Maybe you should get a camera probe on a long extension that you can lower several metres into the water and solve the mystery for us

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 10:55am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks Craig.  I know the skipjack do come in close during late summer.  A friend of mine caught one on spinning gear a few years ago out of a mystery workup but I haven't seen them around in recent years.  

The area where I was fishing the work-ups is called Leigh reef.  The reef pops up to about 15 from 30m and runs east - west for a couple of kms.  Around it is sand and lots of current runs across it, which I suspect causes a bit of an up-welling so there is often lots of surface activity in the area.  The water isn't actually murky there.  It's normally rather and clean and in late summer it goes full blue at times. So there may be some potential for your blue kohero hypothesis.  I would have been happy to jump in and check if I had my gear and a dive buddy. Sharks can be a pain there though. Have seen a few bronzies and a mako there and have a had a few fish taken. So I might have to tie a sinker to my gopro on a line instead.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote queenfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 7:47pm
queenfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by FishMan FishMan wrote:

Yeah Vince, I've seen the luderick/parore schools you've got over there. There are certainly plenty of them, but ours get bigger That ice dubbing looks the go... I must get hold of some.

I will probably wait for the shallows to warm up a bit before having another go at them though. There tends to be a few reports around here of parore/luderick on fly at the start of winter as well as more reports coming out of east coast Australia in the middle of winter. But this is primarily because this is their spawning season. Once they have spawned here we move on into the depths of winter and their activity becomes a bit slow. However, they are one of the first fish to get active again in early spring as the shallow weed edges and estuary channels warm up. Some of those ice dubbing flies drifted down an estuary channel under an indicator would have to produce the goods

Yes Craig good ones here are around 45cm I have seen the ones there in fishing shows they will be great on fly.
It's funny the luderick here are winter fish.
I have seen your weed coming of the bottom in the fishing program it's mind boggling here in QLD you see small patches on the low tide, It's bit better in NSW.

I think you have to make your flies bit bigger than in the picture.

Page  <1 213214215216217 237>