Who's been saltwater fly fishing? Auckland

Page  <1 212213214215216 237>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 5:31pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah, lots of dirty water in shore soon ...
The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 1:19pm
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Managed to catch the Airflo Forty Plus WF6 on Burley cam yesterday, walked the clouser in slow and then fast strip near the boat, little buggers followed it in but no hookup.
Still trying to get that first Gurnard on the fly

The 4 R's ~ Rods, Reels, Rifles, Rooting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 1:21pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Haha very cool
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 4:40pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ooh that gurnard wasn't far behind that fly. Just see it come in right at the end.  Just shows you how the fish can ignore our offerings.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 4:52pm
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Burley cam has been really interesting over the years.
Has anyone caught Gurnard on the fly previously would be real keen to hear how, what when - you dont have to share the where.
The 4 R's ~ Rods, Reels, Rifles, Rooting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 5:52pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Real slow retrieve bumping the fly along the bottom at a crawl. They're keen on flies, but will give up on them if they're too fast moving.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 12:57pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yip Craigs right.

ive been getting them often in spring last year  in shallow,
slow drag on bottom, pause to make sure its otn the sand, then repeat.
the hook up needs to be a slow firm movement to, if ya strike quick it doesnt seemto penetrate. maybe its there big mouths, who nos.
1/0,/2/0pink over white clouser best.[alsoa good fly/ technique for Trevs on mussel spat beds!]
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote queenfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 10:27am
queenfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Not Auckland. Aust. before they disappeared.
You guys are lucky there.
Oops picture is less than 200kb must be doing something wrong 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 4:02pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Are they a winter fish in the Gold Coast Vince? You can't complain too much when you've got GTs in summer and kingfish in winter But yeah - there is a heck of a lot of pressure on that little Seaway.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote queenfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 6:04pm
queenfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Craig
Yes they were winter fish, but used to see them even in summer,
It's been three years I haven't seen them even the  GTs Tarpon and Aust. salmon,
Something is wrong somewhere.
The only way is to win the lotto come and buy a house there.Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 8:10pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Vince, I think the Gold Coast Seaway and all those inshore channels would be a fishing paradise without a million people living on top of it. I still think you've got some interesting fishing going on- and a great range of species in some fascinating habitats, but yeah, the pressure is fairly intense... and the boat noise!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote queenfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 11:40am
queenfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

You are right about noise and traffic.
I only fish during the week used to see 4-5 boats around, these days there are hundred fishing in the seaway, plus charter boats game boats deep sea fisherman add to that jet skies zooming around in and out all going through 150m wide entrance of the seaway.
It really makes me sick.
It will be OK if you fishing outside. 

Tried to download a picture couldn't find the path.
Don't know how I did it the first time.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 12:16pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Vince, to post pics choose the 'post reply' button not the 'quick reply' button. Post reply has a green tree icon with a blue arrow on it. This will take you to photo upload.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote queenfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 6:52pm
queenfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 8:50am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey folks, what has been going on out there? Any reports?

It looks like from tomorrow and into next week the wind will drop and go west making the east coast a good option. I am keen to get out.  Would love to hear what's been going on out there as I haven't been out for ages.

I have seen some reports of good catches in the shallows, even on our local reef in the inner harbour so looks like there is enough promise to brave the cold.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 2:57pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

You're a brave man to consider any fishing Johan after the crap weather the whole of the north island got yesterday But yeah, as you say, the weather report for all of next week does look promising.

I can't report on Auckland's prospects but we've still got some big schooling kahawai up here and trevally are said to be hanging around the wharves. However, all the kings have gone out to Cape Brett and beyond and snapper seem to be scarce in the shallows. Hopefully the stir up the sea has had in the last few days will change things for the better. The water was very clear before the wind hit.

In Auckland it could be a good time to chase a few of those city waterfront trevally?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 3:23pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well I saw photos of trevs from the inner harbour last weekend so I would say yes.  I hear they hang around Devonport wharf and maybe the Naval base?  It's pretty deep off there though. Do they hug the bottom or will they be up on the structure like kings?  How would you target them if fishing from a boat?

I am going to run a late start boat test from my place out west tomorrow morning so will go have a look around meola and might wander up as far as  Devonport if the weather is nice.  Any ideas appreciated. I don't think I have ventured out with the fly rod on the harbour mid winter before Embarrassed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 6:00pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Used to see them when diving the poles out from Orakie. Not sure how you'd stop them going back through the poles though. Fish smallish flies on the bottom with a small amount of slow forward motion. Rod tip touching the water with no slack. They hit and spit in an instant.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 10:34pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sounds like I will have to hold on.  Will report back if I have any success.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote queenfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 10:19am
queenfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Over here 
this type if they are schooled up down the bottom, 3-4 fast strips stop for 2 seconds, then make the first strip very very slow, then fast strips, they usual bite on the slow strip, when you come half way up drop the line back down, start again.
If they are feeding on top, strip as fast as you can.
As fishman said always tight line.
Hope this helps,
Page  <1 212213214215216 237>