Who's been saltwater fly fishing? Auckland

Page  <1 211212213214215 237>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 5:08pm
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fly fishing on the Kaipara on March the 15th a date that is forever ingrained in NZs history for two reasons.
Plenty of snapper caught on home tied bordercollie saltwater fly's, I show you what these look like out of and in the water, some burley cam footage and a couple of nice fish come on board.

The 4 R's ~ Rods, Reels, Rifles, Rooting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 11:41am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice Graeme - good work. I should be up Sat am with my boat and 1 crew if you want to team up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 7:08pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Stunning conditions on the Kaipara Looks like a perfect day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nymphOmaniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2020 at 8:32pm
nymphOmaniac View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

got my personal best snapper on the fly yesterday from the shore 44cm. so stoked. also from a spot that gets fished but overlooked where i was fishing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2020 at 9:11pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That's a nice fish from the shore. Good work.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 2:52pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

43cm snapper on pink pat swift booby - one of about 15-20 landed Kaipara this morning with a few kahawaii and mackeral. Fishing going off up there - not big fish but lots fun.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 3:56pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Sounds bloody good Those west coast harbours are always great places to visit in autum
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 5:35pm
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Something a bit different and a lot shorter for this weekends video - burley cam action with a new species caught on film (well new for my footage)

New species on burley cam
The 4 R's ~ Rods, Reels, Rifles, Rooting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 5:41pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice Graeme - gee no wonder we caught a few snapper as there was heaps of them there. 4 species i counted on the video - well done
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 12:33pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Saturday morning on the Waitemata was calm and clear - and I went on Meola reef on the ebb tide - perfect conditions. Three hours later I had racked up two bites from the sprats who were munching on my burley trail. Not a hint of kahawai or snapper.

As I was walking back I encountered three swoffers (two from Manic tackle ) heading out to reef pools exposed on the lower tide phase - probably should have joined the crowd. 

To add insult as walking back I saw that there were plenty of fresh snapper holes in the mud in the area where I had been fishing - ho hum.Embarrassed

The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 6:40pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hope you get a few next time. I didn't see any posts on social media yet so the Manic guys probably didn't have much luck either? Anyone know?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 5:50am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

No fishing in this one but a short breakdown of the flies and leader setups I use around around Auckland for anyone that is interested.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 7:51pm
Platinum
Platinum

Managed to get out on or rather in the water (wading) on a local Auckland flat. Hooked a hard fighting 43cm kahawai that put a nice bend in the rod. One fish can make it all worthwhile.

The Auckland Swoffer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 8:58pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Good work Wolfie Caught in the best way possible.

But was the wading a bit cold Or did you have waders?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 11:19pm
Platinum
Platinum

Was warmly stuffed into my 5mm neoprene chest waders. Great at 7am, however bit hot by 10 am!
The Auckland Swoffer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 6:02am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yeah, that's always the conundrum with chest waders - it's a contest between "do I start out cold, or end up hot". Probably wouldn't survive at this time of year without them though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 9:26am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice work with that Kahawai, would have been heaps of fun.  I use my old pairs of breathable waders for the salt.  Thermals underneath and you are warm but don't get so hot when it warms up later.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troutzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 3:11pm
Troutzilla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice one Wolfie,

I had a great couple sessions on the kahawai recently casting to bust ups in the shallows too.

Amazing to watch shags dart in at the last moment and snarf the baitfish off the pursuing KY.

So much fun!
It aint no use if it aint chartreuse!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 5:11pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice one Mark,
looks like those kahawai are everywhere at the mo!
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 6:02am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Looking good for the long weekend

But don't worry... it's a drought!   
Page  <1 211212213214215 237>