Who's been saltwater fly fishing? Auckland

Page  <1 202203204205206 237>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 6:18am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Sounds great Blackdog No doubt you had your hands full using the 6wt out of the boat
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 6:01pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

thought id share what ive been up to,

for the last 6 weeks ive been fishing a nice shallow area a we bit out of Auckland.
ive decided forthis winter to concentrate on this sort of fishing, meaning the sort of place that you would only choose to fish in summer and doesn't receive any pressure in the colder months and is mostly shallow.[I usually in winter attack kelpy edges and drop offs]

Anyways, have fished it at least once a week sometimes twice.
and have been having a ball, no one around, **** tons of bait, and plenty of pannys a couple of bigger models, regular sightfishing to medium to large sized Kahawai, a couple of Trevs[just we ones].
the most interesting is the action is always in we pockets, youll drift off say 10 metres and be nada, then paddle back ,cast, fish on immediately, repeat repeat,then as soon as you've drifted over sand , nothin.
there just sitting hard up against structure[but only 1to2 metres deep at most].

Just thought id share, thought it was pretty cool to regurly have a 3 hour session in a shallow backwater, in winter, in skinny, and hook into10 plus fish!
im gonna keep at it, hopefully get a chance for a dawn session to see if theres some local big boys[rekon that's my best chance]

By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 6:54pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Sounds like great action Adam Your vessel is no doubt perfect for sneaking into those sort of locations. Hope it keeps going for you as the days get colder
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 5:59pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Update,
went out Saturday, same location,
definetly colder, less fish to hand[3 in 2 1/2 hours], but bigger
40 -45cms,
this was in the middle of the day, so not to bad.
dreaming of big resident moocher at dawn, gotta  be optimisticCool
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 7:06pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Last Friday set out for first time since my op. Got boat in nice and early and headed out to the noises. Got the tide a wee bit wrong for my usual spots, but dredged a few snaps and KY for the smoker before pain levels got a bit much. Probably looked a sight hobbling up the beach to get my truck and retrieve the boat. Clown

Funny. Only saw half a dozen boats all morning, yet 2 felt compelled to drive right through the busting KY I was casting to. Ermm
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spearo2b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 11:13pm
Spearo2b View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Recently back from a overseas work trip I was itching to get out for a wave of the wand. Decided despite the weather being assholes I'd shoot down the road and give Jones Bay a shot.

Coastline was fairly green and slightly chopped up so decided on a Jones Bay lagoon mission.

To my excitement there was splashing from bait fish and mullet throughout the whole lagoon.. Flicking around a size 2 crazy Charlie clouser hybrid I managed to get 3 real nice conditioned baby snaps. Scrappy little buggers were hitting the fly on the second strip.

Was fairly happy of what I made of the evenings conditions had I been there a little earlier with a little bit of berley to concentrate the fish could've been a really exciting session.

Night time came too fast although bringing its own entertainment. As the sun dipped down I started to notice the fosflouresant algae everywhere with every cast as my line layed out the water would flash a long line of yellow.. Soon after it went dark I noticed as the bigger fish in the lagoon swam close to the surface they would trail a line of yellow was like watching a virtual reality 3d fish finder so I spent the last 30 mins sight casting to these glowing shimmers.. But my efforts were fruitless. I like to think all these fish were mullet and wouldn't take a fly but either way was really fun action for a drizzly windy evening....

Will be seeing ya soon Jones Bay.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 5:41am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

I had a similar experience many years ago Ethan. The bioluminescence in the water was intense and the sea was calm. There was a full moon. The bioluminescence would flow off the head of the fish as they swam around. Consequently the sea became filled with what looked like fireworks rockets. Then kingies moved in and we had large rockets chasing the smaller rockets. It was a fascinating evening.

The snapper stopped biting for you after dark because they couldn't see the fly. Lumo flies might work in this situation. I keep meaning to try them out, but fishing in the dark is not my thing.

Jones Bay looks like an interesting place to go fly fishing. It looks like baby snapper country, but it should be holding some bigger models after this blow. Try using larger clousers and crank up the fluoro colours if the water is cloudy.

It also looks like trevally country. I noticed that boat fishers get plenty of trevally in that area. Must be a few about for a landbased winter fly fisher
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 9:30pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Got out in the boat in weekend for a couple of hours - had two bait fishes with me - first spot in 9m close to Long bay. Berley had lots of snapper feeding but all small - got 2 on a pink booby and one clouser Pat swift styles. Bait fishos didn't do any better than me - we all got 3-4 small snaps. We moved out ot 15m to try for a gurnard in last 3/4 hour. Bait fishos landed 4 gurnard - I hokked two but lost them both before the boat. The 10 weight fourty plus line was getting to 15m - the gurnard would have taken the pink clouser fly. Need to keep trying for that elusive gurnard on fly.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 9:42pm
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice Russ, the current on the Kaipara is killing me, trying to get a fly down and hold in known Carrot locations is a struggle, I shall persevere thou.
The 4 R's ~ Rods, Reels, Rifles, Rooting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 5:40am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

I've caught a few gurnard on fly, all of them off the shore. They were in a shallow sand hole. I could see the gurnard chasing the fly. They would lose interest if it came up off the bottom. The secret to getting them was to really drag the fly across the sand.

Unfortunately they're not that common up here. I would imagine that some of the sandy bays in the Kaipara would have plenty. It would be a good place to target them with a sinking line off the shore or from a quietly parked boat. One of those things I keep on meaning to do...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 6:27pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice morning before wind got up - fly fishing with Duncan along the East Coast Bays in the fc430..
A mixture of snapper, kingfish (70cm) mackeral and kahawai responded well to the berley and Pat swift pink white flies did the damage.
A hell of a lot of fun catching saltwater fish ont he fly rod - the kingfish was a real fight for Duncan.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 7:46pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Great stuff guys Looks like the kings have stayed inshore all winter. Good weather for it   
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 8:34pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well done Redfinger, jst goes to show there are fish around all year if you have the pluck to get out on the water ...

or in my case in the upper harbour mud where no fish were to be seen.

The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 1:44pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by wolfie5 wolfie5 wrote:

I had a quick flick in the upper harbour from the boat the other day too, except I fished when there was water LOL. Alas I had the same result.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 2:50pm
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ah mud glorious mud........sounds like a good name for a song? LOL

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 5:17pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 5:55pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Jofly Jofly wrote:

Originally posted by wolfie5 wolfie5 wrote:

I had a quick flick in the upper harbour from the boat the other day too, except I fished when there was water LOL. Alas I had the same result.

I believe that demonstrates the non-reciprocal law of expectations: negative outlook has negative result; positive outlook has negative result. Maybe the same for presence of water ...🤔
The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Mad Spearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 10:15am
Mad Spearo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Was out east of Tiri in 40m yesterday avo and the gannets were going nuts so I decided to give swf a try.

Got a big ky first cast. It dived like crazy then my reel fell off the rod! Had to try to reattach it while the fish was running. Hilarious. It stopped running and just sat down deep and then I got it in. Was a lot easier getting it in than I thought, but maybe I played the fish too hard. Successful though and a lot of fun. Glad to finally have a chance to catch one.

Thanks heaps to Mike.Thomas for the rod three and a half years ago! I have used it a few times, but this was the first real chance to catch more than a little jack mack!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 4:59pm
Mudfish marquand View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

That's a decent kahawai Mad Spearo. Well done. Cheers
On the fly or not interested.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 8:45pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice fish, good to see the gannets are out there.  They are like a myth to me, I have only ever found them once, after driving miles looking for workups they were 2 min from the ramp as I came back Confused. Hopefully I will get a chance at a full blown gannet workup this year.
Page  <1 202203204205206 237>