Who's been saltwater fly fishing? Auckland

Page  <1 201202203204205 237>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 6:09am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Good work on the kahawai it's always pleasing to find fish working within casting distance.

The problem of kiwi fish heading for the kelp does your head in though. I got annihilated again on Saturday night and nearly lost my flyline. Probably wrecked it by ripping it from the kelp. Some spots the fish fight clean, other places they head for the kelp. I'm heading back to my spots where the fish don't fight so dirty next week
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 5:30pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Had a blast on Saturday,
real mixed bag of chunky snaps on the kelp edge, kahawai under terns,

and playing with a pod of dolphins that were pushing piper into the shallows, like real shallow[0.5 metre],

been using a 'stimulater' fly pattern for snaps and they really smash it.
Its brown over white craft fur, with a multi coloured wing of faux bucktail in pink, yellow and orange[just a couple of stands of each].
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 8:11pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Very nice Adam Any pic of the fly?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 10:01pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Lovely snapper, mate. "Chunky" is the perfect word. Stunning morning to be out. I love the way you do your own thing, find your own places, and nail it. Memorable wildlife encounters like the piper/dolphins are often the reward for those (like a lot of you salt fly guys) who slow down and let nature come to them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 5:15pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

cheers TK, seen ya been doing well to!
I do have my share of blank days, they get filed in the "education day' boxLOL.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 5:31pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

here ya go
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 7:12pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice snapper FBF, looks like you have it sussed.

I had a stroke of luck today. Did a day trip to Tiritiri Matangi to go take some photos/video of the birds on the island. Decided to pack my fly rod for the trip back just in case I find something.

Lots of birds sitting on the water as I headed to the island at dawn.  What a wonderful place.  Will have to go there a lot more.  The life and birdsong on a predator free paradise like that is just amazing.  Wonder what NZ forests sounded like pre-predators.  It's such a contrast to the silence in most places. I finished about 11:30am.  

As soon as I left I spotted a workup not far out from the island and promptly hooked a kahawai, pretty much first cast.  It came off and my hook came back with a scale so it must have been foul hooked?

The school moved on but I managed to land one from the tail end before making my way across the channel.  There were shearwaters everywhere and by the time I reached the end of the Whangaparoa peninsula there was a bunch of persistent work-ups. Mainly terns and shearwaters with plenty of good sized kahawai.  

Took me a while to get myself sorted but once I did I just kept drifting as the schools swam past.  Landed 6 before I decided I had to head home.  Not far from the ramp I was interrupted by diving gannets. I wanted to look for kings Confused. Only landed one more kahawai for a total of 7 in about one and a half hours worth of fishing.

Needless to say I was glad I packed the fly rod and so was the family as we had fish and chips for dinner.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 8:28pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Nice fly Adam! That craft fur looks a lot better than most of the stuff I've examined in the knick knack shops. I'll obviously have to improve the quality of the fly tying material shops I inhabit

And a nice sized kahawai Johan. I've been hanging out to get to Tiri, but Fullers want $78 and you need to stay there for the whole day . Maybe next time I'm in Auckland, but finding a whole day for it is difficult. The fishing looks interesting around the island.   
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Spearo2b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 8:33am
Spearo2b View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Tried my luck last night at getting a flounder on the fly. Saw a good number but got a lot of fly refusals. Was using a size 14hook with bead chain eyes and just a little length of red glo bug yarn as body and tail. After a few attempts this sicker moved in on the fly and with a quick flick of my wand had the hook nailed in his left eye..
Foul hook or not still claiming this as first flounder on fly.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 4:29pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Were you fly fishing at night?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 5:39pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice report Johan!
gets insanely busy round there in the weekends, so good choice on timing.

Craig, yeah I get it on my yearly bulk buy from the states, I just love the way it sways gently in the current, so lifelike.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spearo2b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 5:48pm
Spearo2b View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by FishMan FishMan wrote:

Were you fly fishing at night?

Yeah sure was, only due to when I was available to head out.. Usually have good luck there either or but the flounder was a different kettle really. I do wonder if they weren't really moving on flies as much at night cause they were all lit up in my headlight and probably didn't feel like feeding when they were watching there back..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 7:45pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yes, I have know idea if that is even possible? Maybe they might think that food has descended down to them on a beam of light ha ha. But would be good if you could get it to work... five times as many flounder on the flats at night.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spearo2b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 10:38pm
Spearo2b View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by FishMan FishMan wrote:

Yes, I have know idea if that is even possible? Maybe they might think that food has descended down to them on a beam of light ha ha. But would be good if you could get it to work... five times as many flounder on the flats at night.

Yeah that's for sure.. I have been pondering on this whole flounder fly thing for a while and even more so now I've given it a go.. My plan is over the next week to assess where most of the flounder seem to be located.. And try to use my led portable flood light to span a larger area and what for flounder to approach rather than as you say magically beaming down food to them from the sky above.. Although I am glad that on the night I caught one. There were two occasions where the flounder made a direct move towards the fl as if it were contemplating it.. I guess time will tell on this one.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 11:07pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Maybe a lumo fly twitched along slowly on the sand ...
The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 7:33am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

or a small worm fly with a bit of fluoro. Seems a bit chuck and chance but not sure how else you'd do it.
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 12:30pm
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Maybe a smaller version of this lumo crazy Charlie I tied would work - just charge it up under torch light
The 4 R's ~ Rods, Reels, Rifles, Rooting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 5:42pm
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Tough weekend on the fly on the Kaipara, had to resort to bait on day 2 to get a feed of gurnard - even then it was patchy.
Water clarity some of the best Ive seen on the kaipara in years.
Even on the slow days you gotta make your own fun
The 4 R's ~ Rods, Reels, Rifles, Rooting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 8:48am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cool, love the berley cam footage.  Some neat things turning up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blackdog Fly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 9:35pm
Blackdog Fly View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Tiri was firing on Sunday . Good schools of big fat kahawai with bellies full and still hungry for a fly. The Echo fibreglass 6wt rod was great to fish bending right under the boat and still absorbing all head shakes from the snapper under kahawai schools🙂
Page  <1 201202203204205 237>