Who's been saltwater fly fishing? Auckland

Page  <1 200201202203204 237>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 4:23pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

Awesome, that's a nice upper harbour fish on any gear, but extra meritorious in the shallows on fly gear. A few nervous moments when it was thrashing around at the end, I'm sure!

Thanks TK, indeed - a bit of a worry when I spotted it was hooked well forward on the lip -  that was when it was in was close in and fortunately by that time it had quietened down.

The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troutzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 6:06pm
Troutzilla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Great snapper Mark!

It aint no use if it aint chartreuse!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 6:17pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Boom, ripper!
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 8:49pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by FishMan FishMan wrote:

You'll have to stop catching fish on my reject flies!

Feel free to drop off any reject flies next time you’re passing through Kerikeri.....2 Ranui Avenue 😉
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 9:37pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

that's a nice fish mate, i`ve seen you there as I have paddled past you in the past, kudos to you
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 11:28pm
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Been a tough week on the Kaipara with murky water due to big tides and then the rain yesterday.
Still managed a few fish with a new species to add to my collection

The 4 R's ~ Rods, Reels, Rifles, Rooting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 8:58am
Platinum
Platinum

QUOTE=otdrmn]Been a tough week on the Kaipara with murky water due to big tides and then the rain yesterday.
Still managed a few fish with a new species to add to my collection

[/QUOTE]

Doing well in the dirty water there. 
Finding the six weight can handle most of your fishing okay?
 I've dropped from mostly using my 10 wt to 7wt now unless specifically targeting kings.
The fish-cam is very interesting - especially how snapper will have a go at anything they come across.
The Auckland Swoffer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 6:29pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

As always when the holidays are on ,
its best to stay in town and enjoy empty waters.

had a couple of great sessions, one in a backwater amongst the mangroves, a heap of pannys to hand and even a couple of  trevally,

then a session in area known for big kahawai this time of year.
bit of 'run and shoot' chaising small workups in perfect conditions with no one around,good times. 

By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 1:06am
Platinum
Platinum

Good one FBF - still fishing to be had in the harbour and the trevally are a real bonus!
The Auckland Swoffer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 7:14am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You guys need to STOP IT RIGHT NOW. Its killing me. Well done folks Thumbs Up
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 8:17am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Trevally in the mangroves Love it!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 4:47pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Some great fishing been going on here by the looks of it. Have been away, some stories to follow in due course.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 5:08pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yip those Trevs were a real surprise,specially when I was running a chunky clouser on a 20lb leader.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 5:44pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

check out this fatty I pulled out of a mangrove edge,
got a couple of others that were identical, they had quite large sharp teeth too, a good abundance of cockles in this area, definetly been getting a good feed somewhere!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 6:14pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice fish mate, still plenty around in the shallows? Do they stay all winter in the upper harbour?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spearo2b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 6:18pm
Spearo2b View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by FISHBYFLY FISHBYFLY wrote:

As always when the holidays are on ,
its best to stay in town and enjoy empty waters.

had a couple of great sessions, one in a backwater amongst the mangroves, a heap of pannys to hand and even a couple of  trevally,

then a session in area known for big kahawai this time of year.
bit of 'run and shoot' chaising small workups in perfect conditions with no one around,good times. 

Sorry but I do slightly recall a post on this forum once upon a time that said something like. "photos of flies used on trevally or it didn't happen". May have miss quoted however.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 7:06pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

I think there is a photo of Adam's go-to green clouser on the forum somewhere spearo.

They're bloody nice fish out of the mangroves. More northerlies happening this week. Plenty of good shallow water fishing to come yet.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 5:24pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Spearo, most like to ty on a small pink over white clouser for trevs.Iv had good success on Manukau trevs with a bonefish type fly, mantis shrimp imitation.Finding the buggers is 99% of the work.

Johan, na not the upper harbor, ive been unravelling the mysterys of a 'other' fishery.
access is a ***** ,bit of a running aground and dragging the nucanoe,winging it navigation  scenario.
but cause of that, some good fishing to be had im hopeing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 7:04pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Almost always worth going the extra mile others don't if you can. Good work. Look forward to seeing more results.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Spearo2b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 9:22pm
Spearo2b View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi all.
Went for a bit of a flick on Saturday morning with a mate who was bait fishing around the gulf harbour area. Positioned ourselves off a nice ledge and plonked out a salmon berley. Within 10minutes there were large schools of piper, mackerel, small ky, and few small trevs dotted amongst them, about an hour went by with no luck so we moved up the coast abit.

As we started to round the corner we noticed a fairly large amount of birds working the service scattered in about a km of water. With the odd ky splash definitely within casting distance off the rocks. By this stage berley had gone so I feel I can claim pure fly haha. Tied on a very sparse anchovy imitation and on the second cast had a follow and solid strike fought really well and sent it straight for the huge kelp forests that were almost everywhere. This happened yet again and again.
Until I finally managed to get two to the net in about half an hour.

Great fun was had. While this was unfolding my bait fishing friend had managed to catch and release four just under legal size snapper.

Great day on the water getting the line wet for the first time in a little while. Good to see a few of those workup still busting up the coast.
Page  <1 200201202203204 237>