Who's been saltwater fly fishing? Auckland

Page  <1 199200201202203 237>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 11:12am
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

What kind of paddleboard are you using? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spearo2b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 12:47pm
Spearo2b View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Haha there has been a few moments where a splash on my berley bomb has made me wonder about our toothy taxmen having a nibble at the board. And I am just using a 9ft ozoboard it's not set up for fishing at all just using the platform has loads of volume and very stable so seems to be working a treat.. I have just tied a bridle system off the front end which I can either tie off to markers or drag a drogue to slow drifts down..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianMikeNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 1:11pm
CanadianMikeNZ View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nice one! Good to see another SWF SUP fisher! 

I have just started using a 13"2 Red Paddle Co Voyager.. super stable and pretty rugged for an inflatable too. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 10:35am
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Went softbaiting from the kayak last week off Narrowneck. Didn't take my fly rod but I did tie a salt fly from the hook of my softbait as a "dropper" which actually picked up a couple snapper. Thought it might be of some interest to the multidisciplinary enthusiasts here. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 5:29pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

good idea,
that system will come to best use when ya encounter Kahawai b ust-ups on anchovies[that ya get this time of year], unless ya got a small fly youll struggle for hook ups.
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 1:03am
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Got out Sat morning at PChev. Flat calm, clear water and some pillies for burley. But a bit late to get onto the sand bank proper due to arriving too late as water too high to wade across. No response to the pillies in first hour, then thought I saw a snapper swim past a few meters away. 
 A few minutes later the line went tight and something hefty was going up current making big swirls. I had the rod in a good bend then the line went slack ... reckon I had fouled a stingray. 
As tide turned to ebb some sprats were getting hit about 30m away. Changed to a baitfish pattern and did my best to reach but still short of the action. Then got a good hit on the fast retrieve and the fish lit the afterburners and had me into the backing in a few seconds. and then the line went slack- hook broken at the start of the bend!
1/0 stainless steel gammy hook and fly only used once before - arrghh!
A couple of random sprat chases after that (no hits)  and one 20cm snapper released.
Some exciting stuff but would have loved to have seen if the speedster was a kahawai or a rat king ...Disapprove
The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 5:48am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Oh no! Bad luck Mark! My guess is big snapper - hard first run, crunched hook... not an uncommon big snapper trade mark. You'd better start reevaluating the size of the snapper you've got there at Point Chev. Don't think hook was a Gami, fairly sure they don't do stainless, but stainless hooks are notorious for breaking like that.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 11:50am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good stuff Mark, been some awesome weather of late - very snapper-ish conditions. Good to see you’re making the most of it
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 2:06pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yip craig  might be onto it,

some bigger than usaual snaps been caught this autumn in the waitemata
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 8:25pm
Platinum
Platinum

A few years back i lost my biggest snapper on a fly at Pt Chev after being run into the backing several times and then line broke because of the teeth chomping on the nylon. Havent  lost a fish since as changed to 10 kg fluro ever since. 
Now I gotta use 3XS hooks?Shocked
The Auckland Swoffer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 3:38pm
Platinum
Platinum

I am now able to update my biggest snapper on the fly as of this morning. A nice six pounder (2.7 kg for the imperially ignorant) on a crab fly off Meola Reef. On the 7 wt Method.

Thought it was a stingray at first the way it ran and then thrashed like crazy on the surface. Luckily it didnt have any nasty thoughts of going into the rocks but managed to turn it when it had a go at diving around a mangrove.

And a bit of video of the momentous occasion ...

The Auckland Swoffer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 4:06pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Woohoo Well done Wolfie!   
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 4:28pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

well done - great effort
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 4:28pm
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Awesome
The 4 R's ~ Rods, Reels, Rifles, Rooting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 5:08pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mean well done
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 6:48pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Awesome, that's a nice upper harbour fish on any gear, but extra meritorious in the shallows on fly gear. A few nervous moments when it was thrashing around at the end, I'm sure!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 8:06pm
jac View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Kudos! to you Wolfie n the hatch
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 11:10pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by FishMan FishMan wrote:

Woohoo Well done Wolfie!   

You can take some credit - it was a small crab fly of yours that did the trick ...

The Auckland Swoffer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 12:12am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

You'll have to stop catching fish on my reject flies!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 7:28am
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by FishMan FishMan wrote:

You'll have to stop catching fish on my reject flies!

Hmm - but the fish dont reject them!
The Auckland Swoffer
Page  <1 199200201202203 237>