Who's been saltwater fly fishing? Auckland

Page  <1 192193194195196 237>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 4:21pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Definitely caught the kingfish disease there Fraser!

Those shallow water kings are every bit as challenging as a brown trout  and as unpredictable. But the key is keen observation and dogged persistence.
I was out at dawn on Saturday and after best part of an hour watching didn't seen any movement, so started to walk off to chase kahawai - then after 200m suddenly spotted a wake, then a tail in the air ... so spent next hour up and down following but never getting close enough for a shot.
Then no more wakes and then went chasing kahawai with a crease fly. And finally landed my first ever fish on a popper - even if it was one of the smallest kahawai I've caught lately ...
However something big was around as there were some big explosions on the surface and the next kahawai has some odd injuries on it - from a kingfish or a cormorant?

The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 5:09pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Far out hes been in the wars Mark!

Great Report Fraser, good times. those shallow water kings aren't like what people expext.

everyone one of my spots has a different'Hatch' that changes constantly even thothere all pretty similar terrains. 

yould expect the salt to be so different fromfresh, but the similaritys are remarkeable.
whould think that if you were going to chase a 1metre fish ya better be sure to carry some flys  tied on 1/0 hooks!
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 8:11am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Mark, that looks like a shag bite to me. Have seen it a few times before on trout.  The holes are most likely where that sharp tip of the beak went in, ouch!

Nice report Faser, you got me itching so I finally went out yesterday. Report to follow soon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 8:35am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

So I went out for my first trip of 2019 yesterday and really my first trip for the summer.

Launched at Takapuna and headed for some channel markers early on. They were all packed with Kings and I soon had the hoodlums smashing poppers.

Unfortunately a lot of "Mickey Mousing" had me lose a lot of fish by not set hooks properly, busting off on the take, wrap around the reel handle etc. etc. so I only landed one rat! There were plenty around but by 8am they were gone from the markers so I moved onto some kahawai schools and landed a few before I went on to explore a nearby flat I had not been to. The wind was nasty, chopping it all up and I had missed the tide as well. At least I know what it looks like now and it certainly has potential.

After that exploration I went back to the Kahawai to get some for the pot. They proved a bit frustrating as they were extremely spread out and fast moving chasing anchovies. Eventually I worked out that just drifting through the area and letting them come to me was more effective than chasing down the ghosts. Soon landed my fill of chunky ones and took some for dinner before I headed off.

Great day to start the season and plenty of fish around. The kahawai were all the way from Milford down to Devonport and spread out a lot. They were fast moving in the arvo while in the morning they were more concentrated and easier to catch. When filleted they were stuffed with anchovies.

Here are a couple of pics:

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 9:22am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice one Johan, great to hear your getting out there.  Sounds like a hell of a morning bro? Jealous as hell hey Cool

Wished id stayed on up north.  My work always goes really quiet in the new year.  We had to come back so my wife could get back to work, but realistically I could have stayed on and fished Ermm    Worst bit is we just had a huge front come through and put most rivers into flood, so looks like I there aren't many trout options until the weekend really. Unhappy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (6) Likes(6)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 10:11am
Platinum
Platinum

Finally got an eat this monrning on a crab pattern , sight fished at close range on a shallow flat.
20 minutes later got the mug shot of the greenbacked hoodlum ( 83 cm ) who ripped off about 200m on my 7 wt outfit and had me chasing him for about 300m. Certainly made the Hatch's drag do some serious work!

My best land based capture so far.
The Auckland Swoffer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 12:12pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Way to go Wolfie! Well done!! That is one helluva capture on the 7wt!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troutzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 6:31pm
Troutzilla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Great capture Mark!! Well done.
It aint no use if it aint chartreuse!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 7:33pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice work Mark - boom!
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 9:27pm
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks guys - it has taken a while to get one this season!
Re-learned to keep fingers away from reel handle spinning at high speed Ouch

One tip/reminder - changing the fly is a good tactic after a refusal. 
 Started with a crease fly which was followed some distance and then the kingfish veered off and disappeared. So changed to crab fly and made sure to put it far enough ahead so it was on the bottom before the fish was in range. A few slow strips and boom!

The Auckland Swoffer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 10:50pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The Waitemata Ness Monster??

Great capture, will live long in the memory. Were you fishing ******** during the week? I saw a dedicated soul fly fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 6:11am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

TK, sorry, but I modified your post to hide any reference to possible personal fishing spots. I have no real idea where Wolfie was fishing, but if you wish to ask him a location then it should be done via PM.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 7:46am
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

The Waitemata Ness Monster??

Great capture, will live long in the memory. Were you fishing ******** during the week? I saw a dedicated soul fly fishing

Most likely - was chasing kahawai in the channel out by marker buoy. Caught three that were the smallest I've ever seen- about 8cm long!
The Auckland Swoffer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 7:53am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very nice well done. And rightly keep your spots to yourselves Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 9:56am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by FishMan FishMan wrote:

TK, sorry, but I modified your post to hide any reference to possible personal fishing spots. I have no real idea where Wolfie was fishing, but if you wish to ask him a location then it should be done via PM.

No worries, Craig, sorry about that. I didn't think there was any issue with that friendly query as it is very well publicised small kahawai and snapper spot through a well known salt water fly blogsite, which regularly features numerous high quality photos which clearly show that location. To me it was like asking 'was that you i saw out at Meola?'.

As a couple of the other flyfishos on here would attest, I am very conscious of not mentioning their kingie spots in public. I respect that side of your sport, for sure, and the sensitivity around kingie flats in particular, and would never ask them to tell me where they fish. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 11:27am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Good onya TK. Meola kind of protects itself by being at the end of giant minefield of sharp oysters that take more than half an hour to traverse. It's one of the few spots I know of that people talk about openly.

You'll notice too that magazines like Fishing News never show photos that give away a specific location. Nobody owns any particular fishing spot so publishing any material that blows the lid on some specific locality is just going to piss off all the other people that fish there.

It's just about impossible to keep any location a secret forever, but I do think it is a good idea to make people work hard for that sort of intel 😊

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 12:36pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Its part of the fun too learning new area's. Real fisho's get it. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 3:30pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice work Mark, stoked for ya,Thumbs UpCoolClap

I can quite happily share my spot at moment, no chance of getting invaded by Auckland fishos!
the 'Roaring fork river', Aspen Colorado!
yip believe it or not in the height of kingy fishing im up to my knees in snow,-5 degrees,8000feet above sea level.chasing we trout.
will be in the Florida keys next week, lookin forward tosome warm conditions and possibilitys.

yip theres a lot of people trying to suss out the shallow kingy spots, mostly conventionals, not likely C&R, so diminishers opportunitys for others.
but really that's a kiwi thing,regardless  of your fishing methodClown

But as guys like Muppet and TK have shown me, theres actually a **** load of posssibiltys to be had[kingy sightfishing wise], its just time that's the enemy!
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 4:25pm
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks FBF, been trying to apply some of the tips you've passed my way over the last few seasons. 

Time is the biggest challenge - to actually just stay still to observe patiently and attentively is rather challenging when there are no wakes or fins to be seen!

The Auckland Swoffer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 8:45pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Awesome catch Wolfie, that's absolutely fantastic!
Page  <1 192193194195196 237>