Who's been saltwater fly fishing? Auckland

Page  <1 23456 237>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote matto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 9:06pm
matto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Wolfie , I went for a stroll at the local secret spot , with my 6wt for a  pure fly sesh, water was murky , the wind was strong and the rain was wet, however after a while of moving around looking for some clear patches I got this guy- made it worthwhile. I cannot do our date on the shell bank tomorrow hope you have a good one, out of sync again it seems .Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shoreefishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 8:23am
shoreefishing View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Well done matto, I fished it briefly in Tuesday but couldn't find any clean water and came home empty.

Hopefully the weather gets better this week for a return visit.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 8:29am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Matto, that's a nice fish. I like to mix up berley fly with pure fly sessions. Both require different approaches and make you apply fly fishing in different ways.

Had good success on purple and pink interceptors yesterday (berley fly) in post-flood water that looks a bit like green tea mixed with milk Smile. This must have proved something as I have found bolder colours are better than white/silver/yellow in low viz water.

So yeah, I'm tying up some dull tan numbers for the sparkling waters of Aitutaki..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 8:58pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Got out to Pt Chev this morning. Bit breezy, water a tad murky, but also hooked up two small snapper fairly quickly in the main channel on a small fly I borrowed from Craig ( try to return it on my next visit!).

Then nothing for quite a while until tide turned and put on a large 2/0 interceptor-ish which got nailed by a kahawai with aerial capbilities ...

All on the 5wt which handled the wind and the heavy flies much better than I expected.

Also saw several large swirls which didn't look like predatory chasing, maybe mullet? Certainly no hits when I cast at them.Cry

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 9:11pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Aha! I've been wondering about that glaring hole in my flybox Wink LOL

Nice kahawai jumping pic.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 6:54am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Here's some action for you. Kahawai and 'fish' plus muttonducks and terns herding anchovies and pilchards up onto the beach at Rothesay Bay. Interestingly, we had the same action at Longbeach in Russell, although it stayed just out of casting range.

Looks like no trouble getting to this lot.

Picture found on another site on the web. Action was yesterday - Sunday 25th.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote matto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 7:59am
matto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good work Wolfie, thats a great fattie kahawai and by the look of that east coast bays action we might be in for a few more.Nice timing on the Kahawai jumping pic.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shoreefishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 3:10pm
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Craig

Well I couldn't resist after seeing those east coast bays workups. Dashed home from work this morning and grabbed the rod and heading around the corner to Torbay.  A large workup was developing between Waiake and Winstones Cove.

Well had a great fun hour landed about 12, both on popper and whitebait fly and now back to work ha-ha.

The whitebait were so scared they had beached themselves in rock-pools.

Anyhow lets hope for more of the same in the coming weeks.

Cheers

Wayne
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EditB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 5:24pm
EditB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Matchin the hatch nice one
I do not lie about fishing, I willingly participate in a campaign of misinformation.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 7:54pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

That's cool Wayne. Gotta love the power of the internet.

Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shoreefishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 10:23pm
Bronze
Bronze

Yeah Craig

I spent a couple of hours on Sunday having a beer with a few friends at the new pub at Browns Bay , looking out to see watching terns diving. So I needed to get amongst it today.

What are your thoughts abouh these workups are snapper in an amongst those kawhai in close?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 6:03am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

More trevally than snapper in the beach work-ups usually. If you're over sand you've got to get your fly really low on the sand to get trevally, but there can be a lot there. This is in the Bay of Islands at least, don't see why East Coast Bays should be any different. If anything - it is better trevally habitat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote matto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 12:11pm
matto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yep , the Kahawai have begun to move into the harbour after the anchovies , Cam got this guy and then a snapper that was almost 500mm by suspending a baitfish fly at rods length in the current. He had been seeing swirls and having mysterious follows, looks like the snapper had been ambushing baitfish at his feet. Hopefully Cam will confirm what diet both fish were on?. I managed a few snapper around the 30cm mark , but I think cams fly was a better match.Damn nice to see such a epic fight from a fat Kahawai , hope Cam's knuckles will be further encouragement to upgrade his 10 wt reel! BTW cam makes fish seem smaller than they really are.Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 3:53pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Matto, that's good to see. Looks like snapper and kahawai are getting bigger as the season progresses. We get kahawai chasing anchovies around right up on the mudflats at this time of year. Good fun wading around in knee deep water casting at explosions everywhere.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mike thomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 8:33am
mike thomas View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Had a fish on Sunday with Matt, Lewis and Steve, the later two visitors from the UK, We started at Meola and fished it fairly hard for only a couple of small snapper, the currents were very strange, seemed to be flowing one way on top and the other way under the surface and I think this is one reason we did not do better. However Matt managed his first decent Kahawai on a Popper fly, it gave his 6# a real working over! I managed a good Kahawai not long after and then it was time to head off.
We had a quick bite to eat then headed to the shell banks at Point Chev, the fishing was again very hard, no sign of any Snapper, I wonder if they haver started to depart for the winter?
Anyway it was a good fun day and I know the two English visitors loved every minute of it, Thanks to Matto again for sharing his knowledge of the reef and the fishing with two keen visitors.
I will try to sort out a pic of the Fish tonight.
All the best.
Mike
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 10:43am
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by mike thomas mike thomas wrote:

Had a fish on Sunday with Matt, Lewis and Steve, the later two visitors from the UK, We started at Meola and fished it fairly hard for only a couple of small snapper, the currents were very strange, seemed to be flowing one way on top and the other way under the surface and I think this is one reason we did not do better.

Had similar experience at Meola during an easterly wind in Feb - currents in the channels looked to be going opposite way to normal in some places and got no result from those - but in the pools it fished OK.

Roll on Easter and next opportunity to get out there!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote matto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 4:28pm
matto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

"However Matt managed his first decent Kahawai on a Popper fly, it gave his 6# a real working over! I managed a good Kahawai not long after and then it was time to head off."
Nup it was Lewis how scored that Kahawai and then you got your thumper , gee do I have to keep all  the scores !
Great day thanks , and even though we were zilched at pt Chev its always interesting to fish two spots on the same day for a comparison. I think that s/e brezze and small tides were against us. Very cool to see those big fat Kahawai around.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mike thomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 6:29am
mike thomas View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Quite right Matto, a bit of a typo there!Embarrassed
Here is a couple of pics of the Kahawai
All the best.
Mike
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote matto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 6:40am
matto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

its a biggie !Thumbs Up 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rudy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 8:44am
Rudy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Wow.  Rotund!Smile

Page  <1 23456 237>