Who's been saltwater fly fishing? Auckland

Page  <12345 237>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote matto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 8:13am
matto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Trev at the Chev with his mighty six weight.
The man is a machine, it took a while for the fish to come on and for us to work out where they were , however when we found them we were shoulder to shoulder casting across each other , well I was behind him trying to sneak my fly to where  he was casting, we caught 20 between us, and only 5 were mine. It was a real pleasure to see him really working his fly system so well , 6wt , small fly , jerky retrieve , about 1 meter leader. I am convinced the sensitivity  all added up to him feeling the tease and turning touches into hook ups , I even started fishing one of his flies , otherwise I really am just a @#$% fisherman.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 8:31am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

ClapClap

Gee, must be time for Trev to go home now..  LOL

Picture of secret fly please Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote matto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 8:42am
matto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

ha ha , its a small marabou tail with a brown sparkle fibre head and dumbell eyes , he calls it a "interceptor " Yes time to go now Trev , put down the six weight and walk quietly away!LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 11:09am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well that's a fine way to end your trip Trev.
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mike.Thomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 12:45pm
Mike.Thomas View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice one Trev, have a safe journey home, see you next time.
All the best.
Mike
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 4:28pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by matto matto wrote:

Trev at the Chev with his mighty six weight.
 It was a real pleasure to see him really working his fly system so well , 6wt , small fly , jerky retrieve , about 1 meter leader. I am convinced the sensitivity  all added up to him feeling the tease and turning touches into hook ups , I even started fishing one of his flies , otherwise I really am just a @#$% fisherman.

This season has been quite different for me.  
In the last few years the routine was bigger flies, #2 to 2/0 and the snapper would virtually hook themselves 100% on the strike. This time round most success has been on smaller flies than previously and the snapper often seem to have "shy" phases where they are nipping the fly.

Maybe they're getting educated?Geek
Maybe I need to change down to a 5 kg leader from 10 (and get wiped out by a decent fish 5 mins later...)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote matto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 5:33pm
matto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

we were both fishing 10 kg leaders Wolfie, perhaps they are getting shy , I think it's more likely food source, small flies have been working for me, and then I have been mixing it up especially once I have a couple of fish in the bag, then I have been going through my fly collection trying to see whats working.I am about to tie some new ones based on that session, Trev way out fished me.He also kindly gave me a spare 6wt rod that would not go in his luggage so that will be interesting to help figure that session out.It was also a very specific strike zone and once on the spot he did not budge !LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 7:35pm
Platinum
Platinum

I agree Matto, I have found Pt Chev to be a place where it often pays to search around for the fish rather than expect them in the same place all the time - but once you find them they will usually hold in the same spot for a while, even without burley!
To  "match the hatch" is always a good starting point for selecting a pattern. But like Craig was saying not too long ago, he will tie a fly with over-sized clouser eyes that wouln't shame a booby fly bouyancy aids for size. And it isnt to sink faster but to anchor it in position because snapper like slow/stationary presentations.  And not knowing that you could fish the fly "incorrectly" as a standard streamer and miss the advantage it offers over a standard dressing.

This could end up like a trout fly dressers who obsess over what breed of bird a hackle came from is correct or not - but the fish don't care, of course. I think the thing is to be able to present a fly in the best way that suits the water clarity, depth, prevailing current, lighting conditions etc and be representative of a prey form enough to attract the fish's attention.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 10:49pm
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think the "delicate" takes to standard takes are nothing to do with food source or "getting shy". I think it's just how snapper feed sometimes in most every season. They have been doing it a lot more this season because of the changeable conditions but it happens with them every year at different times... just probably encountering it more this season... just stay sharp.
www.clarkreid.co.nz   FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote matto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 9:57am
matto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Here is Trev's small interceptor version, reading wolfie's response and looking at the fly it would have a obvious head down stance when in pause mode , confirms what has been said, and the success of the CW interceptor pattern. I agree with Clarks comment's re soft takes , and find that the tentative nibbles can change to confident smashes with a tide change , time of day, weather etc etc -The other fly is a zonker tail fly that has been working for me, however I think I will go for bigger eyes and get that stance thing going on.These are small hooks my flyliner hook has a gape of 10mm.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shoreefishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 5:58pm
shoreefishing View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi guys

Thinking of having a flick on meola tomorrow if the wind and rain stay away.

Any thoughts if that would be a waste giving water clarity etc ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 10:59pm
Platinum
Platinum

Hey matto, here's an interesting variation on the theme of a "stand up" fly ... possibly a bit more risky to snag, but maybe a better position to set the hook when striking?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 11:05pm
Titanium
Titanium

Nice... I like them all :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 11:06pm
Titanium
Titanium

You should see the sorry excuse for a fly he got the Kingie on... my God... it was not a Draper's Snapper Fly, it was a remnant of a Draper's Snapper Fly... I was simultaneously intrigued and disgusted byt he kingfish for eating it... LOL Can't argue it worked though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote matto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 6:33am
matto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I got to see that fly - shocker , worse that just a hook with a bit of fluff - that goes to show it's always easy to over think these things. 
I really like those flies Wolfie, will be interesting to see how we go after this discusssion?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote matto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 6:56am
matto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hi shoreefishing,
if you have a chance and  an inclination to go fishing I would say it's never a waste of time, especially with meola as it has so many little nooks that all do different things on different tides and weather. Personally a warm n/e wind is my favourite and really brings the snapper on the bite , I suspect there will be patches of clear water and I am sure you could fish the side with the wind to your back, however if you can fish into the onshore that might be where the fish are ?? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 11:06pm
Platinum
Platinum

Here's a google earth photo of the tip of Te Atatu Peninsula - so are these marine crop circles or some ancient Maori fish traps or ???
 And most importantly - are they any good as fishing structures?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 8:05am
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Are they not the old high tension power line footings? A guess I admit.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote matto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 9:16am
matto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Wolfie , since its so close to home for me I should comment, they are rock structures designed to help the sand /shell build up and create those mini beaches ( enhances property value?) and minimize erosion? Thats a guess . but they are fairly recent additions. As for fishability , yes they do offer some structure for kingies or Kahawai to stalk around on the high tide , and there is sign of snapper grubbing , the bottom is a mixture of mud/shell and some underlying volcanic rock. I have only checked it a few times on the hightide from the shore looking for kingies cruising the shallows. I have seen one working a little gutter near some mangroves once.There is a little mangrove area with dry shell towards the top of the photo which I am sure would be fishable but have only waded out once to try.Like so much of Auckland Harbour fish will certainly appear at times , it just seems to lack an extra element to make it a consistent fish producer. Having said that , this season has shown me to not make judgements based on a just few attempts.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 12:44pm
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks Matto for the info. Used to fish off the concrete piers at Mission Bay as a kid, spinning for kahawai - an easy way to extend your fishing zone. Which reminds me to try the new ones they built at that beach as they were a easy fishing spot into reltively deep water at high tide.
Page  <12345 237>