Who's been saltwater fly fishing? Auckland

Page  <1234 237>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2012 at 1:51pm
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good work all... Yes our Kings here (rats) are bigger than most years too...
www.clarkreid.co.nz   FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mike.Thomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 6:43am
Mike.Thomas View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That is some fantastic fishing Flygimp! Nice.
I never measured the snapper so not sure on excact size, but can confirm the fillets were very tasty!
All the best.
Mike
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 10:50am
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

after spending a few 'work' hours going through these forums, as an Auckland based trout fisherman and someone who spends far more time thinking about fly fishing than my girlfriend would like, think its about time to give this SWF a crack! anything to put a bend in the fly rod after work - looks like a heap of fun! Later in the week looks pretty good for weather and tide?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mike.Thomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 11:42am
Platinum
Platinum

Hi RC17, Early Friday look good for Meola, I may hit from around 6:00, low tide is about 8:30 so a couple of hours at dawn should be good.
If you can make it drop me a pm.
All the best.
Mike
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 3:45pm
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

For sure Mike! my thoughts exactly...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 4:49pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by flygimp flygimp wrote:

Had six kings today - 4 over legal size, best 80cm. All lovingly returned and no fingers in gills...

Nice fish there Brent, sweeeeeeeeeeetttt
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 12:34pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Was out the other afternoon chasing the kahawai schools off east coast bays.  Was good fun.  I caught some small ones on fly but was mostly driving the boat.  Lots of schools around but not a lot of big kahawai. Lots of juvenile and medium sized ones.

Probably heading out again this week thurs/friday.  Have to catch up on fishing before I head off accross the ditch.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flygimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 10:03pm
flygimp View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Nick F Nick F wrote:

Nice fish there Brent, sweeeeeeeeeeetttt

Cheers Nick, every angler gets one red letter day a year I reckon. 
Still trying for a big pink slab off the reef though. Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2012 at 12:02pm
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

went out for my first ever SWF this morning on Meola - success! Caught my first snapper on the fly 3rd or 4th cast (and thought hey this is pretty straight forward Tongue), ended up managing a couple more nice little snapper and a kahawai. Caught up with Mike and he was nice enough to show me a few spots and give me some tips! beautiful morning on the water, great fun on the 6 weight Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote matto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2012 at 1:12pm
matto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

good work rc17 , easy eh!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mike.Thomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2012 at 9:53am
Platinum
Platinum

Went out Friday early morning, it is "interesting" crossing a thigh deep creek in the dark, while wondering if there any nice stingrays about. It was great to watch the sunrise from the reef.

I caught one nice pannie in the dark, then another just as rc17 turned up. He managed his first on fly.

and a few others as well, not bad for a first go rich!
Not long after that we moved a bit further out and I managed a nice Snapper from this spot, then rc17 had to head off to work.
I fished on for a few more fish including my best of the day

Just after this I hooked a very good fish that dealt to me big time, busting me off on the reef after I had coaxed him out of the kelp and was just thinking I might be in with a chanceOuch Estimating size is hard I know but I think it may have been in the 5 to 6 pound range. Ah well next time.
It was pleasure to catch up rc17, thanks for the company.
All the best.
Mike
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushkid2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2012 at 10:37am
Bushkid2 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Myself, a mate and some random Hillbilly from up north went for a last minute fish at Meola picket fence last night surprisingly it was deserted of other flyflingers. Me and my mate fished with a bit of burley thrown in where ever we tried whilst the Hillbilly from up north went purist style refusing to use burley (he was however seen fishing downstream of our burley).
Hillbilly landed the first and most likely biggest fish on one of his flies that he found in my flybox whilst complaining about the lack of good flies in said flybox. We continued to try a few spots along the reef before being chased off by failing light and lack of a torch. All up it was a nice evening with good company and a few or more fish thrown in. No kingfish seen but never mind.
 Thanks for coming for a last minute fish Craig and hope the drive back up north was not  too much torture, yee gods it must have been late when you got home. I was in the pooh when i got home as I didn't ask if I could borrow Sev's rod but was forgiven because i said you used it not me (she gets real ratty with me borrowing her rods because I have habit of breaking them).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2012 at 3:23pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Rod was beautiful (thanks Sev Thumbs Up) flies were awful. You really should steal some good ones Smile.

I was highly stressed after the maniac drive through Auckland traffic, then I had to share the reef with two others. Still a great place though.

I did note that if you want to be a purist and wander around a bit with an untainted fly you will find the snags Angry.

I did notice there are some nice patches of crushed oysters developing in the most popular spots..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2012 at 9:21pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Meola picket fence was 2 strong on Sat morning. I tried a bit of popping and hooked a small kahawai. Then RC17 wandered by on the way to Pool Number 1. I wandered over while he was pulling snapper out like a hungry otter in a trout farm. Interesting to see a real world example of selective snapper - he was getting hits on a small pink Yoshi thingy while my 2/0 interceptor was completely ignored - but then maybe the fact the originator had recently trespassed on Meola had put the fish off that pattern ...Tongue
So I changed to a size 8 whitebait fly and started getting hits despite the increasingly turbid water as the wind picked up and the tide rose.
One odd thing - about half of the snapper I hooked went into weed and stuck there. Luckily the spot was close in so I waded out and pulled them free! Has never happened before even with my bigger ones here- anyone else had this happen?
And burley does work - I found at least three large chunks of pilchard in one of my keepers - no purist snapper here, Craig!

Good fishing with you RC17!

Then I hooked a few keepers on the tiny fly ...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2012 at 9:47pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

So now the pools have names. Which one's are Wolfie's Reach and Matto's Mud Hole ? LOL

I really like being a purist Cool because it seems to make all you lesser mortals grumpy LOL .

I'll be out there again with my ghillie sometime soon.

Good to see the reel getting some use Thumbs Up.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2012 at 9:55pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

And all my flies come with a clause that states "the fly designer is not responsible for the fishing ability of the bloke on the other end"  LOLLOLLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 9:23am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Hope someone got a last few moments in on Meola this morning. Raining here with weather collapsing. Looks like a virtual TC hitting us directly. It's going to be a fly tying weekend. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 12:27pm
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

great to meet you wolfie, was nice to fish without having to rush off to work afterwards Smile im still wondering what it was the gave you the working over...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 12:28pm
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

*that gave you . post st patricks day spelling....Dead
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 2:26pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by RC17 RC17 wrote:

great to meet you wolfie, was nice to fish without having to rush off to work afterwards Smile im still wondering what it was the gave you the working over...
Had forgot about that - think that the speed was more kahawai than snapper but in those few seconds was only certain that it had more weight behind it than the ones we pulled out. Another Meola mystery monster missed!
Drop me a pm if you want to see some of the other pics, Cheers.
Page  <1234 237>