How to fillet a snapper

Page  <123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2014 at 9:41am
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Good thread BB. If you keep the fish in salt-ice overnight and do them the next day, the flesh has set, they are much easier to fillet, and there's little or generally no blood.

Personally I don't gut the fish as all that does is release a heap of bacteria in the gut which can ultimately spoil the fillets. If you take the fillets off without cutting into the gut cavity and keep them dry they'll keep for days. The frames can be then tidied up and used for stock,, heads/wings smoked, whatever.
Online...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2014 at 6:15pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

http://www.freefishheads.co.nz/

If you do not want heads/frames go here and find people in your area who will take them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Godders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 6:51pm
Godders View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

So you dont scale a snapper and fillet it the next day.That blade seemed very sharp by my standards.do you sharpen them yourself or jusz buy a new one.I tried scaling and then had a bit of trouble getting the skin off.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 8:44pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Good qustions Godders.

I prefer to leave the whole fish on ice overnight then fillet them whole, exactly the way Grunta suggests in an earlier post. Scaling a fish will make it harder to skin and if you are going to skin then I would leave the scales on and the gut in when I fillet them.

Not bragging but I couldn't tell you how many fish I have filleted over the years, it is a whole lot quicker than trying to make a video and do it. About one to two minutes is all it takes for most fish. I didn't invent this method or anything like that, I have just seen a lot of people fillet fish and that is how I started doing them years ago after watching others do it and I still go the same way.

That knife wasn't particularly sharp, as promised Grunta arranged for the good people at Victory knives to send me one and it is a different style of knife, easy to sharpen and holds its edge. Thanks Grunta, I really value that one.

Yes I do sharpen my own knives, I've been doing so since I was a kid and I'm only average at it even now. To most people they think my knives are sharp but once you've used a truly sharp knife you'll understand.

At the moment I'm making a knife, it will probably look like a kid made it but ahhh well we have to try these things Big smile
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2015 at 1:38pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

been a long time since I watched that vid, is that a victory blade smudge? i got the same shape blade (rounded end) from victory.

as for sharpening, i personally like leaving a burr on my blade as it creates a little more saw action which gets through scales piss easy. i also have a 600 grit diamond wand for a few swipes to refine it a bit. i dont feel the need for a steel or strop anymore for fish. just my personal take on it.

i personally do gut them after if after roe as i love smoked fish eggs on toast. but i fillet them first. i never let my fillets touch any kind of water. i wipe them with a paper towel if there is the odd scale, but i clean my board often to avoid scale build up. also as i just fry fillets usually with no flour or batter the scales come off anyway.

i also use the backbone and head for soup, but i do cut away spines and gut cavity and gills with snips if im using the back bone for other stuff.

gonna have to brush up on my gurnard skills now im seeing the size  of gurnard caught out in the cook straight :-)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 11:11pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good video/thread. I'm a competent, but slower filleter. Having said that, Northland fish are bigger Wink

My technique is similar, but I start in the gap underneath the skin at the dorsal fin and work my way up/down. Cut over the ribs from the inside.

All my fish get the iki (done properly!) and straight on to ice. I'm often filleting within an hour or two of catching (yes, jetskis are fast!) which makes the job a bit harder. "Set" fish are definitely easier to fillet.  

I never wash fillets in anything and stay well clear of the gut cavity. I like to keep the blade sharp and clean as I go, especially if doing a few fish. Fillets are vac packed and put straight in to freezer or fridge depending on our needs.

Have a growing list of people at work who are super keen on heads/frames, so they always go to a good home. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alaxpol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 10:09pm
alaxpol View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Wow Nice Video 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 9:06pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

read somewhere about bleeding snapper after capture

you might want to give it a go, also makes for better eating as well
iki first, turn snapper up side down, knife under the gills, artery is right in by the back bone, cut, bleed it, wash off in sea water, about a 30 second job after iki
the fillets appear more whiter & stays fresh longer in the fridge plus no blood in the fillets that you might get when filleting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 11:05am
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Totally agree BBoat - have been bleeding mine lately and your comment ..."Fillets are whiter & stays fresh longer in the fridge plus no blood in the fillets" are spot on. Well worth doing in my view. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 4:32pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We have also noticed over the last couple yrs, the same as we gut as we catch
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Derek F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 7:56am
Derek F View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We bleed and gut on the boat because we eat the "wings"  
And the trouble is, if you don't risk anything, you risk even more...Erica Jong
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Derek F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 7:58am
Derek F View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We also scale them under water in a fish bin on the boat.
And the trouble is, if you don't risk anything, you risk even more...Erica Jong
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote waynorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 9:08am
waynorth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Derek F Derek F wrote:

We also scale them under water in a fish bin on the boat.

I only scale fish I'm going to bake whole, but that's the best tip I'll read today Thumbs Up
treat fish like fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 9:38am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I scale and gut my bait fish on the fillet bench... mullet KY occasional carp before cutting cure/ freezing.
put the head of the fish into a plastic bag.. the old supermarket banned ones.
 Been thinking about when I run out thu.
The larger brown paper would stay open better.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 10:14pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Scaling fish underwater is the best way. no mess at all. I learnt that one off lethal :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 4:54pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

best fish scaler ever invented, can do it in the sink in the house, no flying scales
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 8:31am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have something like that..white with red nobble thingys,  was a xmas present several yrs ago from one of the grandchildren.. and sat up on the shelf never used...
Always used a serrated butter knife...
Now more than a though "I wonder" and a must do.
 Thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2019 at 5:55pm
Mudfish marquand View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

nice information helps all
On the fly or not interested.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2019 at 6:37pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

I have something like that..white with red nobble thingys,  was a xmas present several yrs ago from one of the grandchildren.. and sat up on the shelf never used...
Always used a serrated butter knife...
Now more than a though "I wonder" and a must do.
 Thanks
Those Turbo scalers are the best thing. I had one 30 years ago. dunno where it went
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2019 at 7:29am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Finally tried the scaler after a trip up the harbour the other day (in manukau reports).
 Scaling some KY to salt up for bait.

Yep was very surprisingly impressed

Dont know if "turbo" brand..
This is something very similar, maybe re branded

https://www.burnsco.co.nz/shop/fishing/fishing/fishing-accessories/burnsco-fish-scaler

Page  <123>