How to fillet a snapper

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to fillet a snapper
    Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 9:43pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Since I posted the hugely popular 'How to fillet a gurnard' series the offers have flooded in and I have made another foray into the world of mega stardom and fish butchery.

This is how I fillet a snapper....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 10:29pm
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well done Smudge - I always wash my fish and the taste is fine. I think the secrete is to make sure you don't leave it sitting in juice. I either dry my fish with a handie towel, or put it in a colander to let the juices run off. It easily keeps 3 days in the fridge without tainting.
The solution to any problem - work, money, love, whatever - is to go fishing - the worse the problem the longer the fishing trip should be.

"I have a lot of very large problems"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 10:45pm
Bushpig View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice Smudge.

I do it the same way, except I skin before cutting out the bones in he middle of the fillet
I would rather laugh with the Sinners, than cry with the Saints
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2012 at 12:17am
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

great Smudge...

Bushie how about one of you ripping the guts out with your teeth mate....
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ahab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2012 at 10:34am
Ahab View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Good work Smudge, very useful. Very little waste on your fillets. 

I also like to cut the cheeks out and scrape the frame with a teaspoon for mince to make fish cakes. Get a lot of extra bits and pieces:

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2012 at 10:52am
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Awesome Smudge....next fillet-o-rat please!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2012 at 11:14am
Bushpig View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Lethal Lethal wrote:

great Smudge...

Bushie how about one of you ripping the guts out with your teeth mate....

I'm soft now, just use my hands. But that's a great way to gut and gill a fish
I would rather laugh with the Sinners, than cry with the Saints
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2012 at 11:19am
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Good work on the videos Smudge !  Just had a natter with the team at Victory knives they'd like to replace that machete with a real knife........... you have a brand new Victory filleter coming your way soooon!

Online...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2012 at 12:02pm
JW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice work. I missed the hugely popluar how to fillet a gurnard seriesCry. Is there a link?
Those fishcakes look good. Do you have a recipe for them?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2012 at 3:02pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

The link on how to fillet a gurnard is here

http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/how-to-fillet-a-gurnard_topic76365.html

It is a pinned topic in the newbies forum so if you look at the threads in Newbies it will be one of the first ones right next to this one.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2012 at 3:10pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Yeah Ahab the cheek meat is good stuff too but on small fish like those little snapper it's a fair effort for very little meat, we get as much as we can off the larger fish and if we dont give the frames away we sometimes use them where we can too. The chooks get a frame everytime as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tas-tackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 4:07pm
tas-tackle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Herbed Fish Cakes                 Nice with a bit of sweet chilli sauce for dipping
Mash some potatoes and add an egg,  some herbs such as thai seasoning or mixed herbs and some snapper "bits"
Mix in 1/4 cup of fresh finely chopped parsley. Form into balls or cakes and coat with flour,  breadcrumbs or maybe "coat and cook"  
Fry in a little oil and butter mix till golden and cooked through..

FIsh Cakes / Fritters              Best prepared by using an old type hand mincer
Ingredients:
500g snapper bits..  500g potato .. salt and pepper..  1 tbsp mixed herbs..  1/2 cup FRESH chopped parsley  sprinkle lemon pepper..  little lemon zest
1 cup breadcrumbs ( or use "cook n coat" ).
Method:
Mince the fish on fine blade. Add all the other ingredients and mix in well. Set aside.
Using a separate bowl, mince the potato and drain off the excess liquid. Place the potato in a clean tea towel and squeeze to remove excess fluid..
Drain off any fluids from the fish mix and add the potato and combine well. Form into patties dip in breadcrumbs and shallow fry until golden brown
Variations:
(a) You can make mussel fritters using this same recipe with pre-steamed mussels ( reduce quantities )
(b) Make seafood fritters using minced prawns, crabmeat, and mussels and add a little fish.

http://www.tas-tackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 5:20pm
JW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sounds like a good staightforward recipe, cheers Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote zzzke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 8:54pm
zzzke View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Ahab Ahab wrote:

I also like to cut the cheeks out

I reckon the cheeks are definitely the best part of the fish Wink

When I wasnt so lazy, did eat fish on the bone, good steamed with some cooking wine, some ginger, a leaf of spring onion, maybe a dash of coriander and salt
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Huggybear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 2:14pm
Huggybear View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Great vid smudge. I've always followed the 'experts' advice in not washing the fillets in fresh water, but as you say it washes away the scales and other stuff. I always find scales are a pain, especially when you are eating a cooked fillet and bite into a scale or three, but when I have scaled the fish before filleting to avoid this nasty occurrence the fish does not fillet as easily as when the scales are left on. Thanks again.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Greenhornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 12:36am
Greenhornet View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good vid and great recipe , well done boys.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SeaI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2012 at 2:00pm
SeaI View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

if you can remember, take a bucket of seawater home for washing fillets or in lieu of that just make up a bowl with a couple of table spoons of table salt and tap water, works a treat
Kei uta ngā ika
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote got no boat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2012 at 2:22pm
got no boat View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Seal I find the best way to keep fillets fresh is to not touch the fish with water of any kind after you have left the sea side. If they need a clean I just use a paper towel or a quick rinse before cooking works well.
If a 6 was a nine... I don't mind
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2014 at 9:11am
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Usually I gut my fish, then fillet them later on, or a few days later
The last few days, they were not gutted. I filleted them about 2-3hrs after catching them.... blood everywhere along the full length of the fillets. It happened with 4 fish like this (all iki spiked first)

Good video as well, especially like the non flex heavy bladed knife
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2014 at 9:28am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

BB - how did you manage to pull up a 2 year old thread? 

I guess that was probably the last time Smudge caught a snapper though LOL
Page  123>