How to fillet a gurnard

Page  <1234>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 2:41pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Goddards...(Green River brand) went to stainless a long time back.. then produced Green River and Victory..And only in the last couple yrs, obsoleted the near century old Green River  and replaced with Victory.. same knife.
 I think it had to do with an American 'green river 'brand (??)

Hi Steps,
You're right, big US knife maker Dexter Russell (still made in the US) uses the Green River name for some of its knives. 

Dexter Russell do hickory wooden handled Green River carbon steel filleting knives which are stocked in some knife shops in Australia. Quite a narrow, flexible blade, though.

BUT, you'll be pleased to know that according to the Victory Knives 2020 catalog, they still make Green River carbon steel knives. They just don't do a filleting one. See p61 and p64.

"... Very well known with the older generations in the New Zealand rural community, Green River was the only knife you needed."

E Goddard has used the Victory label for a long time (since 1945), as you know. It's always sobering when I see the memorial rock at Howick Beach to his son Roy's two young sons (13 and 11) who drowned there along with a friend one winter evening 1956 - went fishing in a dinghy and never came home. Roy carried on the business for many years.

Any of the Victory knife models starting with 1-xxxx are carbon steel, and the ones starting with 2-xxxx are stainless. I think they have stopped making the filleting knives in carbon steel, hence me going to the shop to ask. I was stoked when they dug around and found one. They still do lots of the butchers and skinning knives in high carbon steel.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 6:33pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 7:15pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Anyone else having shaneg’s link to the video fail?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 7:24pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Think we fixed it!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 8:06am
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yip fixed thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 9:15am
Titanium
Titanium

Nice one, mate. A very simple process you've honed there.

Good on you for giving the video a crack - next, a 'how to catch gurnard' and in a year or so you'll have  a million subscribers and be living off your channel!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 9:32am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The Secret in that and other videos.. the  glove. (edit: spell correction pointed out below)
Without the clove one just bangs ones head against a wall.
Its only a $9 on special stainless weave elcheapo...and works better than the expensive chain mail gloves.

Not to stop cutting yourself, or stop getting spiked  (spikes go thru it)
It enables to get a good grip on the slippery fish. you have full control.. full control means it moves where you put it and it doesnt slip and you dont cut yourself either.

Down side to the weave clove, after awhile it does become  harder to clean.. an occasional throw in the dish washer does wonders Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 2:16pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The Secret in that and other videos.. the  clove.
Without the clove one just bangs ones head against a wall.
Its only a $9 on special stainless weave elcheapo...and works better than the expensive chain mail glovesWink

Steps, what is the clove?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 2:32pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The clove!

Our Shane a man of action not words!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 2:44pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

Goddards...(Green River brand) went to stainless a long time back.. then produced Green River and Victory..And only in the last couple yrs, obsoleted the near century old Green River  and replaced with Victory.. same knife.
 I think it had to do with an American 'green river 'brand (??)

Hi Steps,
You're right, big US knife maker Dexter Russell (still made in the US) uses the Green River name for some of its knives. 

Dexter Russell do hickory wooden handled Green River carbon steel filleting knives which are stocked in some knife shops in Australia. Quite a narrow, flexible blade, though.

BUT, you'll be pleased to know that according to the Victory Knives 2020 catalog, they still make Green River carbon steel knives. They just don't do a filleting one. See p61 and p64.

"... Very well known with the older generations in the New Zealand rural community, Green River was the only knife you needed."

E Goddard has used the Victory label for a long time (since 1945), as you know. It's always sobering when I see the memorial rock at Howick Beach to his son Roy's two young sons (13 and 11) who drowned there along with a friend one winter evening 1956 - went fishing in a dinghy and never came home. Roy carried on the business for many years.

Any of the Victory knife models starting with 1-xxxx are carbon steel, and the ones starting with 2-xxxx are stainless. I think they have stopped making the filleting knives in carbon steel, hence me going to the shop to ask. I was stoked when they dug around and found one. They still do lots of the butchers and skinning knives in high carbon steel.

My GR carbon steel knife is a wider than most filleting knives and I wonder if that's because carbon steel has a tendency to break if mistreated? I know that the ductility is entirely dependent on the grade and quality of the steel used but I still see lots of old carbon steel knives such as mine and skinning knives but very few boning or filleting knives? Maybe it's just a matter of economics? You can easily get top end carbon steel knives in those patterns. I dunno, just random thoughts
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 2:47pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Thanks for posting the video Shaneg, looks like a sharp knife. Everyone has their own style - there is no right or wrong way and you have clearly filleted a few Thumbs Up
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 3:27pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A short knife would work well for Shane's method.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 3:33pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by sbeehre sbeehre wrote:

great video's smudge! I've been trying the method where you cut off the top spikey fins, break the back bone and pull the head, guts and skin off in one go but i will give this a try next time.
I've seen that but need a video to show me how to do it properly.
I'll fry the skins up by themselves.....nice!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 4:39pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

[

My GR carbon steel knife is a wider than most filleting knives and I wonder if that's because carbon steel has a tendency to break if mistreated? I know that the ductility is entirely dependent on the grade and quality of the steel used but I still see lots of old carbon steel knives such as mine and skinning knives but very few boning or filleting knives? Maybe it's just a matter of economics? You can easily get top end carbon steel knives in those patterns. I dunno, just random thoughts
[/QUOTE]

I had to confess, Smudge, i don't know anything about the shape of butchery style knives - ie. boning versus skinning.
But Victory do a "straight boning" and a "curved boning" knife in high carbon (same model is available in stainless too) for pretty modest prices. Eg.

I suspect that it's hard to find high carbon filleting knives these days because the majority of fishers buy stainless. Most can't be bothered having to go through the steps to look after high carbon ones. They finish filleting, have a beer or two and a yarn with their neighbour and by the time they get around to cleaning their knife it's already going to have marks from not being immediately cleaned. Or they leave their knife on the boat without any care whatsoever.

Some of the knives I see being used on boats and filleting in a communal setting are so poorly looked after it's a wonder they cut anything.

This 14" high carbon knife from the US by Old Hickory looks like a couple of the ones I inherited from my poppa. I use them for cutting up snapper frames for soup. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 4:41pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Thanks for posting the video Shaneg, looks like a sharp knife. Everyone has their own style - there is no right or wrong way and you have clearly filleted a few Thumbs Up

I wonder if whacking the top fins off like in Watson's clip and then slicing down like Shane does with no skin to impede the slice...

Yes many ways of skinning a cat, Smudge.

I do a far better job or closer to the bone by tail up to head and over ribs versus starting at head/shoulder and working down.

And of course fish well chilled is the key, but I must try bleeding as well as iki to see if better in the carving and eating dept.

The traditional slide to head roll knife under wing and then carve to tail, stopping and turning over to do the otherside and then skinning from tail end was a Blue Cod Sth Is method first and foremost...

Good discussionsThumbs Up
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 6:56pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for feedback on video guys.
As you might gather it was a struggle technically to do one for me... makes me appreciate what went into Smudges, Matt’s and Knifetech efforts, which are far superior.
By the way I am not a mute as Dan (Muppet) does know,  but was just focusing on simple visuals as first try. Clearly no good at multitasking and when nervous prone to reverting to a phoney welsh accent... and didn’t want to offend any welsh people..
With a sharp knife you don’t have to cut down from top first , and can roll knife down near head to bring fillet off, for probably as a good result and have been doing that myself on some fish.
Fishb8 you are right, a shorter knife would be better.
Knife shown is the longer Shimano .. has been going 6 years does everything reasonably well,  including snaps. I have the shorter Shimano version still in packet (won in a comp), which will open when current knife expires. Did think about opening for video. But sharpening brand new knife with the diamond steel used at beginning of video would be false representation.
I have a beautiful wheeler which is one I take away for marlin, spearfish, kings, and tuna.. don’t it use everyday/all the time for table fish.. it is heavy duty knife for cutting big stuff.
For boning etc we use a very nice long blade Rapalla (also won in a comp) It is kept in kitchen, lovely knife, never gets dirty on blood and guts stuff. For fine cutting.
Anyway probably wouldn’t say I will do another video anytime soon, as didn’t appreciate work and technicalities involved, but happy managed to put something up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 8:11pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Fishb8 Fishb8 wrote:

Originally posted by sbeehre sbeehre wrote:

great video's smudge! I've been trying the method where you cut off the top spikey fins, break the back bone and pull the head, guts and skin off in one go but i will give this a try next time.
I've seen that but need a video to show me how to do it properly.
I'll fry the skins up by themselves.....nice!

Here is a vid I found.
This was how my old man taught me but I'm not convinced it is any better than other methods.  In fact filleting the trunk looks awkward as you have removed the bits to hold onto.  If you are going to leave as a trunk then fine.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 8:30pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Haha just ribbing ya Shane
God just posted on facebook a video of this morning, still sound like Tommy Shelby after over 22 years here.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 8:45pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Would you cross Tommy Shelby???
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 9:03pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Haha just ribbing ya Shane
God just posted on facebook a video of this morning, still sound like Tommy Shelby after over 22 years here.
All good mate, wife reckons I should be on mute most of time. Occassion clearly got better of me this time, who knows what I might have said. LOL
Page  <1234>