How to fillet a gurnard

Page  <1234>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2012 at 10:13pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I only leave the skin on if frying them or if I'm grilling them whole.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raggy Assed Rigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2013 at 7:52pm
Raggy Assed Rigger View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

That smudge is a good bloke
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Southkiwi42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2013 at 8:20pm
Southkiwi42 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for the info on Filliting any extra knowledge is good knowledge Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Godders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2014 at 3:56pm
Godders View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks for the video.very helpful.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BrieDenver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 8:01pm
BrieDenver View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

This is amazing! Thanks for sharing these videos, man! :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 9:02pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great advice and video from Knifetech...

Very easy method to fillet Gurnard.Cool

Great advice for beginnersClap

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 11:33pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wow Al, that was a great video .Thought I was good at gurnard filleting, lot to learn from that.. loved way he thinned fish out and made it go further, and his cooking was pretty good too.
Might have to buy knife tech product ... very informative. One best things outside    “catch of day” I’ve  seen on here.  Actually better than catch of day in terms of my reality.
Love his knife angles filleting,  including boning. Do prefer skin on but can adapt lot of what he did.
I catch few gurnard (18 last weekend) so was very relevant.
Thanks Shane
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 8:28am
RockCrashing View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 6:24pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yeah that is good but not sure pin bones (backbone ) are out? Or one around gut flaps.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 6:44pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes I know that method, down it a few times, still have to fillet and debone/pins, etc.
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 7:10pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Some good tips there for sure. Matt Watson loves the tongue in cheek stuff and likes to take the piss out of the old school stuff  which incidentally I find quite funny and really like his style but that method is what I call a party trick - you must go to some boring parties Smudge -  because you still have to fillet the fish afterwards unless you want a tube of tasty but dry fish with bones.

The Knifetech video is great, some really good pointers there, My only comment is I prefer to leave the skin on as gurnard isn't an oily fish and leaving the skin on helps to prevent it from drying out. Great advice though - perfect for the newbie - well done Knifetech. I'm going to have a smooch around that website later because knives are cool.

The Pommie vid is pretty good too but they are different fish to what we have, very similar though.

Good stuff
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 7:12pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Yes I know that method, down it a few times, still have to fillet and debone/pins, etc.

Hehe yeah me too, plus it's messy and those fish are spikey critters

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 7:57pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

I'm going to have a smooch around that website later because knives are cool.

Smudge, if you're ever over Ellerslie on a week day, pop in to Victory Knives' factory - they sell for cash (no Eftpos, actual cash!) over the counter. The ladies hunted around the warehouse shelves and dug me out the carbon steel one I was after.
I presume they are still there and selling in the factory shop. It's just around the corner from the NZ Fishing News office, so you can pop in and see Grunta and co at the same time.

Great to support a local business, and I love their knives.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 8:28pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

I'm going to have a smooch around that website later because knives are cool.

Smudge, if you're ever over Ellerslie on a week day, pop in to Victory Knives' factory - they sell for cash (no Eftpos, actual cash!) over the counter. The ladies hunted around the warehouse shelves and dug me out the carbon steel one I was after.
I presume they are still there and selling in the factory shop. It's just around the corner from the NZ Fishing News office, so you can pop in and see Grunta and co at the same time.

Great to support a local business, and I love their knives.

TKK, I'm not a fan boy of name brands but I do know a good product when I see one. I own a fair few knives and I have 3 Victory knives. The first courtesy of this website and they represent great value for money.

I have a few other brands, Green River (nice in carbon steel & vfm) Victorinox (same), Svord (cool) Victory rip off no name brand (surprisingly good) Rapala (I don't rate it at all), one I made myself  (a hunting blade) a Wenger (really nice) and a heap of other stuff.

My favourite filleting knife is still the 22cm Victory. Buy local
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 8:54pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Let me maybe show you another way tomorrow night,  once have few to fillet,  Its not as clean or quick as above.  Never done a video before to post but surely can’t be too hard.
What  I like on knife guys video (2 back) was his boning technique - that was better than what I do. Real learning.
With Smudge on not taking skin off, as that’s not how lot of us like it. But that was optional on knife guys one.  Gurnard skin off is sin.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 9:03pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I’ll also run some average knives as well and show you how to hone them.
Did like other system however that knife guy showed.
But there’s an old school way to that with smaller investment. Most buthers and the best fishing jeweller ever,  who taught me, will know it.
God I talk a lot of compost.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 9:58pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

Let me maybe show you another way tomorrow night,  once have few to fillet,  Its not as clean or quick as above.  Never done a video before to post but surely can’t be too hard.
What  I like on knife guys video (2 back) was his boning technique - that was better than what I do. Real learning.
With Smudge on not taking skin off, as that’s not how lot of us like it. But that was optional on knife guys one.  Gurnard skin off is sin.

Awesome. I'd love to see your video Shane, yes .. taking the skin off a gurnard is some sort of sin
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 10:00pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

God I talk a lot of compost.

We all do at times. 

Keen to see your knife sharpening techniques. My son is a butcher and he does a pretty mean job. My knives tun out ok too but he takes them to the next level
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 1:00am
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hey Smudge.
Hardest part will be getting wife to do the video. 
She’s sort of on board with it but reckons she’ll do the boning part as apparently I’m useless at that, She hates bones in gurnard (and any fish bar flounder) . So looking forward to her demonstrating her skills. Provided we can find her a sharp enuf knife
She bones it for mother-in-law law, who is of a similar complaining disposition, so will be interesting.
All dependent on catching some tomorrow, but pretty confident I can deliver on that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 10:39am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have a few other brands, Green River (nice in carbon steel & vfm) Victorinox (same), Svord (cool) Victory rip off no name brand (surprisingly good) Rapala (I don't rate it at all), one I made myself  (a hunting blade) a Wenger (really nice) and a heap of other stuff.

My favourite filleting knife is still the 22cm Victory. Buy local

Goddards...(Green River brand) went to stainless a long time back.. then produced Green River and Victory..And only in the last couple yrs, obsoleted the near century old Green River  and replaced with Victory.. same knife.
 I think it had to do with an American 'green river 'brand (??)

And yeah , go to to fillet is the 22cm victory.. the wider blade filleting knife,( I have both).
Page  <1234>