How to fillet a gurnard

Page  123 4>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to fillet a gurnard
    Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 7:10pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

OK I'm not quite a legendary movie producer but I have made a series of filleting vids. I'm really looking forward to the Oscars next year....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 7:18pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Part 2 here ....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 7:20pm
Fletch View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

LOL Brilliant, part 2 please!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 7:20pm
Fletch View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ninja'd
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kenshin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 7:34pm
Kenshin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

BRilliant! THanks Smudge.. aka Gurnard Guru!  I like to leave the skin on my carrot aswell.
Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger. –Herbert Hoover
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 8:40pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice one Smudge - part one was hard to hear over the TV noise in the background, but you figured it out for part two, mouse was a nice touch too! Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 9:05pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

And Part 3...

Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BigHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2012 at 5:54pm
BigHead View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Awesome video! Love the rat on the floor LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZFisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 11:28am
NZFisher View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fantastic videos Smudge! I need to go catch some carrots so I can practice my new found skills!
I trust you won't mind if this video finds its way into NZFisher?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ahab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 12:22pm
Ahab View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Great vid mate. Any chance you could do a John Dory? Can usually feel my way round the ridges of bone, but would appreciate seeing how you do it. Kingi would also be helpful for some, especially skinning them (if you don't eat the skin).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 9:58pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Wow that's a little spooky I had a phone call tonight from a guy (Johnny) asking how to fillet a Johnny Big smile true story!

It's been a while since I've caught a JD or a king for that matter but I'm planning a fishing trip out around Waiheke in a couple of weeks so if I catch some target species I'll give a how to vid a go.

As you say Ahab it is the ridge around the upper part of the JD that throws people but they usually fillet alright although the skinny part around the lateral line makes it seem like you've screwed it up but take it slowly and you'll be ok.

Kings are ok to do but skinning may present problems for some but the hardest fish to skin would be a trevally.  I find a wider very sharp knife best but I have heard others say they prefer a knife thats a little less than sharp. I find a sawing action best for skinning but you have to be quite gentle doing this with a trev as the skin is so thin with very fine scales. Having said that, of all fish, trevally would have to be the easiest to fillet - just hardest to skin!

All fish benefit from a good chilling down for a few hours to set and firm the flesh before filleting.

Sounds fine to me Derrick, the time for a gurnard session is near....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2012 at 8:47pm
Speedy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yup, Agree Smudge, the trevs are a bugger to skin with a knife.... but, their skin / scales do peel off remarkably well. Once you've taken the fillet off there will be a lose flap of skin on the 'shoulder' of the fillet. If you can get a grip on this you can pull the outer layer of skin and scales away from the flesh - leaving all the shinny colour on the fillet! It takes a bit of strength in your fingers to get it started, but once underway its just like skinning a cat...LOL Next time I come across a trev I'll take a vid of the process... BTW, the rat was classic!
Proud supporter of Ronald McDonald House & the team at Legasea

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2012 at 10:42pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

It would be good to see that Speedy. If you can post it up in Newbies with its own Topic.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sbeehre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 7:48am
sbeehre View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

great video's smudge! I've been trying the method where you cut off the top spikey fins, break the back bone and pull the head, guts and skin off in one go but i will give this a try next time.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 11:17pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Try it sbeehre, it's cleaner, faster, easier and way better. You can also fillet them the same way I do the snapper in my snapper filleting vid.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Greenhornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 10:58pm
Greenhornet View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The Rat bit was a classic ... fell off the chair laughing , good filleting too lol Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marta88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 10:30pm
Marta88 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for the video! Filleting has always been the hardest part of fishing for me
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 11:58pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Marta, it is for most people and it certainly was for me too. I've been lucky enough to have caught plenty of gurnard to practice on! The next hardest part is tying knots....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki-Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2012 at 10:01am
Naki-Fisher View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Awesome Nice work smudge Thumbs Up
The 20lb+ Snapper club No Longer Eludes me Broken with a 12kg new PB
Goal for the next 12 months: catch another 20lb+ Snap and watch it swim away
Hook a King LB here in the Naki.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brooook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2012 at 5:40pm
Brooook View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great vid - also loved the rat. I can fillet a blue cod with my eyes shut but everytime I fillet a gurnard I get spiked when I hold the head.

How do you cook them with skin on? 
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.............Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day drinking beer,
Page  123 4>